[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [10] | 

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official-ish FAQ Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
James wrote about questions with limited space in the area considering bosses atacks that we:

James M Hewitt wrote:
Both these comments have the same answer - this was a mistake on our part! See my previous comment in the thread.

I can't find anything about it in his previous comments. Anyone knows what he meant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
Hey James,

I asked this in another thread, but I was wondering if we could get an official answer.

I was wondering what the ruling is if an agent is stunned with one action cube thanks to wound counters *or other effects.

The rules state that an agent has to spend two action cubes to stand up, but that's obviously not possible with only one action cube. Is it reasonable to only have to spend one cube? Or is there a ruling that I missed somewhere?

*EDIT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S

Texas
msg tools
badge
The valuable lesson is that you can get what you want and still not be very happy.
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:
James wrote about questions with limited space in the area considering bosses atacks that we:

James M Hewitt wrote:
Both these comments have the same answer - this was a mistake on our part! See my previous comment in the thread.

I can't find anything about it in his previous comments. Anyone knows what he meant?

I think he is referring to this:

Quote:
I don't know, it seems a bug to me.
From here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/31811876#31811876

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Jacobs
msg tools
Chances are we played this wrong, it was only our second game.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Case "The Cold Shoulder" We triggered the boss encounter several rooms away from the boss room. In this case we flip over the remaining encounter cards which spawns the minions in those rooms. Since the doors are closed we could not figure how they would move. Same goes for the boss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
Brainerd
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apjacobstm wrote:
Chances are we played this wrong, it was only our second game.

Case "The Cold Shoulder" We triggered the boss encounter several rooms away from the boss room. In this case we flip over the remaining encounter cards which spawns the minions in those rooms. Since the doors are closed we could not figure how they would move. Same goes for the boss

Go back a page, we discussed this quite a bit. The short answer is, the rooms are now considered explored, consider the doors to be open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I've played a BPRD Archive case and was instructed to run with Kriegaffe as a Boss nad set the Boss behaviour deck with purple, yellow and white cards, but all white cards are ranged attacks and Kriegaffe hase Range 0 and Ranged Attack 0 (see image below). Why do we include white cards in such case? What do I do if instructed to make a ranged attack with a boss (or even minion maybe) who hase range and range attack 0 value?

2. The half yellow half purple icon on Boss Behaviour is seperate icon right? Not to be included if a boss have a yellow and a purple icon?

3. In case I have melee attack only Boss and melee attack only minions on the board, and all of my Agents in a full area (e.g. 2 Agents and Scenery 4), is there anything the baddies can do to me or can I just shoot them up to shredds from behind the table? Maybe they can spawn some ranged buddies or have other Behaviour card that would mess my plan, but with melee attacks and Boss Behaviour cards that require an Agent in Boss area there is nothing they can do, is that right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
3. In case I have melee attack only Boss and melee attack only minions on the board, and all of my Agents in a full area (e.g. 2 Agents and Scenery 4), is there anything the baddies can do to me or can I just shoot them up to shredds from behind the table? Maybe they can spawn some ranged buddies or have other Behaviour card that would mess my plan, but with melee attacks and Boss Behaviour cards that require an Agent in Boss area there is nothing they can do, is that right?
From the FAQ document:
Quote:
THE MISSING BOSS MOVEMENT RULE (“OUT OF MY WAY!”)
During late-stage testing, a rule came up that should have been added to the rulebook, but for whatever reason it never was. Sorry about this!
If a Boss is instructed to move into an area but cannot fit because of other characters or scenery, follow these steps:
• Destroy the largest piece of scenery in the area. The Boss’ move then ends, without it entering the area.
• If there was no scenery in the area, characters in the area are hurled until there is room for the Boss. Enemies are hurled first, then Agents. The Lead Agent chooses the exact order in which character are hurled. Then the Boss moves into the area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that's one of my favorite updates haha

it just makes sense.

Apologies if this has been asked but will there be an updated PDF of the rules at some point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
THE MISSING BOSS MOVEMENT RULE (“OUT OF MY WAY!”)
I guess I saw the quotation marks, thought it was case related and skipped it not to get spoilers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
donmakaron wrote:
2. The half yellow half purple icon on Boss Behaviour is seperate icon right? Not to be included if a boss have a yellow and a purple icon?
Some bosses have this icon on their cards (the bicolor one), so i'd say no, don't add them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
JamesMHewitt wrote:
S_A_T_S wrote:
Posted this on the KS comments, then discovered this thread:

Question on KO'd: my friends find cooperating very hard, so when someone got KO'd earlier, they carried on rushing the end and didn't Take Time before the Confrontation. What happens to the KO'd agent? They haven't put down a cube to mark where they went down (KO rules, p.10), so (assuming they just roll for Last-Ditch Recovery), where do they come back?

Also, rolling orange dice means it's a 29.6% success chance to recover (if rolling red, it'd be 57.9%). Seems a little harsh (friends also don't enjoy being knocked out for the remainder of the game). I'm tempted to house rule that Last Ditch Recovery applies outside confrontations too so you don't have to rely on people coming back to help. Any thoughts (other than the obvious - get new friends)?

As someone pointed out, Taking Time is mandatory if there's a downed Agent.

If your friends are pushing on anyway and exploring rooms in a deliberate attempt to prevent you from getting back up... well, yeah, the game won't stop them doing that, and it'll mean you stay on the floor until the Confrontation, but it kind of goes against the notion of a co-operative game! I'm really sorry that happened. It sounds like your friends are going out of their way to ruin your experience.

Thanks for responding, but you didn't answer the main question - what happens to agents who are already KO'd when the Confrontation begins? Where do they come back (during Rest there is a Prepare step that allows the agents to place themselves in any explored area. That doesn't happen in the Confrontation, and there is no cube down to give them a placement area).

On my group, I think some of them may have wanted to play a more familiar game so tried to rush. I love the game, but maybe it doesn't work for my group - requires a bit too much creative thinking for people who seem to most enjoy Zombicide clones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Poltorak
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two quick questions:
Since Lobster Johnson's paired pistols doesn't flip to an "out of Ammo" side, does he get to keep and ammo requisition cards?

If Hellboy has his Deck of Doom Card, can that action be spent on Big Right Hook or other things that perform a Fight action, or only the basic action Fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Another two questions :

(already asked in another thread but in this interest of centralisation ) :
1) what happen when johan is knocked out and then come back ? Is his ectoplasmic Stability tracker reset ?

2)
The Doom Card "Rampaging Sentinel" ask to place Kriegaffe if he's available. What makes him available ? Only his non-presence on the board, or are there other conditions ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
S_A_T_S wrote:
JamesMHewitt wrote:
S_A_T_S wrote:
Posted this on the KS comments, then discovered this thread:

Question on KO'd: my friends find cooperating very hard, so when someone got KO'd earlier, they carried on rushing the end and didn't Take Time before the Confrontation. What happens to the KO'd agent? They haven't put down a cube to mark where they went down (KO rules, p.10), so (assuming they just roll for Last-Ditch Recovery), where do they come back?

Also, rolling orange dice means it's a 29.6% success chance to recover (if rolling red, it'd be 57.9%). Seems a little harsh (friends also don't enjoy being knocked out for the remainder of the game). I'm tempted to house rule that Last Ditch Recovery applies outside confrontations too so you don't have to rely on people coming back to help. Any thoughts (other than the obvious - get new friends)?

As someone pointed out, Taking Time is mandatory if there's a downed Agent.

If your friends are pushing on anyway and exploring rooms in a deliberate attempt to prevent you from getting back up... well, yeah, the game won't stop them doing that, and it'll mean you stay on the floor until the Confrontation, but it kind of goes against the notion of a co-operative game! I'm really sorry that happened. It sounds like your friends are going out of their way to ruin your experience.

Thanks for responding, but you didn't answer the main question - what happens to agents who are already KO'd when the Confrontation begins? Where do they come back (during Rest there is a Prepare step that allows the agents to place themselves in any explored area. That doesn't happen in the Confrontation, and there is no cube down to give them a placement area).

On my group, I think some of them may have wanted to play a more familiar game so tried to rush. I love the game, but maybe it doesn't work for my group - requires a bit too much creative thinking for people who seem to most enjoy Zombicide clones...
This is answered in the latest version of the FAQ: Hellboy: The Board Game FAQ and Errata document
"If the agents return to play, they are placed in the Lead Agent's area [...]"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Case File "Cold Shoulder" - Setup
There are errors in the board layout:
- no door at the starting area
- the room on the top left is on the back of the room with the tubes. It is impossible to use both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the "Concussive Grenade" really only hurt Enemies, and not Agents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkelly wrote:
Does the "Concussive Grenade" really only hurt Enemies, and not Agents?
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
jorl wrote:
This is answered in the latest version of the FAQ: Hellboy: The Board Game FAQ and Errata document
"If the agents return to play, they are placed in the Lead Agent's area [...]"

Thanks for pointing that out. 1st post could do with being updated every time a new FAQ comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
What happens when Lobster Johnson uses special ammo like armour piercing or incendiary? Since his "other" pistol never technically needs to be reloaded, he could (RAW) just continue to use AP ammo in that remaining gun forever as long as he doesn't reload.

(We've been playing that special ammo runs out when you flip the weapon it's loaded in, since this makes sense to us, Lobster isn't using normal guns most of the time, but can load them with mortal's ammo (which does run out))

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I was playing an Archives mission and ended up with three bosses on the field at the same time. What do you do with the Boss Behaviour deck in this case (especially as they shared some cards)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jibar wrote:
I was playing an Archives mission and ended up with three bosses on the field at the same time. What do you do with the Boss Behaviour deck in this case (especially as they shared some cards)?

Jesus, that sounds awful.

I would build the Boss Behavior deck with whatever cards were required for each boss. During the Enemy Phase, you could interpret it three ways:

1) Draw one card total and apply the effect to all bosses.
2) Draw one card total and apply the effect to whatever bosses list that particular icon on their card.
3) Draw three cards total and apply the effects of one card separately to each boss.

Without an official ruling from James, I personally would go with Option #1 above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jibar wrote:
Can you please explain (in spoiler tags) how that happened? Is there a confrontation that spawns multiple bosses?
I had two bosses in a regular scenario and it was explained how to handle it. For one boss the deck was built regularly and the other had a fixed behavior.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
I can imagine two bosses : one boss spawned because of an unexpected threat and the other was the confrontation's one.
Which indeed cause a problem.
The way I'd handle it would be to remove the unexpected threat boss behaviour's deck and having him behave like a regular minion (using his strongest attack type to determine if he is a brawler or a ranged).
This way you can use the behaviour's deck for the confrontation's boss as usual.

I can't see why you'd have three bosses on the board tho. If you're refering to the archive's confrontation with two bosses : the card specify whitch one is the boss. The other behave like a minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James M Hewitt
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
kurczaczekx wrote:

James M Hewitt wrote:

Ah! Sorry. Before I did the questions on this thread I was answering ones on Facebook, and I got mixed up. The answer is in the FAQ / Errata document, but here it is as well:

If a Boss is instructed to move into an area but cannot fit because of other characters or scenery, follow these steps:
1. Destroy the largest piece of scenery in the area. The Boss’ move then ends, without it entering the area.
2. If there was no scenery in the area, characters in the area are hurled until there is room for the Boss. Enemies are hurled first, then Agents (or Backup Agents). The Lead Agent chooses the exact order in which character are hurled. Then the Boss moves into the area.

TheHolyPilgrim wrote:
Hey James,

I asked this in another thread, but I was wondering if we could get an official answer.

I was wondering what the ruling is if an agent is stunned with one action cube thanks to wound counters *or other effects.

The rules state that an agent has to spend two action cubes to stand up, but that's obviously not possible with only one action cube. Is it reasonable to only have to spend one cube? Or is there a ruling that I missed somewhere?

*EDIT

They spend as many cubes as they have - even if this is zero - and stand up.

donmakaron wrote:
1. I've played a BPRD Archive case and was instructed to run with Kriegaffe as a Boss nad set the Boss behaviour deck with purple, yellow and white cards, but all white cards are ranged attacks and Kriegaffe hase Range 0 and Ranged Attack 0 (see image below). Why do we include white cards in such case? What do I do if instructed to make a ranged attack with a boss (or even minion maybe) who hase range and range attack 0 value?

1) That's a misprint, I do apologise. Please use the Red triangle instead of the white one - basically, he should have the same Boss Behaviour deck as the Giant Frog Monster.

2) Yes indeed, it's a different icon entirely.

3) This was very kindly answered in the thread

S_A_T_S wrote:

From the FAQ:
If an Agent is Knocked Out before the Confrontation begins, can they still attempt a Last-Ditch Recovery? Where are they placed if they return to play?
They can indeed. If they return to play, they are placed in the Lead Agent’s area if there is room – otherwise, they are placed as close as possible to that area.

dcell wrote:
Two quick questions:
Since Lobster Johnson's paired pistols doesn't flip to an "out of Ammo" side, does he get to keep and ammo requisition cards?

If Hellboy has his Deck of Doom Card, can that action be spent on Big Right Hook or other things that perform a Fight action, or only the basic action Fight.

1) This is an omission, good catch. If a Catastrophe (skull) result is rolled on the Effect die when Lobster makes a Shoot action with his guns, he loses any ammo card that is currently attached to them.

2) Yep, as long as the action involves "Make a Fight Action", you're okay.

LeComteDeGuiche wrote:
Another two questions :

(already asked in another thread but in this interest of centralisation ) :
1) what happen when johan is knocked out and then come back ? Is his ectoplasmic Stability tracker reset ?

2)
The Doom Card "Rampaging Sentinel" ask to place Kriegaffe if he's available. What makes him available ? Only his non-presence on the board, or are there other conditions ?

1) If he comes back because the Agents took time, then it resets to the top as per his Containment Suit rule. If he comes back due to a Last-Ditch Recovery, it stays on the bottom space of the track - he'd better Stabilise before he takes any damage!
2)
If you've got the Kickstarter edition, it just means "if he's not in play". That card's part of the Conqueror Worm expansion which doesn't include Kriegaffe, so when someone buys it at retail they'll just use a Minion D unless they've bought Kriegaffe separately.

jorl wrote:
Case File "Cold Shoulder" - Setup
There are errors in the board layout:
- no door at the starting area
- the room on the top left is on the back of the room with the tubes. It is impossible to use both.

This has been added to the FAQ / Errata document, thanks.

jorl wrote:
Jibar wrote:
Can you please explain (in spoiler tags) how that happened? Is there a confrontation that spawns multiple bosses?
I had two bosses in a regular scenario and it was explained how to handle it. For one boss the deck was built regularly and the other had a fixed behavior.

I'll second this. I'm baffled. Please let us know how this happened!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
JamesMHewitt wrote:
jorl wrote:
Jibar wrote:

I'll second this. I'm baffled. Please let us know how this happened!

I'm not the original poster but theoratically and as I mentionned above : unexpected threat can still be in play when the confrontation begins which would cause the behaviour problem.
Using the "Adding Unexpected Threats" rule from the archive's expansion :
Quote:
You can shuffle up to three unexpected threat cards into the deck of doom
You can have up to 4 bosses on the board in the worst case scenario.

That is, if I'm not mistaken

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [10] |