12 Posts

Viticulture Essential Edition» Forums » General

Subject: is it worth buying for solo games only? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamiko
Poland
flag msg tools
The games I usually play solo are Castle Ravenloft, Pandemic, Roll Player, Legacy, Hostage Negotiator, lately Fallout.
The only worker placement game I own is Agricola family edition, but the solo mode is... non existent really.

Thanks in advance for sharing your opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Bills
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played solo and really enjoy it. It also has a solo campaign in the box which really makes you change tactics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Woody
United States
Pottsboro
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm trying to reform though.
badge
On the restless road to nowhere, there's no certain peace it seems.
mbmbmbmbmb
You will get more nuanced replies if you ask at the 1 Player guild

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gretchen Fontenay
United States
Apison
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes.

I'm almost exclusively a solo player and I've logged more plays of Viticulture than anything else. Do plan to get Tuscany after your first 15 to 20 plays... it adds a great many more things!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play solo games often in general but this is one of the few I have. I've only played 2 or 3 games of it solo but look forward to play more. I would definitely recommend this for only solo. It also comes with it's own campaign mode that changes the rule each game. Also, there is different difficulties you can play on. So there is tons of replayability.

And if the base game becomes too repetitive somehow, then you can always add the Tuscany expansion that will add a bit more complexity to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"When I get bummed out, I take my shirt off because the bad feelings make me feel sweaty."
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of my plays of Viticulture, up until recently, have been solo. I like it more with the Tuscany board, but its still really fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others here! I only play it solo and I LOVE IT! The campaign is a great challenge and there is so MUCH expansion content that can all be played solo. It's such a great game. GET IT! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imoen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No

It’s toooo easy for solo play. No challenge at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven St. John
United States
Winter Springs
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
viszla wrote:
No

It’s toooo easy for solo play. No challenge at all.

There are several levels of difficulty provided in the rules. If you are saying that even the most difficult is no challenge then you are much better than the typical player. Your advice is not useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
me myself
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a small number of solo games, and gotten slaughtered every time. I've also never won a game vs. a person, so I suspect some number of things aren't clicking for me in this game (which is why I'm in the strategy section...) Most of my games have been with the tuscany board, and with the moore visitors expansion, but no special building (orange cards) or special workers.

I can say that solo feels different than playing with people. 7 rounds to score 25 points feels extremely tight, particularly with the lack of good bonus spots to take.

I'm hoping that I can play enough to win solo, but it looks like a steep climb for me presently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ataei
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Special Workers will definitely make the solo game easier. I like to train both Special Workers in the 1st year if possible. Structure cards can potentially make the game easier too when you get Harvest Machine+Yoke or your own action to do something since these can be better than the ones on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sameer Khan
msg tools
mb
42qark wrote:
I've played a small number of solo games, and gotten slaughtered every time. I've also never won a game vs. a person, so I suspect some number of things aren't clicking for me in this game (which is why I'm in the strategy section...) Most of my games have been with the tuscany board, and with the moore visitors expansion, but no special building (orange cards) or special workers.

I can say that solo feels different than playing with people. 7 rounds to score 25 points feels extremely tight, particularly with the lack of good bonus spots to take.

I'm hoping that I can play enough to win solo, but it looks like a steep climb for me presently.

You only need 21 points to win!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls