Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At 300,000 euros we unlocked these...

Custom engineer meeples for each faction. Cranio said these were just conceptual and they were still working on the final design.

However since then we've seen nothing of custom faction engineers only the same generic engineer for all factions.

So what happened? I assume we're not getting them but why? I certainly care more about having production promises kept rather than promises for intangible things like 6 month exclusivity so what gives on this seemingly forsaken stretch goal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me these pictures seem like a rush job, done with a phone at low light.
The stuff is spread around hastily and obvious errors were made (white pieces in the Leeghwater, orange, expansion).

There’s also discussion about the score track being recessed or not. Honestly, I can’t see it but your point of taking a closer look at “37/38” gave me enough doubt to start worrying.

It’s becoming a very peculiar project...
I’m glad that I had the chance to play the game at Spiel, so at least I know it’s going to be a great game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I have no doubts about the gameplay. Simone Luciani is one the best and most consistent designers working today so on that front I breath easily.

This kickstarter has just been so weird. Obviously it's Cranio's first kickstarter but it's not their first published game so I would expect better from them. They've also backed dozens of kickstarters so they should have a basic idea of what not to do, like not delivering on stretch goals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tsaar wrote:

The stuff is spread around hastily and obvious errors were made (white pieces in the Leeghwater, orange, expansion).

Since the expansion comes with 5 special buildings for each color, I bet the white peices shown in the expansion photos are those special buildings for the white player and the photo is just missing the rest of the orange pieces and the special buildings for the other player colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Seipert
United States
Lehi
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Talking Board Games
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also bummed about the score track. They changed the one from the KS page and after people chimed in saying they liked the old better they said they'd switch it back. Looking at the 3D board in their photos of the most recent update it would appear they didn't revert the score track design after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vittorio Dal Santo
Italy
Casale Monferrato
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moreover, I really can't see any linen finish on any faction board or punchboard... that was another unlocked feature.
Oh, and also no UV spot on the boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo De basica
msg tools
mbmbmb
I miss custom markers and solo game cards/tiles as well.

Another point is the colour change without advices....in campaign blue player and elegant colours and now, these stark green and red plus b&w... weird.... ok, colourblind, but to help 10 people, 4000 other players are getting funny stuff. i imagine that colourblind people are used to get blue, red, yellow and green and they survive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
OR
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
cgmcgm wrote:
Another point is the colour change without advices....in campaign blue player and elegant colours and now, these stark green and red plus b&w... weird.... ok, colourblind, but to help 10 people, 4000 other players are getting funny stuff. i imagine that colourblind people are used to get blue, red, yellow and green and they survive...

I'm not sure if the color changes were made for color blind people or not but if they were I'd say that's great.

First of all, I'd bet that it's much higher than 10 out of 4000 people who are color blind. Secondly, even if it was only 10 people, I'd gladly suffer the exceedingly small inconvenience of using colors outside my personal palette preferences if it lets everyone enjoy a game that would be difficult to even play otherwise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest concern is still the durability of the construction wheels. They still look flimsy; I hope they turn out to be sturdier than they look.

As to the others, it seems clear to me that not all of the components are included in the picture -- if those pictures *are* "complete", then they appear to be missing components. Most of the custom bits appear to be as promised, but it does look to me as though the workers shown use the same shape, which is not as advertised. In the grand scheme of things, they look decent and I'd be happy with them ... but the KS page made a point of advertising different custom workers for each faction.

It would be nice to get clearer picture including all of the components with at least a few of each type loose (punched or removed from bags). Or better yet, to have the game in hand...

My assumption is that I won't be getting my game in April as advertised. (Unless a miracle occurs?) That's not a huge deal to me; I've backed a number of games at this point and the ones that deliver on time are only marginally less rare than unicorns -- although others will certainly raise hell over it. And while I'd normally pat them on the head and point out that Kickstarter delivery dates are just estimates (and typically bad ones), not promises ... in this case the KS campaign made the "6-month exclusivity" and "early access" very specific selling point, so I'm going to have a hard time faulting people complaining about this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
goldengamer wrote:

I'm not sure if the color changes were made for color blind people or not but if they were I'd say that's great.

First of all, I'd bet that it's much higher than 10 out of 4000 people who are color blind. Secondly, even if it was only 10 people, I'd gladly suffer the exceedingly small inconvenience of using colors outside my personal palette preferences if it lets everyone enjoy a game that would be difficult to even play otherwise.

I agree though they should have let people know the change was coming in an update or should have planned for colorblindness before launching the campaign.

Also with each of the factions having custom shaped components (if we had custom engineers) color blindness should be less of a problem for this game than most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They mentioned the colorblind palette in update 34 (around Christmas) and had pictures showing the white and teal components in update 37 (Feb). It's probable they discussed it earlier based on comments I saw, but that's what I found with a quick check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
They mentioned the colorblind palette in update 34 (around Christmas) and had pictures showing the white and teal components in update 37 (Feb). It's probable they discussed it earlier based on comments I saw, but that's what I found with a quick check.

The comment in update 34 reads as a change to the color palette of the player boards and not a change to player colors.

Quote:
The Brand new Personal Board!

We Made a colorblind friendly palette choice to make it into the right way!

That comment is immediately followed by the redesigned player board for the green player (not blue which was changed).

As for the February update, yes they include a picture but no where in the update do they mention the change so I imagine it slipped by most people and they assumed the white pieces were just the neutral dam pieces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
As for the February update, yes they include a picture but no where in the update do they mention the change so I imagine it slipped by most people and they assumed the white pieces were just the neutral dam pieces.

The first picture in that post shows (very modestly blurred) white workers. But no, they didn't state it outright there, and I don't see any of the official updates that address color palette, other that the comment you've debunked below:
Jimmydm90 wrote:
Becq wrote:

The comment in update 34 reads as a change to the color palette of the player boards and not a change to player colors.

Hm. Yeah, you're right. But I *did* find this post:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/30451683#30451683
Jimmydm90 wrote:
One of the complaints I've seen in the KS comments is player colors not being colorblind friendly while non-color blind players wanted to keep their favorite player colors available. Cranio has already said they're working on this so it's not really much of an issue...

...in which *you* stated that Cranio was working on changing the color palette to be more colorblind-friendly! So, perhaps you can answer your own question better than I can?

whistle

I personally prefer the original color palette, but I've know colorblind gamers, so I get that color choice can be frustrating. If these ... well, *less appealing* (to me) color choices help folk out, I support Cranio's choice. (I just hope they actually serve a purpose!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Well there you go. They must have mentioned looking into colorblind alternatives in a comment somewhere. Still not the best solution and as the rest of my November comment pointed out there was room to keep the original colors-ish and still help color blind players. The funny thing is red and green were the colors people were worried about for colorblindness, not blue haha. Oh well!

Now back to the point of this thread, custom engineers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
riccardo rodolfi
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

some quick reply.

First, the engineer are custom made for each faction, fear not. We received a lot of unsatisfied comments with the old design, so we went for a simplier but still characterizable alternative. The pieces have been cut like this:

And the three-sized resorces are:

Second, as we pointed out in the comment section, the wheels have been reworked, so they will not bend nor break. They are more sturdy and the assembly process now feature a high-pressure passage to make sure there will be no air bubbles or bendy/wiggly parts.

Now, for the color blind side... We got that part from your feedback and we decided to develop a color-blind friendly palette. Our graphic team took real care in exploring a high usable color palette. We discarded the blue since blue was also the color of water!

We understand some of you would have preferred the old color scheme but... I think it's better to have a game that's accessible to everyone - even to a "small" minority of people that, unfortunately, can't completely enjoy a game.

By the way, we'll keep you updated on the game pieces and show off some juicy picture starting from Friday!

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackworm wrote:
First, the engineer are custom made for each faction, fear not. We received a lot of unsatisfied comments with the old design, so we went for a simplier but still characterizable alternative. The pieces have been cut like this:

That's too bad. The original design looked great; these are so similar that they might as well be the same.

Quote:
By the way, we'll keep you updated on the game pieces and show off some juicy picture starting from Friday!

Will there also be a schedule update? Yesterday's post indicated that there was a delay, but said nothing of how big the delay will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackworm wrote:
Hey guys,

I didn't know Barrage was set in the Blade Runner universe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find the custom meeples quite a disappointment too and think they are hardly different enough from each other to really matter.

It seems that there are a few issues with the English rulebook translation too.

I really appreciate them taking colour blind friendly pieces into consideration. It would have been nice to see them before production so that actual colour blind players/backers can give their feedback.

I'm sure that all the pieces will be made of wood. However, after the pictures from the Nuernberger Spielwaren Messe, I'm a bit concerned that they swapped some to plastic (the dams look like they could be plastic in the images from update 40, especially when looking at the orange dams). It's hard to tell from the pictures.

Hope we get a good look at everything during/after Modena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
riccardo rodolfi
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
fear not, we sticked to wood. The only plastic component are the droplets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vittorio Dal Santo
Italy
Casale Monferrato
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackworm wrote:
Hello,
fear not, we sticked to wood. The only plastic component are the droplets.

This is definitely not going to be of concern to me, but I wonder if you used solid wood or multiplex. The weight and feel are very different, as well as the visual aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matteo Madaschi
Italy
Ranica
Bergamo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you want to help colour blind people but daltonism affect green and red and you have changed the blue one. I dont understand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madagelo wrote:
you want to help colour blind people but daltonism affect green and red and you have changed the blue one. I dont understand.

Blue was not changed for colorblind reasons. It was changed because the water tokens are also blue. Even though the water is plastic, I appreciate that they did not use the same color for player tokens and as for other non-player tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jérôme
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blackworm wrote:

R.

Waiting for the juicy pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alliantie AJ
Belgium
Rijkevorsel
België
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blackworm wrote:
We received a lot of unsatisfied comments with the old design
R.

Strange, haven't heard anything about this, on the contrary; they look(ed) great!

However, I did read a lot of unsatisfied comments about how this campaign is done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the new update has juicy pictures, and proves via photos and video that:
* the engineers are (very slightly) unique for each faction
* the scoring track is not recessed (but I don't think they said it would be)
* the scoring track does include the hybrid of the old and new scoring tracks -- they used the old font with the new track layout
* the colors have changed from the original design (per Cranio, this was to improve colors for the color-blind), but colors are coordinated with the expansion
* spot UV is in fact applied to the final box and game board, as promised
* the three sizes of the excavators and cement mixers are present as promised
* the components are wood as promised (with the exception of the water drops, which was an upgrade made during the KS)

So, is the sky still falling?

I think they've adequately addressed *most* of the issues that were imagined recently. My thoughts are as follows:

1) I'm a little disappointed in the color palette (especially the *pink* Americans, *gag*!), but I understand why they made the change and hope it proves helpful to somebody.
2) I'm a little disappointed in the "unique engineers"; the differences are so small that they might as well have made them the same. I don't recall the massive outcry (or any complaints at all) about the original designs, but I haven't read through more that a sampling of the nearly 5k comments on KS, or much of any of their Instagram or Facebook posts. I wish they'd kept the original design, but I'll live.
3) I was marginally in favor of the original scoring track, but am glad they at least reverted the font.
4) It's reassuring that the latest board pictures don't show the extreme warping that was in a previous email showing the 3d board. And while the lower layers aren't pictured in much detail, their color appears to be mess jarringly white than the earlier pictures. Again, looks ok.

So most of the issues were either non-issues to begin with, or not that bad. Things Cranio still owes us comments on include:

1) SCHEDULE. They keep saying they will keep us updated regarding schedules, but as of the last post they've still left us handing with the implication that there might be delays. I don't really think it's all that big of a deal if they run a bit later than their original ETA of this month (this project is still in the running for being one of a very small number of KS games that I've received even close to on time), but I would really like to know what the new ETA is, if not "this month".

Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.