[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official-ish FAQ Thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
jorl wrote:
Jibar wrote:
I was playing an Archives mission and ended up with three bosses on the field at the same time. What do you do with the Boss Behaviour deck in this case (especially as they shared some cards)?

Can you please explain (in spoiler tags) how that happened? Is there a confrontation that spawns multiple bosses?
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had two bosses in a regular scenario and it was explained how to handle it. For one boss the deck was built regularly and the other had a fixed behavior.

First one appeared through the Twist card that has Baba Yaga appear after killing so many minions. The second was Hecate from an Unexpected Threat card which I drew that same turn. The third was the Confrontation boss, Rasputin. It was the Objective that has you picking up the artefact and we were standing on it, and I hoped picking it up would wipe the other in play cards and get the other two off the table before the main boss showed up. No such luck.

I entirely admit getting 3 was my own fault, but the first 2 appearing was entirely by random draw.

swirlsaepi wrote:
Jibar wrote:
I was playing an Archives mission and ended up with three bosses on the field at the same time. What do you do with the Boss Behaviour deck in this case (especially as they shared some cards)?

Jesus, that sounds awful.

I would build the Boss Behavior deck with whatever cards were required for each boss. During the Enemy Phase, you could interpret it three ways:

1) Draw one card total and apply the effect to all bosses.
2) Draw one card total and apply the effect to whatever bosses list that particular icon on their card.
3) Draw three cards total and apply the effects of one card separately to each boss.

Without an official ruling from James, I personally would go with Option #1 above.

It's probably worth saying I actually went with a 4) and drew for each in turn, but if the card didn't belong to that boss I treated it as a reshuffle. Which was time consuming so I don't recommend it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark horneff
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi i also ended up with two bosses playing a random BRPD case

the confrontation was Baba Yaga was instructed to place an random fiend in her place. Enter Koenen who spawns ilsa, i can spend two insight to summon Baba for a turn, and boom two bosses and a fiend.

If Kroenen dies before Ilsa i would be running two bosses, its the relic goal so i need to get to starting location with boss at least two areas away, does this mean either boss ?

Any suggestions on How do I handle this ? And how to build the boss ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
During setup, if I buy Ammo as part of the budget/requisition step for my agent, can the agent start the game with the Ammo loaded (tucked under the weapon card) or can an Agent only load Ammo by spending an action cube (or through the Reload action) after the game has started? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
giles_t wrote:
During setup, if I buy Ammo as part of the budget/requisition step for my agent, can the agent start the game with the Ammo loaded (tucked under the weapon card) or can an Agent only load Ammo by spending an action cube (or through the Reload action) after the game has started? Thanks!

I would think you'd have to load the ammo prior to using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owangolama
United States
California
flag msg tools
Is it correct that for agents that don't have a Deck of Doom card, there is simply nothing additional added to the Doom Deck? If so, those characters are a bit more difficult to play based on that parameter, correct? Is this intentional?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owangolama
United States
California
flag msg tools
Does a stunned enemy still cause a downgrade for FIGHT tests against other enemies in the same area? That would seem odd, but I believe RAW that is what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest to subscribe to this file: Hellboy: The Board Game FAQ and Errata document
So you will not miss a new version.

owangolama wrote:
Does a stunned enemy still cause a downgrade for FIGHT tests against other enemies in the same area? That would seem odd, but I believe RAW that is what happens.

Official FAQ wrote:
Stunned Enemies still cause downgrades during Fight, Shoot and Examine actions

owangolama wrote:
Is it correct that for agents that don't have a Deck of Doom card, there is simply nothing additional added to the Doom Deck? If so, those characters are a bit more difficult to play based on that parameter, correct? Is this intentional?

What do you want to add, if there is no card? The Centre-Stage Backup Agents are weaker then the normal ones. They do not need another bad thing to happen to them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The stun grenade card states “Ranged Weapon. Do not make a Shoot Test. Instead, each character in the target area is stunned.”
1) Does the grenade automatically hit an area and therefore auto stun targets - is there no test of any kind? Even if there are Obscured Areas (page 13) in between the agents and target area?
2) If no Shoot Test is made for the grenade, can an Agent use the grenade with enemies in their area?
3) Why does the Stun Grenade affect Characters, but the Concussive Grenade only affects Enemies?

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P K
msg tools
In the tutorial mission, I had this situation:

At the end of a Rest phase (first Rest phase in that game), I had to advance the Impending Doom tracker; this moved it onto space 7, triggering both in-play case file cards (the one where after advancing the doom tracker in the Rest phase, some enemies are spawned on the entrance area, and the one triggered by the reaction/trigger marker that starts off the Confrontation).

Do I just apply both effects, ie spawn those extra enemies AND start the Confrontation? Or would the start of the Confrontation overrule the other effect? Is there a general rule for these simultaneous effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bort Bertsson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeusBTY wrote:

At the end of a Rest phase (first Rest phase in that game), I had to advance the Impending Doom tracker; this moved it onto space 7, triggering both in-play case file cards (the one where after advancing the doom tracker in the Rest phase, some enemies are spawned on the entrance area, and the one triggered by the reaction/trigger marker that starts off the Confrontation).

Do I just apply both effects, ie spawn those extra enemies AND start the Confrontation? Or would the start of the Confrontation overrule the other effect? Is there a general rule for these simultaneous effects?

Spawn the enemies and then start the confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few questions about Sinister Birds, especially on how they interact with End Phase effects and a certain Confrontation ...
Disclaimer: I don't have the game in front of me right now, so apologies if my recap of abilities is inaccurate. This is all based on what I remember from yesterday's game.

1.) The "New Rule" card for the Sinister Birds roughly equates them with Frog Swarms. I guess this implies that Sinister Birds are not considered characters and thus do not count towards room capacity, right?

2.a) Again, in analogy to Frog Swarms: Will an Inferno remove one Sinister Bird in the End Phase, if there are any of them in the Inferno's area?

2.b) If the answer to the previous question is 'yes', I'd be interested in the exact timing of that effect in relation to the "if there are 3 Sinister Birds on the board, replace them with Harpies" clause on the rule card of the Birds. My assumption would be that, like Frog Swarms, the Inferno would remove a Sinister Bird before their number is checked for the Harpy transformation. Is this correct?

3.) This is more of a balancing question, I suppose. The "New Rule" card for Sinister Birds states that, for each Bird on the board, agents receive one downgrade whenever they take a test. This seems to be fine during the Investigation part of the game, but I believe that the effect can be pretty harsh in conjunction with a certain Confrontation that's part of the B.P.R.D. Archives:
Hecate is spawned together with 3 Sinister Birds in her area. They have the following cumulative effects:
- Hecate's resilience is raised by 1 per Sinister Bird, which will give her a total resilience of at least 6 (there are additional case file-related effects that can increase this number even further).
- Due to the downgrades caused by the Sinister Birds, agents will regularly roll no better than orange test dice when attacking an enemy. When attacking Hecate, it would require a lot of luck to score higher than 6 to even have a chance to get past her resilience. (I'm aware that there are other ways to damage her, but those may not be enough to ultimately defeat her, so a direct few attacks will likely be necessary.)
- The downgrades caused by the Sinister Birds will obviously also affect Defence tests. When defending, agents will at best roll yellow dice for the test (in some cases, like Abe, even none except for the effect die), unless they spend a significant amount of actions on upgrading - which would in turn leave them with little to no actions for the actual Action Phase. So they will either be unable to do much, or get knocked out rather quickly.

This made me wonder whether the downgrade effect of the Sinister Birds should possibly be restricted to the room they're in (or maybe even to the area, but then they probably would feel too similar to Frog Swarms).

Of course I may be totally off with my calculations, so please let me know if I missed something that lessens the effect of those pesky birds. Please also note that I have only been playing with two agents so far. Maybe the Sinister Birds are a lot less devastating when playing the Confrontation with more agents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

3.) This is more of a balancing question, I suppose. The "New Rule" card for Sinister Birds states that, for each Bird on the board, agents receive one downgrade whenever they take a test. This seems to be fine during the Investigation part of the game, but I believe that the effect can be pretty harsh in conjunction with a certain Confrontation that's part of the B.P.R.D. Archives:
Hecate is spawned together with 3 Sinister Birds in her area. They have the following cumulative effects:
- Hecate's resilience is raised by 1 per Sinister Bird, which will give her a total resilience of at least 6 (there are additional case file-related effects that can increase this number even further).
- Due to the downgrades caused by the Sinister Birds, agents will regularly roll no better than orange test dice when attacking an enemy. When attacking Hecate, it would require a lot of luck to score higher than 6 to even have a chance to get past her resilience. (I'm aware that there are other ways to damage her, but those may not be enough to ultimately defeat her, so a direct few attacks will likely be necessary.)
- The downgrades caused by the Sinister Birds will obviously also affect Defence tests. When defending, agents will at best roll yellow dice for the test (in some cases, like Abe, even none except for the effect die), unless they spend a significant amount of actions on upgrading - which would in turn leave them with little to no actions for the actual Action Phase. So they will either be unable to do much, or get knocked out rather quickly.

This made me wonder whether the downgrade effect of the Sinister Birds should possibly be restricted to the room they're in (or maybe even to the area, but then they probably would feel too similar to Frog Swarms).

I played this confrontation.
If I remember correctly Hecate had a lot of cards for moving. She came to us and we never had to fight her in the same space as the birds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
1.) The "New Rule" card for the Sinister Birds roughly equates them with Frog Swarms. I guess this implies that Sinister Birds are not considered characters and thus do not count towards room capacity, right?

Assuming you meant area capacity, yes.

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
2.a) Again, in analogy to Frog Swarms: Will an Inferno remove one Sinister Bird in the End Phase, if there are any of them in the Inferno's area?

Tho not specified, we played at such. An official confirmation would be nice on this one.

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
2.b) If the answer to the previous question is 'yes', I'd be interested in the exact timing of that effect in relation to the "if there are 3 Sinister Birds on the board, replace them with Harpies" clause on the rule card of the Birds. My assumption would be that, like Frog Swarms, the Inferno would remove a Sinister Bird before their number is checked for the Harpy transformation. Is this correct?

Also not specified. It made sense for us to resolve the harpy thing at the end of the end phase ("other effects"). So yes, the inferno would remove them before the number check.

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

Of course I may be totally off with my calculations, so please let me know if I missed something that lessens the effect of those pesky birds. Please also note that I have only been playing with two agents so far. Maybe the Sinister Birds are a lot less devastating when playing the Confrontation with more agents.

All of this is correct as far as I know. We played multiples games with these birds and it often result in agents rolling only the effect dice on defence. Althought largely increasing the difficulty, I like them. They force players to have alternatives ways of dealing damages : a fire source is grealy appreciated for instance. They also make the capacity "check an encounter card and put it back on the board face down" much more useful as the confrontation often result in fliping all the remaining encounter cards and dealing with a bird on the other side of the board is nearly impossible.

In order to make them managable without lowering the difficulty, maybe consider using the 3 birds -> harpys rule during confrontation. It would make for some difficult turns, but it'd make the confrontation a little bit less frustrating maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
jorl wrote:
If I remember correctly Hecate had a lot of cards for moving. She came to us and we never had to fight her in the same space as the birds.

The birds affect the whole board .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witold Jakubowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sinister Bird's card states that it could be removed by any effect that would remove a Frog Swarm, so an Inferno would remove SInister Bird in the end phase. Though, Inferno rules states that it removes one Frog Swarm from it's area, so I would say Agents should pick one Frog Swarm or one Sinister bird and let it burn. But I might be wrong on that I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
I played this confrontation.
Quote:

Hm, interesting! laugh Because
in my game, Hecate never even moved once. She summoned minions rightaway, then did all kinds of ranged attacks for the next four of five turns, until she was defeated.

LeComteDeGuiche wrote:

Yes, I meant area capacity, sorry. blush

Thanks for your further comments, that's exactly how I played it as well, because the Frog Swarm analogy seemed to imply it. I was just looking for 'official-ish' confirmation, and maybe those questions would make good additions to the FAQ file.

LeComteDeGuiche wrote:
They force players to have alternatives ways of dealing damages : a fire source is grealy appreciated for instance.

True. I managed to actually win the confrontation I talked about by
putting an Inferno in Hecate's area, thus gradually damaging her over time (and roasting one Sinister Bird per round, which promptly got replaced due to Hecate's ability). Later, when all minions were dead, the agents rushed in and used Insight tokens to inflict some direct damage to Hecate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P K
msg tools
bort_bertsson wrote:
ZeusBTY wrote:

Thanks for your quick response :-) , but is this your interpretation or do you have an official source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Sinister Bird's card states that it could be removed by any effect that would remove a Frog Swarm, so an Inferno would remove SInister Bird in the end phase. Though, Inferno rules states that it removes one Frog Swarm from it's area, so I would say Agents should pick one Frog Swarm or one Sinister bird and let it burn. But I might be wrong on that I guess.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have the card in front of me right now, but if memory serves, the wording only referred to agent actions such as Clear (in the Action Phase) and Secure (when Taking Time). Though it's possible that those actions were simply meant to be examples, and other effects - like Inferno - were just implied ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Sinister Birds card wrote:
They can be removed from the board by anything that would remove a frog warm - For example, a clear action or seclure rest action

It seems safe to assume that inferno remove them as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
donmakaron wrote:
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:
As I mentioned earlier, I don't have the card in front of me right now, but if memory serves, the wording only referred to agent actions such as Clear (in the Action Phase) and Secure (when Taking Time). Though it's possible that those actions were simply meant to be examples, and other effects - like Inferno - were just implied ...

I'm pretty sure the actions you've mentioned are just examples, but let's get home from work (or wherever) and check then

Looks like someone just did that for us:

LeComteDeGuiche wrote:
Sinister Birds card wrote:
They can be removed from the board by anything that would remove a frog warm - For example, a clear action or seclure rest action

It seems safe to assume that inferno remove them as well.

Thanks, all, for your input so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bort Bertsson
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeusBTY wrote:
bort_bertsson wrote:
ZeusBTY wrote:

Thanks for your quick response :-) , but is this your interpretation or do you have an official source?

No official source sorry. I don't have the cards in front of me right now, but I believe the first card (not the confrontation) just says 'when you take time' but the doom marker is moved specifically at the end of the rest phase. Also, the first part of the confrontation is a rest phase. That's why I would interpret it this way - spawn enemies,then set up the confrontation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Heaton
msg tools
As far as I know, each dice can only be downgraded or upgraded one grade. So if you have orange defence, the lowest you can go is 3 yellows. You should only roll only the effect die for a stat that starts out yellow I think.
LeComteDeGuiche wrote:
DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

Tho not specified, we played at such. An official confirmation would be nice on this one.

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

Also not specified. It made sense for us to resolve the harpy thing at the end of the end phase ("other effects"). So yes, the inferno would remove them before the number check.

DrGosburoCoffin wrote:

All of this is correct as far as I know. We played multiples games with these birds and it often result in agents rolling only the effect dice on defence. Althought largely increasing the difficulty, I like them. They force players to have alternatives ways of dealing damages : a fire source is grealy appreciated for instance. They also make the capacity "check an encounter card and put it back on the board face down" much more useful as the confrontation often result in fliping all the remaining encounter cards and dealing with a bird on the other side of the board is nearly impossible.

In order to make them managable without lowering the difficulty, maybe consider using the 3 birds -> harpys rule during confrontation. It would make for some difficult turns, but it'd make the confrontation a little bit less frustrating maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giles
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Rookie Mode Doom Card, Favour of Old Gods, states, “An Agent can discard a marker cube from this card after making a test to re-roll any one of the test dice.”
1) Can an Agent discard more than one marker cube to re-roll more than one die on the same test. For example, can an Agent discard 3 marker cubes to re-roll 3 dice on the same test?
2) Can an Agent discard more than one marker cube to re-roll the same die more than once on the same test. For example, can an Agent discard 3 marker cubes to re-roll the same die 3 times on the same test?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LeComteDeGuiche wrote:
jorl wrote:

The birds affect the whole board .

surprise Totally missed this. (It is still better to have them in a different spot then the boss. So you have at least the option to remove them - in addtion to the confrontation specific way.)

LeComteDeGuiche wrote:

There is still an end phase during the confrontation. So the conversion into harpies is by the rules. (I also missed that when I played.)

ClayMankey wrote:
As far as I know, each dice can only be downgraded or upgraded one grade. So if you have orange defense, the lowest you can go is 3 yellows. You should only roll only the effect die for a stat that starts out yellow I think.

I'm quite sure this was what he meant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Gosburo Coffin
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
LeComteDeGuiche wrote:

There is still an end phase during the confrontation. So the conversion into harpies is by the rules. (I also missed that when I played.)

Yup, I was aware of this, but it didn't happen in my case, because of the Inferno in the Birds' room that always eliminated one Sinister Bird before the "3 Birds => 3 Harpies" check was performed each round. (At least this is what I believe should have happened by the rules - that's why I was asking here. )
But as LeComteDeGuiche implied, it actually might have been a good idea to let that transformation happen. It would have meant 3 more Harpies in play, but also less downgrades and
less resilience on Hecate ... at least until all the Birds are back, because she keeps on spawning them.

jorl wrote:
ClayMankey wrote:
As far as I know, each dice can only be downgraded or upgraded one grade. So if you have orange defense, the lowest you can go is 3 yellows. You should only roll only the effect die for a stat that starts out yellow I think.

I'm quite sure this was what he meant.

Indeed.

Most agents, like Hellboy, Liz and Johann, will usually roll orange dice for Defence. Three Sinister Birds will downgrade this to three yellow dice (regardless of other factors that would cause downgrades, because downgrades are 'capped' at yellow for those agents). This is already bad enough when facing a boss with an attack rating of 8 or 9.
Abe only rolls yellow dice for Defence, which will get downgraded to naught (plus effect die) with three little birdies on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.