Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylus is a 2005 worker placement game from designer William Attia with art from Cyril Demaegd and is published by Rio Grande games.

So we are going back into the deep, dark pits of games older than 10 years. Caylus is a worker placement revolving around building a castle in France in the 13th century. As one of the older WPs, it was still finding it's groove within this mechanism. You place workers one at a time, but it costs money for each placement. So some rounds you will place all 6, others just 2 or 3.

You can construct buildings to add additional worker spaces, gaining victory points each time someone uses yours. Starting off with wooden buildings, eventually you can construct stone, residential, and prestige buildings. Now, just beacuse you have available worker spots doesn't mean you can use them. At the end of the action phase of each round, you will check to see where the Provost is. He is a marker you can move around during the action phase and any spaces after him are not activated that round.

One of the most important spots is to help build the actual castle itself. So much so that after each scoring phase, any player who does has not helped gets docked points. Building enough times will grant you favor with the king, gaining you extra money, points, etc.

The bailiff moves each round down the buildings until it reaches the final scoring phase. Afterwards whoever has the most points wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bishop=Bailiff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a great great game, can be very very mean and it's awesome because of that.
A classic that has stood the test of time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach M
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jones
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I have not yet played Caylus, I look forward to hearing Adrian's full-throated approval, Jeff's grudging acceptance, and Zach's pleading appeals never to play it again. Though I guess if you're reading this I already heard that...

Do y'all have plans to continue reviewing older "classic" type of fare or was this just to acknowledge your receipt of a free game from a fan and encourage more of that in the future? I would love to hear Mile H G Guys review Puerto Rico, Power Grid, El Grande, Cosmic Encounter, Glory to Rome, Ghost Stories, etc.

[Read the following only if Jeff has survived and is back on the show] ...and I think I speak for everyone when I say welcome back, Jeff! We missed you and are glad to know you're on the mend. Hope you haven't played too much Blood Bowl while you were gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls