Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official-ish FAQ Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rangi
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be possible for backers to buy the retail token sheet?

As already mentioned above, with dark tokens on dark background it is not very comfortable to track the actual board status.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pierrot pierts
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I'm seconding this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so we don't go too far off topic, James is great and all but token sheets and stuff is more Mantic related question. You might get more traction emailing them directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
Thanks for all the answers so far James, enjoying the game a lot.

On card the back of card 4 of 6 of case file #252019
Spoiler (click to reveal)
can enemies move through the access into the house or cellar, or only agents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Ink
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Does the doom token start on the first space of its track (on the “1“ space), or should it start off the track ( = zero doom) and only be placed on it when it is advanced for the first time?
I really find it odd that the track starts at 1 ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ClayMankey wrote:
Thanks for all the answers so far James, enjoying the game a lot.

On card the back of card 4 of 6 of case file #252019
can enemies move through the access into the house or cellar, or only agents?

You're welcome! Glad you're enjoying it.

Only Agents - enemies can't move through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fred Ink wrote:
Does the doom token start on the first space of its track (on the “1“ space), or should it start off the track ( = zero doom) and only be placed on it when it is advanced for the first time?
I really find it odd that the track starts at 1 ...

It starts at 1. If there was zero doom, you'd hardly need the BPRD to intervene!

(Fun fact - in early drafts, the doom track was a clock...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news, everyone!

I've just been sent the web-friendly pdf of the rulebook, and I've uploaded it to the file section. As soon as it's been approved you'll see it there.

Until then, you can get it at this link.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave J
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks James! I'm going to pin this to our discord channel as well for kicks.

I can't wait to get my game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
Another case file question, but also about a particular boss. On case file #125414
the confrontation seems a lot harder on this medium mission than on the hard ones we played. The combination of ghost rasputin's two downgrade abilities and drawing two cards at once from the confrontation card, often spawning tons of enemies or teleporting and using high damage range attacks seems hugely difficult- its been the hardest confrontation so far. Worried we are playing something wrongly, did anything like this or common rules mistakes come up on play testing this mission? We haven't even got close to dragging our fellow agent halfway across the map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ClayMankey wrote:
Another case file question, but also about a particular boss. On case file #125414
the confrontation seems a lot harder on this medium mission than on the hard ones we played. The combination of ghost rasputin's two downgrade abilities and drawing two cards at once from the confrontation card, often spawning tons of enemies or teleporting and using high damage range attacks seems hugely difficult- its been the hardest confrontation so far. Worried we are playing something wrongly, did anything like this or common rules mistakes come up on play testing this mission? We haven't even got close to dragging our fellow agent halfway across the map!

Hmm, interesting! I haven't watched that case in action since the last round of playtests, which was rather a long time ago, so I'm afraid I'm a bit rusty on the details! I definitely remember people managing to complete it, though.

It might have been a combination of unlucky card draws, of course - maybe it's worth playing through again at some point and seeing how it goes? I'll play through it when we get our copy and see how it feels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A question about Kate Corrigan's agent card: I'm having minor difficulties identifying the red crosshair icon in a hexagon that's used in the description of her Unique Action 'Careful Aim'. (For reference, the text reads: "Make a Shoot action, treating Kate's Shoot skill as [icon].")

I believe that the icon is supposed to represent red dice (or, more precisely, 'superhuman' skill level, which uses red dice for tests), because that would certainly make sense in the context. However, I wasn't able to find that particular icon anywhere else - which may be related to the fact that there aren't any other abilities that fundamentally change a character's skill level, as far as I can tell ...

Is my interpretation correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
"The world is indeed comic...
badge
...but the joke is on mankind.”
mbmbmbmbmb
I opened the box quite late last night and haven't had the time to fully go through the rules, but one question that came to my mind was how the base game, expansions and KS content play together. For example, can I freely choose any investigators regardless if the mission is from the base game or expansion, et cetera? Can all the content be mixed together or do they all play as standalone parts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yesterday I've checked all of the contents of my box according to list which I've downloaded a few days ago here: https://www.needycatgames.com/blog/2019/4/2/hellboy-the-boar...
And I was terrified, because almost none of my cards matched their number in this list. But today I've checked the online version again and surprise surprise...the list is fixed now and I have all of the cards now! But put the damn kriegaffe icon next to the KS exclusive Horned Hellboy in the icon guide!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I thought I'd changed the icon diagram in both places, but apparently I just did the download. I'll sort that out now.

(Just so you know, I'm doing all this myself - so apologies if I make the occasional slip-up!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lostizzet
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have a question regarding Roger.
His fight dice is black in the background of his character sheet.
Is this an error or is he using a black dice for fight action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NivIzzet wrote:
I have a question regarding Roger.
His fight dice is black in the background of his character sheet.
Is this an error or is he using a black dice for fight action?

I can answer that. His Fight dice aren't black, they're just greyed out. Roger is using a Tracker card that determines the colour of his combat skill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JamesMHewitt wrote:
Sorry, I thought I'd changed the icon diagram in both places, but apparently I just did the download. I'll sort that out now.

(Just so you know, I'm doing all this myself - so apologies if I make the occasional slip-up!)

James just to be clear, I'm not criticizing anything! Actually, I'm blown away by the amazing work and support you provided for Hellboy: the Board Game! Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cntmntn wrote:
I opened the box quite late last night and haven't had the time to fully go through the rules, but one question that came to my mind was how the base game, expansions and KS content play together. For example, can I freely choose any investigators regardless if the mission is from the base game or expansion, et cetera? Can all the content be mixed together or do they all play as standalone parts?

Hey, good news! We've made a video for you and everyone else who's expressed mild bewilderment at the huge array of stuff in the box!

https://youtu.be/WQOVRkKREnw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BlessPL wrote:
JamesMHewitt wrote:

James just to be clear, I'm not criticizing anything! Actually, I'm blown away by the amazing work and support you provided for Hellboy: the Board Game! Thanks a lot!

Ha! No worries You're welcome, it's all part of the job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu CHOMIENNE
France
flag msg tools
I think there's an error on page 7 of the tutorial. In agent phase, we can read that Abe makes an Examine action and then claim an insight marker on space "3". The move on Space 3 is correct as we were on space 2 from the previous examine action BUT there's no token on this space as the case file card says to put markers on spaces 2,4 and 8...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo recanatini
Italy
flag msg tools
Hi, I have a couple of questions after playing the game.

1) After the Confrontation begins, the first thing that (usually) happens is the enemy phase, and the boss immediately attacks, right?

2) I'm scratching my head on this one. What happens after a knock-out agent is back on the board? Specifically, I don't find anything in the rules regarding his health. Does he get all his health back? Does he remove all the injuries, but mantain all the damages?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Goro87 wrote:
1) After the Confrontation begins, the first thing that (usually) happens is the enemy phase, and the boss immediately attacks, right?

That's my understanding as well, but I'll let James clarify that.

Goro87 wrote:
2) I'm scratching my head on this one. What happens after a knock-out agent is back on the board? Specifically, I don't find anything in the rules regarding his health. Does he get all his health back? Does he remove all the injuries, but mantain all the damages?

Page 19, fourth paragraph, last two sentences: "Any knocked out Agents are returned to the board and their target priority markers are returned to the target priority queue. Their damage markers remain on their boards." So yeah, Agents return to the game with all their injuries, and the next hit would knock them out again. In that situation, it's probably a smart move to use the Recuperate action in the Taking Time Phase ... but if you're already in the Confrontation, that's obviously not an option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo recanatini
Italy
flag msg tools
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
Goro87 wrote:

That's my understanding as well, but I'll let James clarify that.

Goro87 wrote:

Page 19, fourth paragraph, last two sentences: "Any knocked out Agents are returned to the board and their target priority markers are returned to the target priority queue. Their damage markers remain on their boards." So yeah, Agents return to the game with all their injuries, and the next hit would knock them out again. In that situation, it's probably a smart move to use the Recuperate action in the Taking Time Phase ... but if you're already in the Confrontation, that's obviously not an option.

Thanks for the answers! That sounds... harsh. I basically played today my first game, and it went perfectly fine until the confrontation, which was
Ghost Rasputin
. Then the game spiraled into a complete disaster. However, I've seen other comments pointing out the difficulty of this particular scenario, so I guess that's a bit unbalanced one. The game plays really nicely, but can hit very hard. Let's see what happens after I get a better grasp of it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fait 100
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi,

What Abe´s StrongArm ability exact does?
Hurl 1 enemy that is inside the Abe´s area to other area?
Or the Hurled enemy stays inside the Abe´s area??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.