Popular Tags: [View All]
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the original Zombicide theme much more than black plague but I know that BP fixed some of the annoying rules like the ranged weapons always hitting friendly players first.

I also really like the campaign design better in BP.

Is there an official rule set and campaign for the original Zcide to play it like BP? I see there are some fan created ones in the files section of BGG but I'm not sure where to start.

The BP dashboards were also much nicer but there are probably etsy products for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Doerr
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
HeathCon Winter 2020 Jan 17th - 20th
badge
Unplayed Countdown: 14 left to play
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see someone with the exact same opinions as myself.

I incorporate these rules:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1532507/i-compiled-house-ru...

(The most important being that shooting into a space with survivors only hits survivors if you MISS.)

and use these organizers:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/164850/zomb...

Which solves the issues with sliding the kill counter and picking up inventory cards easier.

Finally, if you play with Zombivor's I really like this rule:

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/22264438#22264438

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:
Nice to see someone with the exact same opinions as myself.

I incorporate these rules:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1532507/i-compiled-house-ru...

(The most important being that shooting into a space with survivors only hits survivors if you MISS.)

and use these organizers:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameaccessory/164850/zomb...

Which solves the issues with sliding the kill counter and picking up inventory cards easier.

This looks like a great start. The house rules make much more sense than the regular and add some theme. I think I'm going to try these with one of the campaign files on here.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yes you can.

But, BUT keep in mind those range rules, while feeling rather broken, are there for game balance; to keep the game from becoming a simple shoot fest with minimal repercussions (ie. without the risk the game becomes a little stale).

And I agree with the Miss = hit on a survivor.

~Will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Floydski wrote:

Yes you can.

But, BUT keep in mind those range rules, while feeling rather broken, are there for game balance; to keep the game from becoming a simple shoot fest with minimal repercussions (ie. without the risk the game becomes a little stale).

And I agree with the Miss = hit on a survivor.

~Will

the miss hitting the survivor makes so much more sense. Hopefully it doesn't make the game too easy. We have had trouble with some of the original scenarios being really tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Missed shots hits survivors creates a HUGE problem which totally destroys many concepts within the original Zombicide. We've discussed it to death and no doubt someone will post the links to those threads. If it was that way by default most would of said the game was broken, especially young trigger happy players, due to constant friendly deaths. The group says no but it's your turn, you don't listen, you take the shot for the XP! BROKEN!!! The game is supposed to be cooperative, ruling it as always keeps it as intended.

The only variant we add to the shooting mechanics is STARTS WITH PISTOL has a bonus, ignores target priority with 1d6 weapons if in the same zone. Which keeps the cop inline with the others as progress, otherwise his starting skill is useless once everyone has a gun. If anyone could aim it would be him and it doesn't break any of the other skills to be unlocked later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
Missed shots hits survivors creates a HUGE problem which totally destroys many concepts within the original Zombicide.
Um, no. No it doesn't.
We've played it successfully dozens of times, and have still lost over half of those. I wouldn't call that total destruction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We too played it that way and thought it made sense, we soon changed it back. Have a look at my link.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzUqoUE_JiOuLVJBWHVlMjIxMn...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Lodge
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonMeister wrote:
Um, no. No it doesn't.
Revisist my post, you've miss quoted my words, took them out of context.

I never implied
VonMeister wrote:
total destruction

VonMeister wrote:
and have still lost over half of those.
Or that it made it easier.

mitchiemasha wrote:
Totally destroys many concepts within the game"

which it does, many of them... lots of intricacies in how things work.

VonMeister wrote:
We've played it successfully dozens of times

Yes, it still works as a game, depending on group. The rest of my post you missed from the quote specifically points to

mitchiemasha wrote:
young trigger happy players
and

mitchiemasha wrote:
If it was that way by default
If your group already knows the game, adding the mod can work, a last resort only or a less cooperative version.

Once you understand the game, them ruling it that way makes perfect sense, seeing the problems the other way would of created. Especially as we'd of all been young and trigger happy. This type of game was new to many and most. It was easier for them to rule it as always hits rather than risk survivors thinking it was a standard thing to do but always confused to why every mission was failed. We know different because it wasn't that way by default.

Nearly every game we played of BP ended up with us failing due to fights breaking out between Heroes. Which we did enjoy!

My only argument is, it seems to make more sense at first but when you really look at it, it doesn't! There are many posts here already to why and that doesn't mean it won't be fun to play. It's still included on my print out and it's how we played for a while.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin Frost
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
doerrhb wrote:

Strangely, I have to enthusiastically agree with you here. We've also used a fatty instead of a runner, just to mix it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tired any campaigns? Which ones and how good were they?

Is there an official campaign out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian W
msg tools
I really like Zombicide, but I don't dig the fantasy theme of Black Plague, so instead I am staying in the modern setting with my group. Since we can read and understand english, but it's not that fluent, AND I do like some of the rules that came with the fantasy setting, I converted the whole game for me and my group and we are playing with a rule-mix heavily inspired from the fantasy setting.

It works out quite well. What I did:

- Translated everything into german, ironing out spelling and other inconsistencies that developed from S1 to S3 (sorry, no changelog available)
- Redesigned all Search-Cards to reflect the "can only be used in yellow danger level"
- Redesigned everything to an icon-based approach instead of writing text on the equipment cards
- Created new cards like armor
- Changed several items like shields to be worn in hand and to provide armor
- Re-created all Character Sheets to a layout that can be used with the fantasy dashboards

Printed everything by myself or used some of the playing card printer companies for the search cards etc.

it was a hell of a work, but my group loved the changes. I think you cannot just change e.g. the ranged attack rule if the other rules stay the same, you need to make thorough changes and basically adapt everything to keep a balance.

I attached collage of those cards as I cannot figure out how to upload multiple files, I hope it's not to small to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Sena
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have always played Zombicide using BP range rules.

It works fine. I wouldn't play it with normal rules (to be fair, I would rather play BP or GH anyways)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VonMeister
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mitchiemasha wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
Um, no. No it doesn't.

I never implied
VonMeister wrote:
total destruction

mitchiemasha wrote:

You never implied total destruction - you outright stated it. Nothing was taken out of context. You stated that altering ranged combat to mimic how it works in Black Plague "totally destroys many concepts," and then you state it again in a follow-up without a single example. What are these "many intricacies" you mentioned?

Even with the change in the way we play, most of the time players don't tend to get trigger-happy and blast into a zone where a survivor is engaged with zombies because of the chance of hitting that character on a miss. So it alters gameplay concepts far less than whatever it is you implied OR stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Calhoun
msg tools
VonMeister wrote:
mitchiemasha wrote:
VonMeister wrote:
Um, no. No it doesn't.

I never implied
VonMeister wrote:
total destruction

mitchiemasha wrote:

You never implied total destruction - you outright stated it. Nothing was taken out of context. You stated that altering ranged combat to mimic how it works in Black Plague "totally destroys many concepts," and then you state it again in a follow-up without a single example. What are these "many intricacies" you mentioned?

Even with the change in the way we play, most of the time players don't tend to get trigger-happy and blast into a zone where a survivor is engaged with zombies because of the chance of hitting that character on a miss. So it alters gameplay concepts far less than whatever it is you implied OR stated.

Yeah what this guy said, can't believe all the people in this thread stating this rule breaks the game. It gives the players more strategic options and whether to risk shooting and risking the damage or not.

The majority of the BP rule changes were all commonly used house rules. This is even more evident in the new Invaders version where they have incorporated even more commonly used house rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Bicalho
msg tools
you can also:

- Proxy the Necromancer rules using the VIP zombies. ( they try to escape to the nearest exit. If they managed to do so, increase one zombie spawn zone. You lose if you get +2/3 extra zombie spawn zones.
Of course, I would only spawn one zombie ( representing the necromancer) wheneaver you draw a VIP card ( not the number shown on tje respective danger zone).
You can also balance that if you ever kill 2 VIPs, you get to randomly pick a special weapon ( instead of having to kill 5 in the original game)

-You can use the Angry neighbors holes to proxy the Horde mechanic from GH. Put a spawn zone in the Hole to put additional zombies there everyturn.

If you ever spawn a crawler zombie card ( from S3), all the zombies in the Hole manage to escape.

I dont this this unbalances the missions significantly. You can trim down tje zombie spawn deck or tje weapon deck to compensate for that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We made a house rule where "accurate" weapons (one dice) such as the hand gun and rifles targeted zombies first but spray and pray guns like the shotgun and submachine guns followed the normal rule. We defined this as rolling more than one dice per shot.
Two survivors in the same space were considered back to back and would not hit each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls