Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Fuller
United Kingdom
Gloucester
this is the UK - we dont have States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible to see what the best sellers board games are? It would be great to see what Games are selling and how many of them, say on a monthly basis. Does anyone know where you can find out this type of information?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Lin
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually on the sellers website, such information can be found. How much of this is true/updated is anyone's guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Best sellers? That's easy to acertain in the US. Just walk down the games aisle at Toys 'R' Us. If it's there, it's a large seller. Unforunately those aisles exclude at least 99% of the games listed on this site.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funagain.com does have a good best seller section. They are a major player out there so they are a good indication of what is selling in this market of ours.

Here's a link:
http://www.funagain.com/control/bestsellerlist

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
While Funagain does have such a list, it is dominated by exclusive items and items in their impulse-buy-deal section and is not a good indication of what's selling outside of Funagain.

For a better indication of what geeks are buying, try the best-seller list on thoughthammer.com.

Ciao!

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Crockerdile wrote:
Best sellers? That's easy to acertain in the US. Just walk down the games aisle at Toys 'R' Us. If it's there, it's a large seller. Unforunately those aisles exclude at least 99% of the games listed on this site.

Being there's 30K games on this site, that's kind of expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
Off Topic WARNING!

Nick! I saw your "vegetarian" microbadge and thought it was a VALLEY GAMES microbadge! Very similar to their logo, no?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
DadDude wrote:
Is it possible to see what the best sellers board games are?

No, it isn't.

While some industries have setup elaborate systems to track sales, nothing equivelent exists in this industry.

Some stores will show what is selling at their store, but I always treat those lists with suspision. Such lists are mainly used as a sale device and it would be extremely simple to falsify such a list to encourage sales of slow moving items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Franks
United Kingdom
St Blazey
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who sells games we would only say it is a best seller if it is. To sell a 'dud' non selling game as a 'best seller' would not lead to many repeat sales.

Our three best sellers are Blokus, Ingenious and Carcassonne - but I think the reason for this is that we use these to introduce non gamers into the gaming world.

Cheers
H
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike zebrowski
United States
Unspecified
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Wassail Games wrote:
As someone who sells games we would only say it is a best seller if it is. To sell a 'dud' non selling game as a 'best seller' would not lead to many repeat sales.

I didn't say "dud", I said "slow mover". There are lots of good games out there and not all of them can be in the top 10 bestsellers list. Almost any of the top 200 - 300 games on the 'geek could be included on a store's "best seller" list for a month or two without raising any eyebrows or complaints. It is a subtle form of advertising that is practically impossible to uncover that would net a couple of extra sales for minimal effort and zero expense.

I'm not saying that anyone is currently doing this or has done it. However, it is a possibility, so I treat company provided data as unreliable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
For a better indication of what geeks are buying, try the best-seller list on thoughthammer.com.

Which is kind of a fun game in itself. click on any game and watch the best seller list change! who will be #1 this click?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Guay
Canada
Memramcook
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's funny, I hadn't thought of the Valley Games resemblance. The other one they had was a carrot and a broccoli which looked sort of lame to me so I settled for the stylish “V” instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.