Recommend
30 
 Thumb up
 Hide
217 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] | 

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official-ish FAQ Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only wanted to say were the rule was that BlessPL was referring to. Attack seems to be rather bad for the Boss when going against 4 agents or with scenery near by.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Jacobs
msg tools
How do Bosses and Enemies move in un explored area? For example we played a game where we hit a condition where it said to spawn enemies in un explored areas. Do these enemies have to spend an action to open a door or are they stuck until the agents explore the area?

I do not want to spoil things but this was for a case file where we triggered the end boss early and the result was that enemies spawned in un explored areas.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
leonardo recanatini
Italy
flag msg tools
ClayMankey wrote:
jorl wrote:
Goro87 wrote:
I can't really find this rule anywhere. Any idea where it could be?

Boss Behaviour - Pounce (red triangle)


I think the question was about the 'Attack' card (which I believe is a purple triangle behaviour card?) which seems to just be move and attack. So it seems if you have agents grouped up, the giant frog monster can only attack if it draws pounce or summon (which are only 2 cards in the deck?) Allowing you to keep shooting it or using the spear requisition to attack.


Thank you. So, as I understand, if said situation happens (i.e. the Giant Frog Monster vs 4 agents in the same area) what happens is that, when the boss attack, you go trough the entire boss behaviour deck until you find either the Spawn Minions card or the Pounce card, discarding everything else. Right?

It still seems strange that the boss has range and ranged attack values on its enemy card, while no card in his behaviour deck can make it perform a ranged attack.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions after our first real case (“Door Number One”)

Do bosses ONLY do what’s on their card? If it doesn’t say move, do they move?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Rasputin disappeared and reappeared in adifferent part of the board, and after one of the agents moved he was out of sight of both agents (we were dealing with some other threats). Did we need to wait until it says he has to move, or do we just assume he would move with toward us as part of his other actions?


And

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I understood the part about insight markers NOT collected causing negative effects. Did we miss something about what the insight markers we DID collect did? Did they have no impact this time (I recognize it says they MAY help you at the end, and we didn’t make it to card eight either before we got the confrontation started, so I’m not sure if a different ending would tell us some positive effect.)


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
Is the visitor meant to not have a deck of doom card and a priority bust? Asking since he's the only character with mignola art on his card without these - more of a component question as many of the other extra characters also dont! But was just wondering (as this would affect deck of doom draws when using him vs another non back up agent as a main.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey folks, just wanted to let you know I haven't forgotten this thread! Just having a rather busy, slightly stressy couple of days with some other projects. Haven't got the mental capacity to give decent, considered answers, and I'd rather not give wrong or poorly worded ones.
I'll go through the thread ASAP though, and update the FAQ as well

Hope you're all enjoying the game!
Cheers
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davey Henry
United States
Atkinson
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
I have a quick question regarding the requisition deck at the start of the game. When the agents are spending credits, do they look through the entire requisition deck? I feel like I saw a walkthrough video very early on where the agents where choosing from a set number of requisition cards drawn from the deck at the start of the game. I feel like a read the rule book a couple times over but it's entirely possible the answer is right in front of me and I just glossed over it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Posted this on the KS comments, then discovered this thread:

Question on KO'd: my friends find cooperating very hard, so when someone got KO'd earlier, they carried on rushing the end and didn't Take Time before the Confrontation. What happens to the KO'd agent? They haven't put down a cube to mark where they went down (KO rules, p.10), so (assuming they just roll for Last-Ditch Recovery), where do they come back?

Also, rolling orange dice means it's a 29.6% success chance to recover (if rolling red, it'd be 57.9%). Seems a little harsh (friends also don't enjoy being knocked out for the remainder of the game). I'm tempted to house rule that Last Ditch Recovery applies outside confrontations too so you don't have to rely on people coming back to help. Any thoughts (other than the obvious - get new friends)?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
Hey EH,

If you look at page 19 in the Rulebook, you'll see these two paragraphs:

Quote:
Important: If there are any Enemies on the board,
the Agents do not have time to rest and this phase
is skipped.

If any Agents are knocked out (page 10) and there
are no Enemies on the board, the Agents must take
time. Any knocked out Agents are returned to the
board and their target priority markers are returned
to the target priority queue. Their damage markers
remain on their boards.


Basically, if there are enemies on the board during the beginning of the Rest Phase, you cannot take time so your knocked-out friends cannot come back.

If there are no enemies on the board AND you have knocked out agents, then you MUST Take Time.

Hope that helps!

EDIT: You also don't have to make a roll for coming back during the Investigation Phase. The rolling is only for the Confrontation Phase.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheHolyPilgrim wrote:
Hey EH,

If you look at page 19 in the Rulebook, you'll see these two paragraphs:

Quote:
Important: If there are any Enemies on the board,
the Agents do not have time to rest and this phase
is skipped.

If any Agents are knocked out (page 10) and there
are no Enemies on the board, the Agents must take
time. Any knocked out Agents are returned to the
board and their target priority markers are returned
to the target priority queue. Their damage markers
remain on their boards.


Basically, if there are enemies on the board during the beginning of the Rest Phase, you cannot take time so your knocked-out friends cannot come back.

If there are no enemies on the board AND you have knocked out agents, then you MUST Take Time.

Hope that helps!

He asked specifically about knocked-out agents at the beginning of a confrontation. See "Last-ditch recovery" on page 27. You only place the cube during the confrontation, but you would need it to recover.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lobster Johnson - A Legend in Death
Do I roll in every End phase in which he is still KO or only in the round in which he went down?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
jorl wrote:
He asked specifically about knocked-out agents at the beginning of a confrontation. See "Last-ditch recovery" on page 27. You only place the cube during the confrontation, but you would need it to recover.


Whoops, my bad for missing that part.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TheHolyPilgrim wrote:
jorl wrote:
He asked specifically about knocked-out agents at the beginning of a confrontation. See "Last-ditch recovery" on page 27. You only place the cube during the confrontation, but you would need it to recover.


Whoops, my bad for missing that part.


No worries. I didn't realise you HAD to take time when there are no enemies and a KO'd agent either, but that was irrelevant today, as they kept exploring and spawning more despite me reminding them we needed to clear the board to be able to rest and bring the KO'd agent back.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey James, it looks like there's another errata that needs to be added regarding the Tutorial and the actual "Eviction Notice" case...

When building the Encounter Deck, the Tutorial specifies you to take the three Encounter cards with a white hexagon - two cards with the blue icon and one with the red icon.

In the actual "Eviction Notice" case file cards, the Encounter Deck setup specifies you to take three Encounter cards total - two cards with the red icon and one with the blue icon.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Agre
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can a boss get the stun condition? Ran into a situation in the tutorial case file confrontation where a player used an ability that would hurl and stun an enemy on the boss. I felt like perhaps the boss would be immune to stun and perhaps hurl, but I couldn't find anything in the rulebook about bosses and condition effects (I also referred to the enemy card for the boss and didn't see anything there that indicated immunity to these effects).

If my instinct is wrong and the boss can be stunned, what do you do during the boss activation? The usual enemy stun procedure and just stand them up and move to the next phase?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Karpowitz
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Some bosses say on the card that they can’t be stunned or hurled. Giant frog monster, for example. If it doesn’t say that then I guess they can be?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Agre
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pagoda79 wrote:
Some bosses say on the card that they can’t be stunned or hurled. Giant frog monster, for example. If it doesn’t say that then I guess they can be?


Yep, that was the one.. totally missed that part of the first section.. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:
Pagoda79 wrote:
Some bosses say on the card that they can’t be stunned or hurled. Giant frog monster, for example. If it doesn’t say that then I guess they can be?


Yep, that was the one.. totally missed that part of the first section.. Thanks!


I'm assuming you're referring to Hellboy's "One Big Hook" ability. We played that since the Giant Frog Monster's card did not state he was immune to Hurl (only Stun), that he was in fact able to be knocked into another area (and the damage he took because of it was enough to kill him!).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Agre
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
swirlsaepi wrote:
Jerival wrote:
Pagoda79 wrote:
Some bosses say on the card that they can’t be stunned or hurled. Giant frog monster, for example. If it doesn’t say that then I guess they can be?


Yep, that was the one.. totally missed that part of the first section.. Thanks!


I'm assuming you're referring to Hellboy's "One Big Fist" ability. We played that since the Giant Frog Monster's card did not state he was immune to Hurl (only Stun), that he was in fact able to be knocked into another area (and the damage he took because of it was enough to kill him!).


Sounds right to me. Looking through the abilities of the bosses, some cannot be stunned, some cannot be hurled, some both.. So what happens if they can be stunned? Do you skip the behavior card and just stand them up?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerival wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Jerival wrote:
Pagoda79 wrote:
Some bosses say on the card that they can’t be stunned or hurled. Giant frog monster, for example. If it doesn’t say that then I guess they can be?


Yep, that was the one.. totally missed that part of the first section.. Thanks!


I'm assuming you're referring to Hellboy's "One Big Fist" ability. We played that since the Giant Frog Monster's card did not state he was immune to Hurl (only Stun), that he was in fact able to be knocked into another area (and the damage he took because of it was enough to kill him!).


Sounds right to me. Looking through the abilities of the bosses, some cannot be stunned, some cannot be hurled, some both.. So what happens if they can be stunned? Do you skip the behavior card and just stand them up?


Based on the "Stun" section on Page 22 of the rulebook, that's how I would rule it, yeah:

Quote:
When a stunned Enemy is activated in the Enemy
phase, they stand up and do nothing else.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
swirlsaepi wrote:
Hey James, it looks like there's another errata that needs to be added regarding the Tutorial and the actual "Eviction Notice" case...

When building the Encounter Deck, the Tutorial specifies you to take the three Encounter cards with a white hexagon - two cards with the blue icon and one with the red icon.

In the actual "Eviction Notice" case file cards, the Encounter Deck setup specifies you to take three Encounter cards total - two cards with the red icon and one with the blue icon.


Pretty sure that is correct as written. The tutorial is specifically those cards (no requisition so the characters and the encounters are thus scaled down from the regular case file)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Hey James, it looks like there's another errata that needs to be added regarding the Tutorial and the actual "Eviction Notice" case...

When building the Encounter Deck, the Tutorial specifies you to take the three Encounter cards with a white hexagon - two cards with the blue icon and one with the red icon.

In the actual "Eviction Notice" case file cards, the Encounter Deck setup specifies you to take three Encounter cards total - two cards with the red icon and one with the blue icon.


Pretty sure that is correct as written. The tutorial is specifically those cards (no requisition so the characters and the encounters are thus scaled down from the regular case file)


The Tutorial uses the full Case File except for the final room and the boss fight. Since there are only three room tiles beyond the starting tile, only three Encounter cards would be used.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Tutorial Insight
The tutorial and Case File #126779 say to place Insight markers on spaces 2, 4 and 8 of the Information Gathered track. From the Examine skill, the most the Information Gathered track can be advanced is 2 per clue. With only 3 clues in the Case, and a maximum of 6 possible Information Gathered, is there any way to attain the 3rd Insight marker that we are not aware of? Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Insight use for Case #126779 the Tutorial
Spoiler (click to reveal)
For the Confrontation, is the gained Insight a persistent bonus? For example, if we have two Insight Markers on the Confrontation Board, do Agents always gain two dice upgrades for all Fight/Shoot tests against the Boss for the duration of the Confrontation? Thanks in advance
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Agre
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
giles_t wrote:
Tutorial Insight
The tutorial and Case File #126779 say to place Insight markers on spaces 2, 4 and 8 of the Information Gathered track. From the Examine skill, the most the Information Gathered track can be advanced is 2 per clue. With only 3 clues in the Case, and a maximum of 6 possible Information Gathered, is there any way to attain the 3rd Insight marker that we are not aware of? Thanks in advance


I think you can get to 8 or higher on the information gathered track with boosts/assists and the event die.. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Edit: Apparently 2 is the most you get from a single examine action..
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.