Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
57 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Complaint Department

Subject: It'd be better just to remove deleted posts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
RE: Stub Tags/Defs/Verbiage

Furthermore, the amount of shortcuts that would have to be mapped out for the myriad of reasons. I'm assuming now, either there are a few mapped or they are being typed on the fly.

When there is a tidal wave, I think that is typically when they go generic... at least that would make sense and what I have observed. Both of those faculties which are always to be questioned.

Yes, I was imagining something akin to GeekMod; Can't remove the post unless a checkbox is ticked. Of course there'd need to be a free-form box as an option too (and the abuse of it that was possible in GeekMod isn't an issue in this case)

I don't think it would add too much time/effort, but then again I don't have any experience with it. The idea was to make it more apparent for what reason a post was deleted, though I guess that's really only helpful to those that saw the post while it was still up...


Maybe a number with a glossary lookup, but the link isn't provided, and a search ensues. Gamers love shit like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


It is just a front-facing mask, I assume. So the data is still there and visible to accounts with that right.

Maybe I'm wrong.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


It is just a front-facing mask, I assume. So the data is still there and visible to accounts with that right.

Maybe I'm wrong.


But even if that were the case, why would Google's search bot be using an account with that right?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Removed posts with stubs haven't been deleted. I can access what they say and reinstate them if appropriate.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


If you do a search for an existing user whose post has been removed (and if you include a keyword from that thread or removed post), you can still read their removed comment.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
This film's crap, let's slash the seats
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.


But my nude photos are art.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


If you do a search for an existing user whose post has been removed (and if you include a keyword from that thread or removed post), you can still read their removed comment.

I thought that was because of Google caching pages, rather than having anything to do with the way BGG deletes posts? I.e. even if a post is completely deleted like in the thread I linked there is a chance that it will still be available on google until the cached page is updated?
Are you saying that instead any post on BGG that has been removed by a moderator can be accessed via google?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


It is just a front-facing mask, I assume. So the data is still there and visible to accounts with that right.

Maybe I'm wrong.


But even if that were the case, why would Google's search bot be using an account with that right?


Images may be classified/secured differently than verbiage in posts. Images in threads are just references.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
cbazler wrote:
If you do a search for an existing user whose post has been removed (and if you include a keyword from that thread or removed post), you can still read their removed comment.

I thought that was because of Google caching pages, rather than having anything to do with the way BGG deletes posts? I.e. even if a post is completely deleted like in the thread I linked there is a chance that it will still be available on google until the cached page is updated?
Are you saying that instead any post on BGG that has been removed by a moderator can be accessed via google?


I'm not talking about Google, I'm talking about BGG. When Octavian removes a post but leaves the stub visible, the post is not deleted. You can still use BGG's search functionality to read those posts even after they've been hidden. Which is why I imagine with pornographic images or hate speech Octavian has elected to remove the post completely (without a stub) so that such images/search terms will not be registered by internet search engines.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
cbazler wrote:
If you do a search for an existing user whose post has been removed (and if you include a keyword from that thread or removed post), you can still read their removed comment.

I thought that was because of Google caching pages, rather than having anything to do with the way BGG deletes posts? I.e. even if a post is completely deleted like in the thread I linked there is a chance that it will still be available on google until the cached page is updated?
Are you saying that instead any post on BGG that has been removed by a moderator can be accessed via google?


I'm not talking about Google, I'm talking about BGG. When Octavian removes a post but leaves the stub visable, the post is not deleted. You can still use BGG's search functionality to read those posts even after they've been hidden. Which is why I imagine with pornographic images or hate speech Octavian has elected to remove the post completely (without a stub) so that such images/search terms will not be registered by internet search engines.
Huh, interesting, thanks for the info!
I never use the BGG internal search engine so it didn't even occur to me that you could be referring to that...

Now I have a way to satisfy my morbid curiosity of what started it all when I see a desert of removed posts
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
Wait, deleting a post but leaving the stub still hosts the image? I didn't know that, but thinking about it now I guess it must be that way if you want to have the ability to restore posts from those stubs.


It is just a front-facing mask, I assume. So the data is still there and visible to accounts with that right.

Maybe I'm wrong.


But even if that were the case, why would Google's search bot be using an account with that right?


Images may be classified/secured differently than verbiage in posts. Images in threads are just references.



That does not contradict my statement in any way - even if that's the case, why would Google's bot be able to see things that a normal user cannot? In fact, I'll go a step further, since I actually understand things like search crawlers - what you are suggesting is entirely impossible for a search crawler - they cannot see things that a normal user browsing the site can't see. If they keep a post and make it so only admins can view the content of it, Google is not going to be able to see it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
Going from 99% opacity to 100% opacity is splitting hairs.
I disagree about your characterization of the percentages there. Seeing stubs gives you a lot of information actually. Especially if you see just one stub versus a couple pages full of them. You have a pretty good idea that something happened and how widespread it was. Additionally, you get a bit of info about how many posts were offenders and how many were caught in the "Responded to removed post" bystanders. If all of that were gone, I'd have a lot less insight into what had happened and I'd have a lot less information about whether and how the site was being moderated. Seeing stubs gives you a heck of a lot more insight than 1%.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
I would also hazard a guess that a similar thing would result if the moderated person nukes their account, as then all the post would simply vanish.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:


Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?


If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.
So depending on the type of infraction, thanks for the response!


Right - specifically when it comes to images that Google might decide is pornographic. Hosting images Google deems pornographic would threaten the site's search rankings and ability to host Google served ads.
I've been a moderator on a site that suffered that fate. Getting Google to reverse the decision is almost impossible.

Pete (ultimately managed, but it took years)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?

If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.

It was a post which included a picture of a naked human hand squeezing a pink rubber scrotum, over which was superimposed a big red arrow and the words "Jadon's Right Nut," "HAVE YOU SEEN ME," and "PLEASE CONTACT KUHRUSTY WITH ANY INFORMATION - POSSIBLE REWARD."

I cropped it from a larger image which looks like it's a screen capture of a video which has been on YouTube since 2015; Google does not consider the video to be pornography or sexually explicit content.

darthhugo wrote:
Really can't see any reason why that would ever be appropriate on BGG... not that it ever was, but who would think it would ever be a good idea, apart from someone trying to dynamite the place.

As noted in that thread, I uploaded it three years ago for a different forum post.

If I were going to upload a photo of a real scrotum, it would be subtle enough that 31 users would currently have it displayed in their profiles.
18 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
Octavian wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
Also, it seems that under some circumstances posts are currently deleted without leaving the stub at all, e.g. this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2181425/friendly-psa had a post that now doesn't exist at all anymore (note the references to a non existing picture)
Is that depending on the type of infraction or just a one-off goof by whomever deleted that particular post?

If I recall correctly, this was an atypical situation involving an image containing graphic nudity.

It was a post which included a picture of a naked human hand squeezing a pink rubber scrotum, over which was superimposed a big red arrow and the words "Jadon's Right Nut," "HAVE YOU SEEN ME," and "PLEASE CONTACT KUHRUSTY WITH ANY INFORMATION - POSSIBLE REWARD."

I cropped it from a larger image which looks like it's a screen capture of a video which has been on YouTube since 2015; Google does not consider the video to be pornography or sexually explicit content.

darthhugo wrote:
Really can't see any reason why that would ever be appropriate on BGG... not that it ever was, but who would think it would ever be a good idea, apart from someone trying to dynamite the place.

As noted in that thread, I uploaded it three years ago for a different forum post.

If I were going to upload a photo of a real scrotum, it would be subtle enough that 31 users would currently have it displayed in their profiles.


Prop scrotums are always acceptable.

They are a nice substitute for a corsage on Mother's Day or Prom.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kuhrusty wrote:
I cropped it from a larger image which looks like it's a screen capture of a video which has been on YouTube since 2015; Google does not consider the video to be pornography or sexually explicit content.

The image comments also had a note for Octavian; I guess the admin who deleted it is, uhh, not really a reader.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
True - I'm not a reader.

I should update the Community Rules to include no-prop-scrotums for clarity, I suppose.

9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
I cropped it from a larger image which looks like it's a screen capture of a video which has been on YouTube since 2015; Google does not consider the video to be pornography or sexually explicit content.

The image comments also had a note for Octavian; I guess the admin who deleted it is, uhh, not really a reader.


Maybe it looked like a work by Bacon or de Kooning? BGG didn't want a CIN?

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:
True - I'm not a reader.

I should update the Community Rules to include no-prop-scrotums for clarity, I suppose.



Now, that's splitting hairs. Except for Rusty ... 'cause smooth.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cristelli
United States
Milton
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Prop Scrotums would make an excellent band name.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rdonato926 wrote:
The Prop Scrotums would make an excellent band name.


My band once opened up for a band by the name of Metal Scrotum.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Meyer
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
rdonato926 wrote:
The Prop Scrotums would make an excellent band name.


My band once opened up for a band by the name of Metal Scrotum.



I think they broke up and re-formed under the name Codpiece
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Octavian wrote:
True - I'm not a reader.

Come on, man, the note was there because of the last time you deleted one of my images for nudity; you restored it after we talked. (If you don't recall that, that's in my moderation history wiki page, which I encourage you to read again; I believe it may contain an important note from Aldie.)

Octavian wrote:
I should update the Community Rules to include no-prop-scrotums for clarity, I suppose.

Will images of prop breasts being squeezed still be allowed in the game image galleries? What about illustrations of girls being ejaculated on? I don't agree that a fake scrotum in a clearly non-sexual context is worse than stuff which was good enough for GeekMod; if the difference is that I need a game gallery to post it in, then watch for my next design, Terraforming Nuts, coming soon on Kickstarter.
11 
 Thumb up
6.26
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.