Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd Goff
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any information on this? The box picture looks pretty finished. Any photos of the contents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Sir Loin o Beef wrote:
Is there any information on this? The box picture looks pretty finished. Any photos of the contents.
Hi. Thanks for the interest! No content pics that I think AEG is currently ready to share. There will be, but I don't have a accurate ETA for you. There is going to be a lot in this box, and we are still working with Ian O'Toole on much of the art and component graphics.

I can answer other questions though if you have any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagner
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mb
Is the “Saga” system cumulative or does the available expansion content reset each game? This sounds intriguing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
bradsterbw wrote:
Is the “Saga” system cumulative or does the available expansion content reset each game? This sounds intriguing.
Hi Brad. Sorry for the super late reply, I forgot to subscribe to this thread, so I missed your question. I'm not 100% sure I understand the question, but it's about how the Dead Reckoning Saga system works, so I'll just explain it...

Dead Reckoning is a fully playable game without the Saga content, and was designed to be complete, deep, and very replayable on its own. I'm saying that up front because I don't want people to confuse the saga system with the whole game being a legacy game. How the saga system works: There is a pack of cards and some other stuff in envelopes, and then a encounter booklet. You are instructed to shuffle a specific set of cards into the discovery decks, and not open or look at the rest of the stuff. While playing the game, some of these saga cards get revealed, and players can choose to explore/interact with them. Depending on the cards and the player choices, you may end up reading from the encounter book, or adding new cards and content, or finding items that will carry over from game to game. Some of the Saga content gets removed from the game as you encounter it, other content gets permanently added, expanding the core game. From game to game there is not a reset; removed content stays removed, added content stays added.

There is no stickering or ripping up of cards, so nothing get permanently changed, and you can reset all the saga stuff if you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halladay
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How direct will the consequences of battling be? I would play this almost exclusively two player with my wife and while we don't mind some player interaction, we don't like anything that tears down the other player's engine. Love Mystic Vale and I am excited to see the card crafting system being applied to other games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
DH1983 wrote:
How direct will the consequences of battling be? I would play this almost exclusively two player with my wife and while we don't mind some player interaction, we don't like anything that tears down the other player's engine. Love Mystic Vale and I am excited to see the card crafting system being applied to other games as well.
Your crew (deck) and ship engines cannot be damaged by other players, but they can take victory points from you either by sinking your ship or replacing your influence on islands with their own. So an end game score set-back, not a in-game engine set-back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
Just listened to Blue Peg, Pink Peg rave about this after playing it at GenCon, anything new to add?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Just listened to Blue Peg, Pink Peg rave about this after playing it at GenCon, anything new to add?
It was fun playing with them at GenCon. Happy to answer questions if you have some. Don't currently have specifics to add.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Fan of Stonemaier GamesMicrobadge: Red Raven Games fanMicrobadge: Detroit Tigers fanMicrobadge: Automa Factory fanMicrobadge: Kickstarter fan
JohnDClair wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
It was fun playing with them at GenCon. Happy to answer questions if you have some. Don't currently have specifics to add.
They talked quite a bit about the world, player interaction, developing the crew, and resolving combat in the pirate ship cube tower. Sounds like you’re evolving the formula from Edge of Darkness... what part are you most excited about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnDClair wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Do you think it will have to be distributed in the same way as Edge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
They talked quite a bit about the world, player interaction, developing the crew, and resolving combat in the pirate ship cube tower. Sounds like you’re evolving the formula from Edge of Darkness... what part are you most excited about?
It's card crafting with a cube tower of sorts; but that is where the cross-over with Edge pretty much ends. I think the card-crafting in this one is really satisfying and feels more thematically relevant than in Mystic Vale or Edge. It's hard to say what excites me the most about the game; really the whole package fits and just makes me feel cool playing it. The biggest innovation in the game is probably the card-leveling system, which is a next step/new form of using card-crafting. It also makes the game very clean in that all the core game systems are baked into your crew from the start, but it's up to the player to determine which of those systems to level into, and at what pace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom D

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How big is the box going to be compared to Edge? How much player vs player combat is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
tomlikeabomb wrote:
How big is the box going to be compared to Edge? How much player vs player combat is there?
I really really want this to come in a Blood Rage size box, so like standard height and width but like 30% deeper. Final decisions like that are AEGs, and the box will be full to the brim, but I plan to make a good case for that size box.

Player vs. player combat is entirely up to the players. I've seen games where the only ship battles were against NPCs. PvP ship battles are not required to win or to do well. Plenty of viable mercantile strategies. That said, there is zero-sum area majority that you will be contesting over, and a players can pursue a super pirate strategy if they want too, or do a mixed approach. Importantly, pvp conflict is about points, not tearing down engines. Players will be able to fight each other for zero-sum island influence points, and possibly pirate some of your treasure in ship battles if you are not careful, but they will not be able to destroy your crew cards or remove you ship upgrades (which together is basically your game-engine).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
rickert wrote:
Do you think it will have to be distributed in the same way as Edge?
KS is the plan, but if you mean infeasible for a retail version post-KS (like Edge), I certainly hope not. Importantly Dead Reckoning has fewer transparent cards, and only a handful of them are double-sided, and that is where a lot of the heavy production cost for Edge came from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
The game can't come soon enough. I am really curious about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!Microbadge: Look!Microbadge: My Favorite Contribution to BGGMicrobadge: Look!Microbadge: My microbadges are hot!
Coiote wrote:
I'm totally with you on that! From 11:41 - 15:06 in this video, I talk about how excited I am for the release of Dead Reckoning:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Coiote wrote:
I'm totally with you on that! From 11:41 - 15:06 in this video, I talk about how excited I am for the release of Dead Reckoning:
Based on your discussion about your interest in the card-crafting and dice tower mechanisms from Dead Reckoning, you owe it to yourself to look into Edge of Darkness (also by John Clair, and including both mechanisms). It's just finishing Kickstarter fulfillment, but will be returning to KS next month.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/229491/edge-darkness
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Could you add the solo rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dying to see a picture of the pirate ship cube tower. Been trying to visualize how it will work.

This is by far my most anticipated game of 2020 even with how little info I've heard so far. I want so bad for there to be a great, playable pirate game. Merchants & Marauders is great, but so hard to get to the table for many reasons. The one big negative for me has been the convoluted ship combat system. The idea of chucking cannonball-cubes into a tower and seeing where they hit sounds like so much fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Runkiller wrote:
Could you add the solo rule?
Maybe. No promises it will be included though at this point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
TyDeL wrote:
Dying to see a picture of the pirate ship cube tower. Been trying to visualize how it will work.

This is by far my most anticipated game of 2020 even with how little info I've heard so far. I want so bad for there to be a great, playable pirate game. Merchants & Marauders is great, but so hard to get to the table for many reasons. The one big negative for me has been the convoluted ship combat system. The idea of chucking cannonball-cubes into a tower and seeing where they hit sounds like so much fun.
The ship tower is definitely the hardest bit to engineer. We need it to be functional (like the current prototype), sturdy (unlike the current prototype), not too difficult to assemble (unlike the current prototype), and look cool (like the current prototype). The new version we've got made we will be testing after Essen. I feel pretty good about it. I think we are 75% there on a final version of the ship.

Thanks for the interest. I'm really excited about this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Crofton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
JohnDClair wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

The ship tower is definitely the hardest bit to engineer. We need it to be functional (like the current prototype), sturdy (unlike the current prototype), not too difficult to assemble (unlike the current prototype), and look cool (like the current prototype). The new version we've got made we will be testing after Essen. I feel pretty good about it. I think we are 75% there on a final version of the ship.

It would be fun to see the various models that you went through as the Kickstarter approaches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Clair
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
JohnDClair wrote:
TyDeL wrote:

It would be fun to see the various models that you went through as the Kickstarter approaches.
Yeah, I like that idea. Good suggestion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls