Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The advanced land combat system has surprising subtlety in its tactics. In preparing the combat odds (available as a PDF here), I had to carefully consider the "kill decisions" of each type of hit. The rules leave several choices to the player, including the order in which to apply kills.

I've come to the conclusion that the best algorithm is to resolve hits in the following sequence:

First, the artillery hits each remove two infantry (if possible); otherwise the first unit (in the I, T, A, P sequence) is removed.

Second, the infantry hits each kill the first unit, as per basic combat (I, T, A, P).

Third, the tank hits skip infantry, *unless* there is only infantry left, but at least two of whatever comes behind the I (ex: ITT... or IAA... or IPP...).

Finally the plane hits are allocated as follows:
If there are any singletons, kill one (in order of decreasing preference: P, T, A, I), otherwise:
Kill a plane if possible, otherwise:
Kill a tank if possible, otherwise:
Kill an artillery if possible, otherwise:
Kill an infantry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Tactics
Urhixidur (#38941),

I am not sure what you mean by:

Third, the tank hits skip infantry, *unless* there is only infantry left, but at least two of whatever comes behind the I (ex: ITT... or IAA... or IPP...).

It sounds like you are saying that for each tank hit, you destroy two enemies, which is not the case. Each tank allows you to roll two dice, but you can only match up one die per each unit attacking. The only unit that kills two units in 1 go are the artillery units (all techs notwithstanding).

If you did not mean that, sorry! I just wanted to be clear on the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel U. Thibault
Canada
Québec
Québec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedick (#39305),
«
»
A word was missing:
«
Third, the tank hits skip infantry, *unless* there is only one infantry left, but at least two of whatever comes behind the I (ex: ITT... or IAA... or IPP...).
»

To illustrate, when the time comes to allocate the T hit, if you are facing IITA or IITT, kill the first T (resulting in IIA or IIT, respectively). If you are facing ITA, kill the T (resulting in IA). However, if you are facing ITT, you are better off killing the I than the T.

What it boils down to is: kill singletons whenever you can, even if you could have killed a juicy P instead.

To give an example, using the uploaded table, you see that P facing IPPP has 0,55% overall chance of success. Assuming you survive the defensive fire, you then have a choice of reducing the fight to P-PPP or P-IPP. It turns out you have a 4,75% chance of winning the former but only a 1,66% chance of winning the latter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur (#39352),

Ahhh! That makes much better sense now!

The numbers seem unintuitive at first - especially the P-IPPP scenario. One would "think" that killing a unit with two chances per hit per die would be the best route, but it does come down to pip differentiation - reduce the odds by reducing the well-rounded force.

Well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Peterson
United States
Corona
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Urhixidur (#39352),
"To give an example, using the uploaded table, you see that P facing IPPP has 0,55% overall chance of success. Assuming you survive the defensive fire, you then have a choice of reducing the fight to P-PPP or P-IPP. It turns out you have a 4,75% chance of winning the former but only a 1,66% chance of winning the latter."

Since the chance of surviving another round is awful either way, I think I'd rather kill a 15 pt plane than a 5 pt infantry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.