Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually agree that they make a thread hard to follow, but I suggest just removing them and sending a message to the poster.

Yes, you'll get complaints. But as you do anyway, nothing lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
I actually agree that they make a thread hard to follow, but I suggest just removing them and sending a message to the poster.

This sounds more like a suggestion than a complaint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Isn't that what happens now?

Perhaps it isn't consistent, as the notification/PM on moderation/removal doesn't always follow removal. I guess this is a workload thing and the two events must be separate actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Perhaps it isn't consistent, as the notification/PM on moderation/removal doesn't always follow removal. I guess this is a workload thing and the two events must be separate actions.

I think he's advocating for the elimination of the 'bread crumb' so that instead of seeing "This post has been removed by a moderator" the moderated post blips out of existence altogether and the quotes move together.

Pete (doesn't like the post-deleting moderation scheme, but agrees with the OP that if you're going to do it, why not just do it all the way)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

I think he's advocating for the elimination of the 'bread crumb' so that instead of seeing "This post has been removed by a moderator" the moderated post blips out of existence altogether and the quotes move together.

Pete (doesn't like the post-deleting moderation scheme, but agrees with the OP that if you're going to do it, why not just do it all the way)

Won't that just feed the flames of "Phantom moderation" by now having no evidence to judge if a moderator actually deleted a post... one could just claim that a post was removed, even though none was ever posted, nor deleted.

At least under the current scheme, there are chalk outlines.

And you can envision this type of scenario occurring?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Won't that just feed the flames of "Phantom moderation" by now having no evidence to judge if a moderator actually deleted a post... one could just claim that a post was removed, even though none was ever posted, nor deleted.

I don't see the difference really. Going from 99% opacity to 100% opacity is splitting hairs. If you're willing to completely hide the content, why even bother leaving the bread crumb?

Pete (shrugs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

I don't see the difference really. Going from 99% opacity to 100% opacity is splitting hairs. If you're willing to completely hide the content, why even bother leaving the bread crumb?

Pete (shrugs)

But one method provides more fuel for fevered fantasy narratives... which in 2019 is so in fashion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Pete (shrugs)

But one method provides more fuel for fevered fantasy narratives... which in 2019 is so in fashion.
I'd just love to see the conspiracy theorist who would be pleased with the current scheme but would suddenly become outraged if the breadcrumbs disappeared altogether.

Pete (doesn't think that person exists, and you'd just have the same people slightly more outraged)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Pete (shrugs)

I'd just love to see the conspiracy theorist who would be pleased with the current scheme but would suddenly become outraged if the breadcrumbs disappeared altogether.

Pete (doesn't think that person exists, and you'd just have the same people slightly more outraged)

Pete,

I know several that would tee up for this fabricated conspiracy venture. It is the perfect narrative. Nothing to prove it as false, and all the fuel in the world to make it burn.

Pete, you are a bit younger than me, but eventually your faith in humanity will crumble. Like joint pain, you'll get there. When that day arrives, PM me and we will share a scotch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Pete (shrugs)

Pete,

I know several that would tee up for this fabricated conspiracy venture. It is the perfect narrative. Nothing to prove it as false, and all the fuel in the world to make it burn.

Pete, you are a bit younger than me, but eventually your faith in humanity will crumble. Like joint pain, you'll get there. When that day arrives, PM me and we will share a scotch.

I'd recommend a good peaty scotch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Aren't those people already pissed off and complaining about the current moderation?

Pete (snipped the rest for brevity's sake, but promises if that day comes you'll be the first to know)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've participated in communities that remove comments without a trace and also in communities that leave stubs to show where comments had been removed.

Removing comments without a trace was more disruptive to the flow of discussion and lead to more confusion about what had happened in the thread relative to leaving stubs showing where comments had been removed.

Leaving stubs also helps to communicate to new users that threads are actively moderated and helps convey community standards better than completely removing comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
I've participated in communities that remove comments without a trace and also in communities that leave stubs to show where comments had been removed.

Removing comments without a trace was more disruptive to the flow of discussion and lead to more confusion about what had happened in the thread relative to leaving stubs showing where comments had been removed.

Leaving stubs also helps to communicate to new users that threads are actively moderated and helps convey community standards better than completely removing comments.

I didn't think of that. Communication to the occasional users is of value, and I had not considered that.

Pete (just hates seeing pages full of stubs)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Agreed, and I'd even say make the snippets more informative. E.g. make it mandatory that the reason for deletion is listed. Currently most have that, but some just say "Deleted by moderator" without a reason after it.

Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Abiezer Coppe wrote:

Pete (shrugs)

Pete,

I'd recommend a good peaty scotch.

I lean towards the sweeter, like a Dalwhin or Oban. I have plenty of peaty from Islay, but it is for specific moods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Aren't those people already pissed off and complaining about the current moderation?

Pete (snipped the rest for brevity's sake, but promises if that day comes you'll be the first to know)

I do think there would be cross-over, but those that elevate the art form would really run with the provided tools and ruleset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Earl
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Octavian wrote:

I didn't think of that. Communication to the occasional users is of value, and I had not considered that.

And here we see the rare species of American who can change his opinion based on new information. Sadly, this animal seems destined for extinction...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:

I will say a little prayer that the creaky knees/joints and humanity scoring a zero doesn't happen on the same morn for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cheng wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
Octavian wrote:

And here we see the rare species of American who can change his opinion based on new information. Sadly, this animal seems destined for extinction...

Beautiful plumage, but aye', a rarity in 2019.

I'm trying to clone him, but the bugger is hard to net.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?

If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: Stub Tags/Defs/Verbiage

Furthermore, the amount of shortcuts that would have to be mapped out for the myriad of reasons. I'm assuming now, either there are a few mapped or they are being typed on the fly.

When there is a tidal wave, I think that is typically when they go generic... at least that would make sense and what I have observed. Both of those faculties which are always to be questioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
RE: Stub Tags/Defs/Verbiage

Furthermore, the amount of shortcuts that would have to be mapped out for the myriad of reasons. I'm assuming now, either there are a few mapped or they are being typed on the fly.

When there is a tidal wave, I think that is typically when they go generic... at least that would make sense and what I have observed. Both of those faculties which are always to be questioned.

Yes, I was imagining something akin to GeekMod; Can't remove the post unless a checkbox is ticked. Of course there'd need to be a free-form box as an option too (and the abuse of it that was possible in GeekMod isn't an issue in this case)

I don't think it would add too much time/effort, but then again I don't have any experience with it. The idea was to make it more apparent for what reason a post was deleted, though I guess that's really only helpful to those that saw the post while it was still up...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:

Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.

Really can't see any reason why that would ever be appropriate on BGG... not that it ever was, but who would think it would ever be a good idea, apart from someone trying to dynamite the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.