Popular Tags: [View All]
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I did play 3-4 games of regular GP (each 3p or 4p) and managed to win 1 or 2 of these games. The opponents were as experienced gamers (generally) as I am and most of them did have the same experience level with GP before the game(s).

So, I bought GP and tried to play solo. I fid not beat the Automa in my first game. Then, I changed to the proposed factions and even went to the lowest level. But, I do not have a chance.
My engine is sooooo slooooow. And if I take too much Might/Power (unfortunately, I own the German version), it becomes really expensive in terms of victory points.
Meanwhile, the Automa claims planet for planet. So, after some rounds, I am behing in both scoring tracks and in the current victory points.
Having resources for research? Lol, no.

Apparently, I am playing something horribly wrong. But, what?
Does anybody have (an) idea(s)? Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Selfish
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest you to check this discussion:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2159877/what-world-and-am-i...

Lots of resources there, but you should probably start from these threads linked by Jon, reason being that I feel the opening is extremely important in GP (even more so because you say you have issues in building your engine) and once you're comfortable with that, you should also learn the best ways to score points:

Standard Openings Update (Added Tech Step Recommendations)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2042414/standard-openings-u...

Standard Openings
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1974293/standard-openings

Beyond the Early Game (A Guide to Scoring)
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2045607/beyond-early-game-g...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Smith
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Some things that helped me to play Gaia better involved picking my race based on victory point conditions or certain advanced techs being in opportune places in the knowledge track/ For example I'm gonna lean Geodens if the 'when you pass you get points for each type of planet terraformed' advanced tech is on the terraforming track. Same if the endgame scoring is about how many different types of planets you terraformed.

The same thought process should go into thinking about what booster you pick. I have played many games where no player contested me taking the '4 VP for planetary institute/academy' booster and I've taken it 3 times and accumulated 24 points from it over the course of the game.

Newer players end up getting focused on their engine too much and not enough on playing around what will give you victory points.

Could I build that academy this turn? Sure...but if I wait till next turn it's 5 VP's. Could I gaia form this turn...sure, and in some cases it will be the right move, but others it can be prudent to wait if the next round provides bonus points for gaia forming.

The best players I've met are able to look at the Round and Endgame VP conditions and what's at the top of the knowledge tracks and then the map and get an idea of what race is going to allow them to maximize those VP's. In contrast newer players are way more hyped on the 'shiny' of "Yeah but if I [insert a move whereby they get more resources instead of VP] I can build a better engine!"

And that's okay, Gaia is a game where often the first few times the people who've played it with me aren't invested purely in winning, the points at the end don't matter as much as the fun they had trying to build the best engine.

One thing to remember is to double check you are only giving the Automa points when it should get points. It doesn't get points from the boosters it takes. It doesn't get points from getting a federation token at the top of the terraforming track iirc, it only scores from the cards, faction actions, the flat amount of VP at the end of each round, and the endgame scoring from knowledge tracks and the 2 endgame scoring conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo P
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
... unfortunately, I own the German version ...

Care to elaborate? It's a german game, so together with the inflated pricing and botched faction translations of Zman I'd say you got the best version available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the English version of almost any game as we can play with non-Germans as well. We have tons of French family members.

I do get your points. Both are valid. Normally, the original language of any game is better. But, this means less options to play GP for us.
Even if GP relies on symbols. Sometimes, players want to read rules on their own to not spoil a strategy

Edit: And it complicates discussions on BGG, if you miss words.

PS: John Schnee, Königsmund, ... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nyrang wrote:
I'd suggest you to check this discussion:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2159877/what-world-and-am-i...

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Automa gets points really linear while players get more in later rounds

How many points did you got in your multiplayer games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Space Trucker
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
I prefer the English version of almost any game as we can play with non-Germans as well. We have tons of French family members.

I do get your points. Both are valid. Normally, the original language of any game is better. But, this means less options to play GP for us.
Even if GP relies on symbols. Sometimes, players want to read rules on their own to not spoil a strategy

Wouldn't printing the English rules help? (https://www.zmangames.com/en/products/gaia-project/)
Possibly also French? (http://www.edgeent.fr/jeux/collection/terra_mystica_projet_g... - seems to require to log in)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K O
msg tools
Usual winning scores are in in the 160 - 180 VP range.
If you achived this in your multiplayer games, then I would suspect some Automa rule error on your side.
If your multiplayer scores were much lower than this, I would suggest reading the posted threads above to help you with your game strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:

Good question. Not 180. I suppose we all were at 120 to 150 ?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lenrok wrote:
If you achived this in your multiplayer games, then I would suspect some Automa rule error on your side.
If your multiplayer scores were much lower than this, I would suggest reading the posted threads above to help you with your game strategies.

That is the plan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

That seems like you all need to learn more about the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Lenrok wrote:

You really dont need 160 vp to beat the easiest Automa and probably not to beat a group of players who are new to the game.

In general I think for your first ten games its really ok to get much less then 160 vp, because it does need some experience to get better.

I would suggest you note your groups personal highscore of each faction and try to beat that. In this forum you should really find some helpful advices to improve your gameplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
bluesheep wrote:
horstderadler wrote:
... unfortunately, I own the German version ...

Care to elaborate? It's a german game, so together with the inflated pricing and botched faction translations of Zman I'd say you got the best version available.

Exactly this. The only times I find myselph buying an english version of a boardgame is if
a) the german rules are not precisce translated
b) not all expansions are released in german (yes I look at you spirit island)
c) the release of a german version is taking foreeeever!

Beside these exeptions I would never buy a game in a foreignlanguage expecially not if german is the original version.
And whats the problem with playing your german game with french friends. You (or one other groupmember) do explain what you did read in the rulebook for the others anyway, dont you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
horstderadler wrote:
Jack Spirio wrote:

That seems like you all need to learn more about the game

That is possible. We will play 3p or 4p in two weeks again :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmi T.
Germany
Brandenburg
flag msg tools
Lass mich!
badge
Geh weg!
mbmbmbmbmb
horstderadler wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Egel
Germany
Solingen
Deutschland
flag msg tools
Stannis the King wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Dies ist ein ganz normaler Ortsname für eine mittelalterliche Stadt. Ich bin auch kein Freund davon Namen zu übersetzen, aber an der Übersetzung selbst ist nichts ungewöhnliches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yonek wrote:
Stannis the King wrote:
horstderadler wrote:

Dies ist ein ganz normaler Ortsname für eine mittelalterliche Stadt. Ich bin auch kein Freund davon Namen zu übersetzen, aber an der Übersetzung selbst ist nichts ungewöhnliches.

John Schnee ist defintiv besser als Snow
Es ist ja kein Eigenname sondern das was es dort am meisten gibt Schnee und deshalb werden Bastarde nunmal danach benannt
wie hat es mich bei Blight gestört, dass die ständig von einem Wand geredet haben wow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back to topic!

The last 4p-game was 140 - 125 - 95 - 85. But we still played with the wrong rules. Now, we know them better.
With the correct rules, it should be possible for me to beat the Automa, now.

Yesterday night, my lovely wife gave me the honour to play (according to BGG) one of the most complex boardgames of the world in a one-on-one on a Sunday night.
We ended up on a even score

Great game, great evening. Life can be very good kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, life is good.

I beat the Automa on easy (-1 card) and on normal (128 to 88) with the standard setup (HaHa vs. Taklons). Let's move forward to random factions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.