Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Maiden's Quest» Forums » General

Subject: The new Maiden's Quest Rulebook is ready! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi Everyone!
We wanted to share our new rulebook for Maiden’s Quest—now in the Files section. We think this is going to be a big help for clearing up any confusion, and for new players getting into the game. It’s going to replace the old rulebook and quickstart guide in future reprints. Let us know what you think!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Battaglia
msg tools
This rulebook looks much more user friendly! I’m excited to play the game. Is there an estimated date yet for the next printing that will include this revised rulebook and fix any card errata?

Thanks! Love the theme, and I seriously can’t wait to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Unmanned Space Exploration - Science Over SpectacleMicrobadge: I do card magicMicrobadge: Big BangMicrobadge: We are all made from stars!
I had set my copy on a shelf, as I had far too many questions to feel comfortable playing. Now I can get it back to the table! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezbak390
United States
flag msg tools
"The steps you take don't need to be big. They just need to take you in the right direction." -Jemma Simmons, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Microbadge: I sneak board games into the houseMicrobadge: I love Indian foodMicrobadge: I smell new games!Microbadge: Dimension fanMicrobadge: I carry my games with me EVERYWHERE
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
I had set my copy on a shelf, as I had far too many questions to feel comfortable playing. Now I can get it back to the table! Thanks!
What table?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
Microbadge: AtheistMicrobadge: Unmanned Space Exploration - Science Over SpectacleMicrobadge: I do card magicMicrobadge: Big BangMicrobadge: We are all made from stars!
Rezbak390 wrote:
Colorado_Jeff wrote:
What table?
lol Good point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: I like multiplayer solitaire!Microbadge: Victory point salad fanMicrobadge: BABYMETAL rocks!Microbadge: Atheist
Still very confusing, for example:

- It says you can cellar cards in the fan when running from obstacles, but I thought it was confirmed that this was not possible (it was mentioned somewhere in the threads).

- It still doesn't specify whether the upgrade action of your Maiden can be used in a fan as well or not.

This is such a cool game, too bad EVERY time I play it I have to re-read the rulebook, check threads and whatnot. Might just give up on it and play Palm Island instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narciso Jaramillo
United States
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: 2018 Herculean SupporterMicrobadge: Silver Board Game CollectorMicrobadge: Level 02 BGG posterMicrobadge: "Wow, this movie's really drawing me in… to a deep well of despair."Microbadge: Piano Player
The other basic thing it's missing is explaining up front that when you Cellar cards from your Fan, you get to bring more cards into the Fan. The first place it mentions this is in the description of Distract, which makes it sound like it only applies in that case. It should really be explained in the initial glossary where Cellaring is defined.

Otherwise, though, it's better overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you for the suggestions! Luckily, the new rulebook hasn't gone to print yet, so we were able to incorporate the answers, add refilling your fan to the glossary, and make it even clearer. To answer your specific questions, you cannot cellar cards while running, and you can use your Maiden's upgrade when she's in a fan. Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The thing that struck me in this new ruleboook was the mention that you could upgrade/downgrade a card once before resolving the encounter and then once again when resolving the encounter.

Until then I always played that a card could only be up/downgraded once overall (either before or when resolving).
It gave you the ability to sometimes "protect" a card by upgrading it before resolving and then being immune to a downgrade when losing the encounter.
On the flipside, it also prevented you from re-upgrading a card that had been downgraded by a savior during your encounter.

Was this a change made to the rules for the second edition or did I misread the first rulebook and played it wrong the whole time ?

If this is a change to the original rule, would you mind explaining the reasons for it ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pointnthink wrote:
The thing that struck me in this new ruleboook was the mention that you could upgrade/downgrade a card once before resolving the encounter and then once again when resolving the encounter.
This is a change from the first printing of the rulebook. It's intended to clear up confusion over the issue, and to make it so you don't need to remember exactly what happened during the encounter when resolving the outcome of the encounter. If anything from the first printing is contradicted by the new rulebook, the new rulebook takes precedence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for clearing this up.

I'll try out this new rule tonight and see how it goes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v capps
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
The new rule book looks much better, especially the addition of all the examples! A few remaining questions/comments...

Challenging (page 10)
-----------
For icons that don't count toward "Any X", green icons are mentioned, but it only shows green arrows. Other green icons (like the green melee on Gwendolyn's card) do not count toward "Any X", right? It might help to list more than just the green arrow icons. [Also on pages 16 and 31.]

Red icons (part of Savior downgrades, like the red charisma on Kendra the Warrior's Saved side) are not mentioned. Those also don't count toward "Any X", right? [Also on pages 16 and 31.]

Challenging (page 11)
-----------
It would be helpful to mention here that downgrades on cards in the fan must be performed before resolving the encounter.

Rest cards (page 20)
----------
The "The exception" wording of the 2nd paragraph is a little confusing. I initially thought it referred to spinning or flipping the rest cards to increase them to the next level, but that suggests that the rest cards do not change after applying excess damage.

Overall, nice work on the re-write!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback! We’re making the finishing touches and the final rulebook will be up shortly.

To answer v capps' specific questions, Icons under upgrade/downgrade arrows do not count towards Any X.

Happy Questing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arielle
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: I have a heart for boardgames and boardgamers worldwideMicrobadge: I love solo gaming!Microbadge: KawaiiMicrobadge: I love RPG Geek!Microbadge: Atheist
Anyone gotten a copy of the game with the new rule book in it yet? I want to buy it for a friend, but would like the gift to have the new rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Oakenshield
msg tools
mine just came in today. to be honest how do I tell if its the new rulebook? I havnt opened it yet, ive been really busy, but Ive heard a lot about the game, most is good, some just find it too hard to play because of the rules. guess ill find out! Im guessing after I get me game set up and cards I can just take them with me in a deck box or something smaller because I wont need the other cards unitl a different game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls