Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game tonight after receiving the game yesterday and sleeving the cards (Mayfair Premium sleeves for Standard Cards). The components are great - nice cards and interesting art that has a good fishing vibe. Box is very sturdy with plenty of room for expansions without being too large.

I picked up the base game plus the two expansions (Rods & Boats and Fish & Tackle), but started out with just the base game against the AI. I went with the green player deck at random and just dived in without taking much time to consider the cards and the card mix - this would come back to bite me later (unlike the fish !!)

After fumbling with the rules for the first round, I picked it up quickly and the remaining game went very smoothly. Essentially, you select a cast card and a lure and pick a lake spot to try your luck. If you have the right lure and enough rod strength then you hook the fish and can try to reel it in. I started off casting around blindly, failing to get anything to bite (unfortunately how it works for me in real life).

Meanwhile, the AI was catching high point fish with unnerving accuracy.

Clearly I needed to do better managing my hand/deck - spend money on upgrades from the Baitshop that allow scanning the lake to scout out catchable fish and also to not waste cast cards. If you don't have a cast card in your hand, you can't catch anything that round and you only start with one in your deck. With this in mind, I managed to work the deck and catch a couple of nice walleye for 12 points and salvage some of my pride (the AI scored 38 points).

Definitely a fun game - quick and not too demanding with choices and decisions to be made. There's strategy in managing your hand that will need to be learned as well as tons of upgrades in the Baitshop to experiment with. It's nice and portable too - no fiddly counters/pieces, reasonable footprint, etc. - will be a good game to take when I have to travel for work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
Thanks for the report Rupert!

One thing I’d like to address really quick is that you don’t actually have to play a Cast card in order to make a cast attempt.

The only restriction with the cast attempt is that you must play exactly 1 Lure or else you can’t.

Anything else you play is bonus to that lure.

At most 1 Cast card may be played beyond the Lure, but it’s optional. You also may play infinite Present cards. And finally at most 1 Hook card after you make the cast attempt, again that is optional though.

That should greatly open up your fishing options next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tyk567 wrote:
One thing I’d like to address really quick is that you don’t actually have to play a Cast card in order to make a cast attempt.

Ha - that would have helped - thanks for pointing out the error. I'll be trying again soon - with only 12 points scored this time, the only way is up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rupert Cullum
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - it's day 2 and we're back out on the lake with new gear, new strategy and a positive attitude !

I skipped casting in the first round to buy some gear - hooks and fish finder to tool up for the challenge. The AI bagged a 9 pointer in the first round, but I'm ok - I have a plan !

Scanning the lake helped, and some fancy reel work with artificial lures got me a 7 pointer and then a 9 pointer. I was pretty close to the AI, even managing to dump a 3 pointer on him and then a 4 pointer to keep his score in check. I found a 10 pointer with the fish finder, and gave up a cast opportunity to gear up with a net so I could drop all my cards on hooking him and then discard the net to land him with no fight !

All came down to the final cast - AI had 31 in the bag and I was at 26. I picked a frog (universal lure) from the bait shop and threw it out there finding a 7 pointer. I only had 2 cards in hand, and drew the 3 fight cards. My luck failed me and he escaped into the depths, sinking as quickly as my chance of victory !

Nice quick game - definitely a better plan to get gear. Next time will be different ........
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmb
So close! I love when it comes down to the wire like that! Very good play with the Net! You used it exactly like I designed it to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sara Bear
United States
Centerville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want this game, that sounds fun! and Deckbuilders are 95% of the time a no for me (keyword sprawl and interaction questions).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls