53 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Barrage» Forums » General

Subject: Where is spot UV? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
Cranio where is Spot UV? You said that in Modena you have final production copies but I don't see spot UV neither on the boxer nor on boards. Can you clarify? I hope you didn't just hid it from us that you won't do it.. Also why you changed those objectives tiles? They were so pretty before..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustavo De basica
msg tools
mbmbmb
The list of missed/downgraded parts gets bigger and bigger each day...

But no problem, in 20 days we will get a new update with “patience”,”we are working in other things not yours”, together we can” and so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
Worst part is that this is it. This is the final version of the game. I'm disappointed in Cranio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I'm way past disappointed at this point. I feel swindled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisniaPL wrote:
Worst part is that this is it. This is the final version of the game. I'm disappointed in Cranio.
Common sense would suggest that promising to "show off some juicy picture starting from Friday!" would mean they are taking pictures of the final production copies.

However, as usual with Cranio's lack of communication, we don't really know for sure that the images from Modena are taken of the final product.

I'm astounded how unprofessional this campaign is run and how Cranio thinks uploading those pictures at that stage of production (almost finished) on their social media page is ok when 4076 backers are waiting to see how their investment will look like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
BeloW06 wrote:
WisniaPL wrote:
Common sense would suggest that promising to "show off some juicy picture starting from Friday!" would mean they are taking pictures of the final production copies.

However, as usual with Cranio's lack of communication, we don't really know for sure that the images from Modena are taken of the final product.

I'm astounded how unprofessional this campaign is run and how Cranio thinks uploading those pictures at that stage of production (almost finished) on their social media page is ok when 4076 backers are waiting to see how their investment will look like.

In KS update they said that in Modena they will have final copies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Schippers
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Do we don't get UV Spot?
So that means they deleting a stretch goal.
Never seen that before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
riccardo rodolfi
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,
we didn't strip out the UV spotting at all. Please have a look at the last campaign update! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craniocreations/barrage...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blackworm wrote:
Hello guys,
we didn't strip out the UV spotting at all. Please have a look at the last campaign update! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/craniocreations/barrage...

Well, I think that all looks rather nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So the new update proves via video that spot UV is in fact applied to the final box and game board. Is the sky still falling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
What about 3D board? During campaign Cranio answered that 3D board will get same treatment as normal one. Cranio can you clarify?

I'm sorry but this is what you get if you don't communicate and show game on pics from worst side. Cardboard tiles and player boards were also promised thicker but they won't be. I think it's not fair to change it and don't say nothing about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just realized that they haven't actually confirmed that they will still be shipping the games to backers, either. What, now we have to go to Italy to pick up our copy? This is outrageous! How dare they?!

And according to the final production pictures, it looks like they aren't including a rule book in the game! They're making us print out our own copy? Ridiculous!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
So the new update proves via video that spot UV is in fact applied to the final box and game board. Is the sky still falling?
The UV spot videos are both for the front and back of the core board in the update. At least my poor eyes can't see any glare in the images of the 3D boards where the light shines at angles that should cause the same effect that you can see in the video.

I guess that's why people are still asking about the UV spots for the 3D map?

I'm ok if there are no UV spots on the 3D board. I will only get the core game. But it was mentioned during the campaign that the 3D map would get that treatment too.

For me, that's a fair reason to still ask that question. YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
Becq wrote:
I just realized that they haven't actually confirmed that they will still be shipping the games to backers, either. What, now we have to go to Italy to pick up our copy? This is outrageous! How dare they?!

And according to the final production pictures, it looks like they aren't including a rule book in the game! They're making us print out our own copy? Ridiculous!
Do you have a problem with yourself? I can see game is worse quality than promised. I paid 110 euro for quality on par with Lacerda games. If the only way to get response from publisher is to start a shitstorm then let there be shitstorm.

On pics you can clearly see that tiles are thinner then promised(3d board is 4mm and tiles look 1/3 of it). If they would provide quality production pics on time then no one would doubt in them. I ask quastions on KS many times and they do not answer. If you don't have time for your backers then don't ask them for investment.

Also can you not Spam? Do you have an answer to my question?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Parkes
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Simply the idea that the someone thought the box didn't have spot UV on it once has made me so angry I want to eat the sun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
It was reasonable to question it. Cranio broke promises using thinner cardboard, changed so many things in project and showed really bad looking game in Modena pics and there was radio silence. They lost trust so everybody starts to question. I still can't get an answer whether spot UV on 3D board was dropped or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the communication of Cranio was lacking. Seriosly lacking, which then automatically triggers various doubts. But, well, I am willing to concede that other people's mileage may vary here.

However, there already is a promise which is almost certain to be broken, and we don't have to discuss component qualities here. The promised 6 months of exclusive access was a main incentive to back the product instead of waiting for retail.

It is safe to assume that the game will be sold at SPIEL '19 in Essen if it is produced by then. SPIEL starts on October 24. Everyone can do the math now. Does anyone really expect to receive Barrage within the next 14 days? And if it is 99.9% certain that one promise will be broken, can you really blame backers for questioning other promises as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the Cranio uploaded images where the UV spot is not visible on the 3D map:

Edit: Here's how it shoud look like

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here are some Cranio update images that should show 2mm recessed player boards of 2mm + 2mm thickness:

As a comparison, this is how the 2mm recess of the 3D map looks like:

This is a way deeper recess on the map, but should be the same on the faction boards according to what Cranio told us during the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
MetalPirate wrote:
I think that the communication of Cranio was lacking. Seriosly lacking, which then automatically triggers various doubts. But, well, I am willing to concede that other people's mileage may vary here.

However, there already is a promise which is almost certain to be broken, and we don't have to discuss component qualities here. The promised 6 months of exclusive access was a main incentive to back the product instead of waiting for retail.

It is safe to assume that the game will be sold at SPIEL '19 in Essen if it is produced by then. SPIEL starts on October 24. Everyone can do the math now. Does anyone really expect to receive Barrage within the next 14 days? And if it is 99.9% certain that one promise will be broken, can you really blame backers for questioning other promises as well?

During campaign they said that they won't sell at Speil if production of Barrage will be late. I don't care about it but I'm curious what they plan to do. I'm deeply disappointed about few of their broken promises.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Kowalski
msg tools
BeloW06 wrote:
Here are the Cranio uploaded images where the UV spot is not visible on the 3D map:

Clearly no spot UV on 3D map. That was my reason to buy it :-/ now I will have to choose if I want to play on 3D map or on normal one with spot UV and less ugly iconography..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I see what you're getting at. And while I'm not entirely convinced that the spot UV was left off (* see below), you've convinced me that there's enough smoke to ask about there being a fire.

---

(*) spot UV has a very highly specular reflection, which means that the light has to be at just the right angle. In the movie showing the standard board, it looks like they had fluorescent tubes, making it much easier to see the spot UV all the way across the board as they angled it -- but notice how thin the reflection was, and that beyond that 1 inch or so strip of reflection, the spot UV regions looked perfectly mundane.

For the stills, it kind of looks to me as though they used an incandescent bulb or other point source light (you can see this in the second still, were the light source was reflected as a circular blob). In the first still, it looks as though the specular reflection would be right around where the upper left lake is -- but that upper left lake is where the water drop cards go, and likely wasn't given treatment. In the second picture, it looks like the specular reflection would be right about where that cluster of power plant insets it, which would also be free of spot UV. The third still has no reflection at all.

As to the inset depths on the player board, I've got to say that they do look a little thin to me, too. You might well be right. But I'll point out two things I noticed that *might* explain what we're seeing there:
1) Look at the *edge* of the black player board you linked. The line between the two layers is visible if you zoom in a bit, and the two layers have the same thickness. The top layer *looks* thicker than the inset to me, which doesn't make sense, so it's likely that's a visual artifact.
2) Again looking at the thickness of that black player board, now compare it to the game board. Specifically, compare it to the nearest corner of the middle board, where you can most clearly see where the support layer meets the top layer. The thickness there looks similar to the player board to me. Along the rest of the board edge, what you're actually seeing is the top layer (the board) along with a little of the middle layer. (Note: this in itself is strange, since the support layers were supposed to be 3mm to the game board's 4mm, meaning the support layer shouldn't be visible at all along the join between the two levels.)
3) With regard to the insets, the angle of the lighting in the mapboard still is causing a lot of shadowing in the insets, whereas the player board has none at all. On the game board inset, look at the upper left edge of the inset, which looks quite a lot thinner than the upper right, due to shadowing. Compare that to the black player board's insets. I'll grant that there might be a difference, still, but the difference is fairly subtle.

---

So, ok, ask Cranio the questions. But maybe we can hold the torches and pitchforks in reserve until we know for sure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The 3d board is at least 1mm more recessed than the player boards. You can kind of make it out in this picture.

Look at the buildings. Notice how much more is peeking out of the player board.

You can see more of the notches on the player board than the one on the board.

Still this isn't a big deal for me. I would have preferred the player boards to be 2mm recessed (more like scythe) but this will probably still get the job done. Someone in the italian Barrage thread on Goblins.net commented that the recesses were small but still worked.

My major concern is all the other cardboard pieces looking really thin. The coins in the first picture look castles of burgundy thin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, hadn't seen that picture, but agree with your assessment.

Hey, at the very least, photo analysis is helping kill the wait time. #tarnishedsilverlining

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WisniaPL wrote:
During campaign they said that they won't sell at Speil if production of Barrage will be late.
Where did they say that?

If the retail version is ready for sale in October, I bet that it will be sold at the biggest game fair in the world. No publisher can afford to miss that opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |