Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread is for FAQ's, questions, comments, administration, and reporting violations of TOS. The 2019 DTC Virtual Flea Market can be found here.

How to Buy an Item:
• Make an offer to the seller by posting a comment and subscribing to an item of interest.
• If your offer meets the Fixed Price or BIN the offer is binding on both the buyer and seller. You have a right to expect confirmation from the seller within a few days.
• If your offer is on an auction the seller is not obligated to respond until the auction is complete.
• It is acceptable to offer less than the Fixed Price or Starting Bid (a "low ball" offer), however, such an offer is non-binding on either party. It is up to the seller to decide how to respond to a low ball offer and they are not obligated to respond at all. Low ball offers are non-binding until both parties have confirmed agreement to the offer.

How to Sell a Game:
• Add your game to this list and subscribe to the entry.
• Include a description of the game’s condition eg: New In Shrink (NIS), Like New, Well Played (further detail recommended). Missing or damaged components must be clearly indicated.
• Your description should clearly indicate either Auction or Fixed Price.
• If your item is an Auction please include the following:
o A starting price (minimum bid)
o A minimum dollar increment (optional, $1 is assumed)
o A “Buy It Now” or BIN price (optional)
o An End Date for the auction (mandatory)
• When an item is sold please promptly post a comment on your item listing confirming the sale. You must also edit the item description and include the word Sold. It is customary but not required to link the buyer’s BGG user name in the item description as well.
• Sellers are obligated to respond to questions and offers promptly. Please check your item listings every few days.

How to Sell Kickstarter Projects:
• With the increasing complexity of Kickstarter Bundles, Stretch Goals, Add-Ons, Multi-wave releases, etc... please be as clear as possible when listing a Kickstarter project. Best practice is to list the entire contents in your item description, failing that at least provide the pledge level and a link to the campaign. Good communication now will avoid confusion and possible disputes during the exchange.

How to Sell Promos:
• The procedure is the same for games
• Multiple promos can be grouped together into a single list item or offered as individual list items. There are advantages and disadvantages to each approach.

How to Sell Other Items:
• Follow the procedure for games but use the BGG list item: Outside the Scope of BGG.
• Con management reserves the right to remove any item deemed inappropriate for the DTC VFM, including but not limited to: DTC Tickets, DTC Room Reservations, and DTC Parking Passes.

How to participate in both the VFM and Math Trade:
• It is very easy to participate in both the VFM and Math Trade. If you want to offer an unsold VFM item in the Math Trade simply edit the description to clearly read: Item on Hold for Math Trade.
• If your item does not trade simply delete the hold text from your item description and it will be available in VFM again
• Items with offers meeting the fixed price or BIN and auctions with bids meeting or exceeding the starting bid may not be placed on hold.
• Buyers may place offers on VFM items that are marked as Hold. Such offers are nonbinding until the seller removes the hold. Sellers have the right to modify the terms of sale (price, auction, fixed, etc..) when returning the item to the VFM and are under no obligation to return the item to the VFM at all (see below to withdraw items)

How to withdraw an item from the VFM:
• DO NOT DELETE AN ENTRY. (This is a violation of the TOS)
• If you want to withdraw an unsold item replace all text in the description with Item Withdrawn
• You may optionally change the list item to Outside the Scope of BGG
• It is a violation of the VFM TOS to withdraw a sold item or an active auction with offers meeting or exceeding the stated starting price and/or BIN

How to pay the BGG Market Place Commission (3%):
• Per BGG’s TOS, sellers are required to pay BGG 3% commission for the use of this list.
• After all item exchanges are completed create a BGG Market Place Sale Item called “DTC19 VFM Commission” using the total price of all your completed sales.
• Send the link to me and I will “buy” your Market Place item, BGG will automatically send you a PayPal invoice via GeekMail for 3%

Important Terms of Service (TOS):
• [Buyers and Sellers] All VFM participants must be convention badge holders, this includes use of the VFM Geeklist. Transactions by proxy (selling or buying for someone else) are currently permissible.
• [Sellers] Do not delete an item listing. See above for how to withdraw an item from the VFM
• [Sellers] Deleting an item followed by relisting (churning the list) to improve placement is strictly prohibited
• [Buyers] Finding an item cheaper elsewhere is not an excuse to retract a binding offer.
• [Buyers and Sellers] Failure to be present at both official meetups/exchanges without confirmed notification to your transaction partners is a violation of the TOS
• [Buyers and Sellers] The first offer to meet the Fixed Price or BIN (a qualified offer) is binding on both the buyer and seller. It is a violation of the TOS for buyers to withdraw qualified offers, similarly sellers may not accept higher “bids” on items advertised as Fixed Price or BIN or beyond an auction’s advertised end date.
• [Buyers and Sellers] It is acceptable for buyers to make offers below the Fixed Price or Starting Bid. Such offers are nonbinding on either party unless mutually agreed. A seller is not obligated to respond to these “low ball” offers. If as a seller you do not wish to receive low ball offers please indicate this in your item description, however, such offers will not be viewed as a violation of the TOS
• [Buyers and Sellers] Repeated violation of the TOS, including the creation of new BGG accounts to mask repeated violations will unbind all transactions with the violator. It will be up to the violator’s transaction partners to decide if they wish to complete the transaction with the violator, they are under no obligation to do so. The violator will also be referred to con management for further administrative action.
• [Buyers and Sellers] All transactions are private exchanges between buyers and sellers. Con management and list administrators are not responsible for misrepresented items, missing or damaged components, or any form of dispute resolution.
• [Buyers and Sellers] The VFM Instructions and TOS are a work in progress and may be modified at any time.

Use of the VFM by retailers
• As long as a VFM participant uses the list in the spirit of a flea market we see no grounds to discriminate based on the user’s source of inventory. “In the spirit of a flea market” is defined loosely as a willingness to haggle, negotiate bundle pricing, and generally respond to the internal market economy of the VFM. This policy is consistent with the physical flea market which also has no specific prohibition on the source of inventory and has been used by small retailers in the past. Please note that all VFM participants must be convention badge holders and abide by both the DTC ToS and the VFM ToS above.
• Retailers are asked to be respectful of the interests of buyers and private sellers. Please avoid bulk listings during peak hours when private users are likely to do the same, namely 5:00pm to midnight EDT. Also please recognize that nearly all participants are savvy comparison shoppers “looking for deals” and are unlikely to respond positively to common retail pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this belong in the Discussing Retailers forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
posted in "discussing retailers"?

any case the geeklist link you have says no such geeklist.. quick google finds...

[geeklist=254454][/geeklist]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Does this belong in the Discussing Retailers forum?

It isn't clear. Per BGG's forum header "and anything else related to the buying and selling of games". If there's a better place I'm all for moving it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
posted in "discussing retailers"?

any case the geeklist link you have says no such geeklist.. quick google finds...

[geeklist=254454][/geeklist]

The list is set to private, official launch is April 27, 2019. We are still editing the header.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's meant to be private until then, why are you posting a link to it now, in any forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
If it's meant to be private until then, why are you posting a link to it now, in any forum?

BGG has a feature to make lists private but not conventional forum threads. I wanted to initially use this thread to conduct a pre-launch discussion with our heavy VFM users from previous years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harris
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do amazing things Bob! Thanks for working so hard on the DTC VFM. Hopefully this was the right place to put this comment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deehizzle wrote:
You do amazing things Bob! Thanks for working so hard on the DTC VFM. Hopefully this was the right place to put this comment...

Thanks Daniel. And yes, as long as BGG doesn't make me move this thread my intention is to use it for the "meta" discussion about administration of the VFM and free up the VFM comments for shameless promotion and other posts more directly related to buying and selling games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Geekbay - though not an auction, it is a better fit for discussing a geeklist based virtual flea market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Moved to Geekbay - though not an auction, it is a better fit for discussing a geeklist based virtual flea market.

Perfect. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a heads up. It looks like BGG admins have restricted external linking of images. As a consequence this year's alpha lists will not have the thumbnail option.

My feelings are mixed. The thumbnails were a nice feature up to about 1000 entries, 2018 had over 5000 and even on a good connection the image page was sloooowwwww.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trae Lenox
United States
Wylie
Texas
flag msg tools
"Dude, what does mine say?"
badge
"Sweet, what does mine say?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone!

Sorry Bob about my post earlier, I didn't know this list existed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dallasstars945 wrote:
Hi everyone!

Sorry Bob about my post earlier, I didn't know this list existed!

No worries. Most people don't and I was happy to have the opportunity to reinforce the need for end dates on auctions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My version of the Alpha list is live. As most people know from last year my list requires manual updates which I try to do at least once a day. Unlike last year the option to view image thumbnails is not available due to a change in policy at BGG.

I have made a request to UnknownParkerBrother to use his automated script that can generate Alpha lists on the fly. If he says yes I will link both styles of Alpha lists in the header.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schober
msg tools
mb
StormbringerGrey wrote:
My version of the Alpha list is live. As most people know from last year my list requires manual updates which I try to do at least once a day. Unlike last year the option to view image thumbnails is not available due to a change in policy at BGG.

I have made a request to UnknownParkerBrother to use his automated script that can generate Alpha lists on the fly. If he says yes I will link both styles of Alpha lists in the header.

Thanks for creating and maintaining the Alpha List again Bob! You're a hero, it makes everything so much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cartchamp
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the alpha list, Bob. Can you sort on price and “sold” status?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartchamp wrote:
Thanks for the alpha list, Bob. Can you sort on price and “sold” status?

Re: Sort on Price: No. Unfortunately, due to the inconsistencies in which pricing is noted by sellers it's impossible for my script to pull reliable pricing data. As its coded now I just parrot back any and all numbers that follow a $ sign.

Re: Sort on Sold Status: you can't sort on the sold column but you can get the same information sorting on the buyer column. If you sort by buyer, all the unsold items will be at the top. My last update was done incorrectly, the unsold items are at the top but not in alpha order. Will fix on next update in a few hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirke Lawton
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's mentioned in the first post... do we know when the Math Trade will start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klawton wrote:
Since it's mentioned in the first post... do we know when the Math Trade will start?

The Math Trade usually starts about one month out from the con but I'll ask Molly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schober
msg tools
mb
Hi Bob,

There's gotta be something about CLEARLY listing what you have, right? Some people are being very ambiguous about what they have and it makes it very tough to know whether or not to buy something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OrcElfArmyOne wrote:
Hi Bob,

There's gotta be something about CLEARLY listing what you have, right? Some people are being very ambiguous about what they have and it makes it very tough to know whether or not to buy something.

Can you Geek Mail me a specific example? I haven't noticed any abuse myself but I'll certainly take a look. In my own shopping I've asked for clarification on version in one case and the other case was a complicated combo of games and I wanted to be sure what was included. Generally most sellers are more than happy to answer questions but again, if you see something off I'll take a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Palm Beach County
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question from first time VFM seller:

Obviously, we can't repost the same item for a better "spot". Also, we can't/shouldn't spam the geeklist comments with pricing updates, but (in a few weeks) if we wish to lower some prices on a multiple items, could we post a single, succinct comment with the updated prices (and links) of those unsold items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Gallo
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GatorDave wrote:
Question from first time VFM seller:

Obviously, we can't repost the same item for a better "spot". Also, we can't/shouldn't spam the geeklist comments with pricing updates, but (in a few weeks) if we wish to lower some prices on a multiple items, could we post a single, succinct comment with the updated prices (and links) of those unsold items?

Yes, I do it. I was probably even a little guilty of spamming the comments.

Pro tip: I hold my promos and other "free with purchase" items until we're close to the end. When I do post them I include a reference back to my other items along with a discount announcement. Additionally, I try to time the post so the items will be toward the top of the page so they won't get burried as quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Palm Beach County
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Bob, I found a tiny bug in your VFM Listing tool. It seems that when you sort Buyer a second time (from Z-A), it takes you to the 2018 tool (link: http://www.bobgallosolutions.com/DTC2018VFM_buyer_noPhoto.sh...). Probably an old URL in there. Other than that, it works great. I just don't want to see anyone get confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.