Popular Tags: [View All]
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
People are starting to get their copies, and rules questions are starting to crop up. If you post them here, we'll do our best to answer them! This will probably result in some kind of downloadable FAQ document at some point.

Thanks!

EDIT: Before posting a question here, please check the FAQ / Errata document in the Files section to see if it's already been answered.

I'll be coming onto this thread once a week, answering questions and updating the FAQ / Errata file.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've got one question. It's not about the rules per se, but about the list of components mentioned in the rules.

I've got my kickstarter Agent Pledge. It comes with the upgraded markers and tokens in plastic (Clue markers, Hand of Doom token, Information gathering token, flame markers...) but it doesn't come with the cardstock version of them. I've checked the rules and these cardstock markers are shown in the components list and there are pictures of them. I've checked the Kickstarter campaign page and they mention the cardstock markers. I've also checked the Mantic webpage and the content for the Collector's Edition (the equivalent to the Agent Pledge) includes the core game plus extras. And the core game picture content is shown with the cardstock markers. But in my box there are no cardstock markers version of the plastic ones. I think that if they are listed and shown in the rules and pictures around, the cardstock ones should be in the game and the plastic ones as an addition to the pledge.

I know I can play with the plastic ones, but I would love to have them also in cardstock. Until the tokens are painted, the cardstock printed version are more visible and practical.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
This overview might help to check your components:
https://www.needycatgames.com/blog/2019/4/2/hellboy-the-boar...
It looks like you will not get the cardboard version of the upgraded tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Franjo - Carsten is right, the plastic tokens were an upgrade, so they replace the cardboard ones. That means the cardboard tokens ones are only available in the retail box. Sorry if there was any confusion! Here's the image from that blog post, for easy reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
I know the 3 symbols for Conqueror, Kickstarter and BRPD are listed in the link above, but what about the gorilla symbol? Many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah! Yeah, I need to update the post. That's basically a second KS Extras icon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franjo
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Carsten and James for the clarification

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ink
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When a boss spawns monsters, are those monsters activated right away (in the same enemy phase)?

Side note: Very fun game, great job James!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're following the normal activation order - boss first then minions - then yes! There's no distinction between enemies that have just shown up and ones that were there all along.

Basically, the answer is yes! I only worded it that way in case there are any case files that screw with the normal activation order...

...wink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ink
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks! I figured but was confused as you seemed to forget to activate some frog monsters that were spawned by the boss during a playthrough with T&G productions I watched yesterday. So I thought maybe I was making the game harder than I should have ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I make it my mission to get at least three rules wrong in every gameplay video I do, especially ones involving games I designed myself. It's part challenge to the fans, part deliberate effort to just make everyone's life that little bit harder.

That, or I'm dreadful for getting carried away and forgetting things!,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmelo González Serrano
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Are The bosses considered enemies? (for example: could Lobster mark a boss with his mark of the claw?)

Are The enemies considered characters? (for example: could Lobster set up in a room with enemies when using Mysterious exit?)

Thanks!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudiger Jones
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite enjoying the game. Few question. One comment.
1) Ranged attack against an agent in a space with furniture. Is the damage applied to the furniture before rolling the agents defence dice?

2) frogswarms and birds.are these counted as enemies or characters? Or are they just glorified tokens? The description on page 3 of the rules says that characters refer to any miniature.

Comment: page 4 of the tutorial features the an icon, in 2 places, dipicting the giant frog monster instead of the rampaging frogmonster the tutorial refers to.(refer to image)

Side note: I like everything about this game apart from the agent boards that use pictures of the miniatures instead of the comic art. Don't have half and half inconsistency is gross

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
carmelogons wrote:
Are The bosses considered enemies? (for example: could Lobster mark a boss with his mark of the claw?)

Are The enemies considered characters? (for example: could Lobster set up in a room with enemies when using Mysterious exit?)

Thanks!!

Yes! It's broken down on page 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodOlRudiger wrote:
Quite enjoying the game. Few question. One comment.
1) Ranged attack against an agent in a space with furniture. Is the damage applied to the furniture before rolling the agents defence dice?

2) frogswarms and birds.are these counted as enemies or characters? Or are they just glorified tokens? The description on page 3 of the rules says that characters refer to any miniature.

Comment: page 4 of the tutorial features the an icon, in 2 places, dipicting the giant frog monster instead of the rampaging frogmonster the tutorial refers to.(refer to image)

Side note: I like everything about this game apart from the agent boards that use pictures of the miniatures instead of the comic art. Don't have half and half inconsistency is gross

1) After the roll.
2) They're just tokens - good point though, they're technically miniatures so that could be worded better!

And good point about the diagram!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Daker
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoodOlRudiger wrote:

I agree 100%. I hope Manticores will consider printing up some alt-art versions of these boards that have actual art on them and offering them for a small fee via their website. I’d certainly buy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
For fire damage attacks like Liz's Flame Blast, do you still apply enemy resistance as normal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
When an enemy is stunned, does it still downgrade or upgrade rolls (e.g. for a fight action, or in an area targetted by a ranged attack respectively?) Does ghost rasputin continue downgrading rolls and reducing cube regeneration by 1 if he is stunned?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sands
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
In case 252019, "Missing Persons," I got an instruction to take an insight marker off the information gathered track when doing a certain action with a point of interest, but the case setup did not say to place any insight tokens on the track at the start.

Should there be some placed on the track at the beginning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roberts
msg tools
And in a similar vein, can you use a ranged attack when there is a stunned enemy in your area?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
Can Johann's model still move, shoot etc while projecting elsewhere? Or can he only examine and explore where his cube is for the rest of the phase? Do stunned enemies move with you if you don't evade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Olivas
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great game James!
Two questions that popped up in our first game today:
1- If you need to add a monster or boss to an area which is already full? What do you do? Place it in the closest area with another hero? This could easily happen in rooms with furniture.

2- When some effects damage enemies (e.g.
Liz Sherman immolation or Abe's hurling enemies) do you still need to apply their resistance? We assumed you don't as otherwise some effects would almost never cause damage, but just wanted to double check.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
On case file #177891 card 8 of 8,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
is the dowgrade dice for each insight when an agent is targetted a typo (as there is another typo where it says 'an an agent'), since a boss doesn't roll die and only agents do for defense? Or is gathering insight actually a negative on this mission, rendering all the work done by Johann in our playthrough detrimental? That doesn't seem the intention but clarification would be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks! Sorry it took a couple of days to reply, I've been trying to stay away from work-related stuff at the weekend. There are some great questions here though, and we'll definitely get to work on an official FAQ soon (we might also do a few short videos to demonstrate rules that are causing issues). In short, thank you for contributing to this threat - you're helping out everyone who comes after you!

ClayMankey wrote:
For fire damage attacks like Liz's Flame Blast, do you still apply enemy resistance as normal?

So! This needs to be broken down a bit.

Resilience is only applied when specifically stated. So mostly during a Fight or Shoot action. Same thing with DEFEND tests for Agents - you only make them when specifically told to, which is normally when an Enemy attacks you.

Things that ignore resilience / DEFEND tests include (but are not limited to):

* Damage caused by hurled characters.
* Damage caused by being hurled into scenery.
* Damage caused in the End Phase by Inferno markers.
* Liz's Immolate ability.
* Evading Enemies.
* Deck of Doom cards that inflict Damage (unless they specifically say otherwise).

As for Flame Blast, it's a ranged weapon, so you treat it as a Shoot action. This is sort of covered under Weapons on page 22 of the rules, but it's not incredibly clear, so I understand any confusion! As such, because it's a Shoot action, Resilience is deducted as normal (however, because it's a fire attack it will place an Inferno in the target area, which may cause damage which ignores Resilience in the End Phase.

Hope that makes sense!

ClayMankey wrote:
When an enemy is stunned, does it still downgrade or upgrade rolls (e.g. for a fight action, or in an area targetted by a ranged attack respectively?) Does ghost rasputin continue downgrading rolls and reducing cube regeneration by 1 if he is stunned?

Yep. Stunned characters still count as being in their area, and are counted for any rules that apply. This means:

* Stunned Enemies still cause downgrades during Fight, Shoot and Examine actions.
* Stunned Enemies still take up space in their area.
* Stunned Enemies still prevent Agents in their area from making Shoot, Interact and Clear actions, and Trade free actions.
* Stunned characters that have "area effect" special rules - for example, automatically upgrading or downgrading dice - still have these rules while Stunned.
* Stunned enemies still affect Agents' movement - they need to be evaded, or they'll move with you.

...and so on.

Mike Sands wrote:
In case 252019, "Missing Persons," I got an instruction to take an insight marker off the information gathered track when doing a certain action with a point of interest, but the case setup did not say to place any insight tokens on the track at the start.

Should there be some placed on the track at the beginning?

Unless I'm reading it wrong, you're right - there's some missing text. This is really strange! I've seen this mission tested time and time again, and this is the first time I've seen this mentioned. I'm genuinely scratching my head here.

On the front face of card 2 of 6, at the start, it should read "Put Insight markers on spaces 3, 6, 9, 12 and 15 of the Information Gathered track."

I'm gonna see if I can figure out what happened here. Maybe the text got cut off during layout, but all the same, I should have picked up on that. Whatever the case, it's on me - really sorry about that!

ClayMankey wrote:
Can Johann's model still move, shoot etc while projecting elsewhere? Or can he only examine and explore where his cube is for the rest of the phase?

He can still make other actions in the area his model is in. This is a slight abstraction, I'll admit! Originally we had it so that you could only make Examine and Explore actions in the area with the cube until the end of your turn, but between playtest feedback and the need to fit the text on the card (he's got two lengthy Unique Actions and not much space to fit them into) we simplified it down.

JJOO wrote:
Two questions that popped up in our first game today:
1- If you need to add a monster or boss to an area which is already full? What do you do? Place it in the closest area with another hero? This could easily happen in rooms with furniture.

2- When some effects damage enemies (e.g.
Liz Sherman immolation or Abe's hurling enemies) do you still need to apply their resistance? We assumed you don't as otherwise some effects would almost never cause damage, but just wanted to double check.

For question 1: The Lead Agent sets it up as close as possible to the area it was supposed to go in. This usually means an adjacent area - the Lead Agent can pick specifically which one.

For question 2, see my answer above

ClayMankey wrote:
On case file #177891 card 8 of 8,
is the dowgrade dice for each insight when an agent is targetted a typo (as there is another typo where it says 'an an agent'), since a boss doesn't roll die and only agents do for defense? Or is gathering insight actually a negative on this mission, rendering all the work done by Johann in our playthrough detrimental? That doesn't seem the intention but clarification would be good.

Spoiler warning - only read this if you've reached card 8 of Case File #177891, "Door Number One".

This hinges on the first paragraph of this card - when you place Rasputin's card, any Insight markers that weren't collected during the Case File go onto his card. Then, for each insight marker on Rasputin's card, Agents downgrade dice on their DEFEND tests against Rasputin's attacks.

Think of it this way - each Insight marker that is placed on the track at the start of the Case is a small buff to Rasputin's attacks during the confrontation. When the Information Gathered marker reaches one and you take it off, you're depriving him of one of his buffs at the end of the Case. Does that make sense?

Thanks everyone - keep the questions coming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE READ: Please put Spoiler tags on any questions that pertain to Case File specifics.

Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.