Subject: Imbalanced characters - anyone else see this...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Hello, I was trying to analyze each of the characters provided in the set in an effort to create a Runebound Character creation system. I came to the conclusion that all of the characters are equally balanced, except for two.

Varikas the Dead is three points (in the system I've discovered) more powerful than everyone else.

Mordrog is four points weaker than everyone else.

This can be resolved in the following way.

Take Varikas Resist skill and give it to Mordrog. This makes Mordrog match everyone else and Varikas be one point behind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Imbalanced characters - anyone else see this...?
MadCarthos (#38971),
Well, I do not know how your system works, but Mordrog's 5 life point is certainly worth considering. As for Varikas, he only has three (but good abilities). Although I'd rather play with Varikas (as he has more "range" in terms of character), Mordrog is more likely to survive. That's my opinion though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, in the point system that I am developing (more info to come later), a strong minority (5) of the characters have 23 points - simply by adding all of the numeric scores together. The second strongest minority (4) of the characters have 22 points. The remaining 3 characters have either 21 or 25 points. Ronan of the Wild and Mordrog have 21 points and Varikas has 25 points.

Now of course, I understand that their special abilities will have some weight in balancing out the characters, but if that is the case, I'm surprised Mordrog has no special ability at all. Ronan of the Wild has a relatively weak ability as was described elsewhere on this board, but I'm guessing that the ability to manipulate movement dice was considered a strong ability by the game designers. I'm even more surprised that Varikas has a further special ability, which would add more points to the total.

I will gladly share the system I seem to have discovered which shows why I believe that Varikas and Mordrog are unbalanced when compared with the others. I suppose there is an easy way to test this. We could put these two against each other in hero combat repeatedly in an effort to see who comes out on top, or if there is equal opportunity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Jensen
United States
Belgrade
Montana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MadCarthos (#38971),

Having played a total of six games now, I don't think Mordrog has to worry about being a weaker character. With his health and his great starting melee attack, he is a real brute in combat. In the six games, he has one two of them, one by acquiring really good magic weapons to make him into a combat monster and the other by acquiring enough allies to make himself a small army. In those six games no one has drawn Varikas yet, but when they do I'll be curious to see if he is as powerful as your chart suggests. On paper he looks really cool to play though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-François Gagné
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warbringer25 (#38997),
Having played a game with a character that had 3 Health, I definitely stand by what I said about Mordrog. A 5 Health is a major advantage.

Ronan is indeed a bit weak in my opinion. However, the fact that he can rerolls means that he is almost certain to rapidly get a level up early, which should be used on his range attack (that has a 2).

As for adding the points, although it works to a certain extent, one musn't forget that a 2 damage with ranged attack is stronger than a 2-damage in magic since it comes in effect sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Very well, I still think that the two should duke it out, but I am willing to admit that 5 health and a strength of 5 have a significant advantage other others.

But for some reason I am really finding it difficult that a 5 health is a 4 point advantage over someone with 4 health. I'll go back and recalculate a new theory and get back with my results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
SUCCESS, I think!

Before, I had not counted the factor that a combat ability that can only be used before combat (as opposed to a combat ability that can be used once (or more) per combat round) is severely limiting. So I took a second look at Mad Carthos, Runewitch Astarra, and Varikas the Dead, now convinced that these three, at least, were equal in power and ability and this could be visually understood in a point like system.

As a preview for the system I have developed, and anyone who reads this is free to make comments or criticize (check my math!) or whatever, I have included the points countup for some of the difficult characters we had a hard time balancing with others.

Please keep in mind, that I am not a rules lawyer or a munchkin or any of that; what I am trying to do is create a character creation system that would make characters equivalent to the characters provided with the game.

Anyway, here goes.

Mad Carthos
Life 4 Stamina 3 Mind 0/1 (1) Body 3/1 (4) Spirit 4/1(5)
Jump (2) Resist (2) Tinker (2)
Combat ability uses 1 wound (1)
Combat ability causes 2 wounds (4)
Can only be used before combat (-3)
Total Points: 25

Mordrog
Life 5 Stamina 3 Mind 1/1 (2) Body 5/2 (7) Spirit 1/1(2)
Swim (1)
Has attribute/damage score total of 6 or more (+1 point
for each score point above 5)
Has life or stamina score of 5 or more (+1 point for each
score point above 3)

Ronan of the Wild
Life 3 Stamina 2 Mind 1/2 (3) Body 2/1 (3) Spirit 3/1 (4)
Climb (2) Hide (2) Swim (2)
Noncombat ability uses 1 exhaust (2)
Does not require a test to use (1)
Affects movement dice specifically (1)

Runewitch Astarra
Life 3 Stamina 4 Mind 2/1 (3) Body 1/1(2) Spirit 4/2 (6)
Jump (2) Swim (2)
Combat ability uses 1 exhaust (3)
Causes 1 wound (2)
Has attribute/damage score total of 6 or more (+1 point
for each score point above 5).

And last, but not least (actually he's pretty equal now, lol)

Varikas the Dead
Life 3 Stamina 4 Mind 1/1 (2) Body 4/1 (5) Spirit 4/1(5)
Jump (2) Resist (4)
Combat ability uses 1 exhaust (3)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Sorry, need to post an update!

Mordrog
Life 5 Stamina 3 Mind 1/1 (2) Body 5/2 (7) Spirit 1/1 (2)
Swim (1)
Has attribute/damage score total of 6 or more (+1 point for each score point above 5)
Has life or stamina score of 5 or more (+2 points for each score point above 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Ack! I can't count! New Update!

Mordrog
Life 5 Stamina 3 Mind 1/1 (2) Body 5/2 (7) Spirit 1/1 (2)
Swim (1)
Has attribute/damage score total of 6 or more (+1 point for each score point above 5)
Has life or stamina score of 5 or more (+3 points for each score point above 4)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.