J P
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hi everyone, I received an email (please see below) asking if I’d like to pay more for shipping due to an error on Backerkit. Did anyone else receive this email? It seems weird, and I don’t think it’s totally clear either.

Quote:
Hello fellow Unbroken Backer!

Andy here at Golden Bell Studios! I write you with some excellent news and an apology. Usually we here at GB start off with the bad news but I just can't contain myself, Unbroken is nearly ready to ship as you may have seen in the latest KS update!

The not so good news? There was a mistake in BackerKit. The Backerkit Pricing for Unbroken was supposed to be billed at $39.95 (a discount from the $44.95 MSRP) and the Shipping Rates were supposed to be $11.95 for U.S. and $29.95 for International. After speaking with BackerKit it seems there were errors that only affected some of our amazing supporters.

In light of this we have a conundrum as we are shipping the games entirely at a loss currently which just isn't affordable, especially if we all want to see sequels and expansions to Unbroken! Due to this and knowing that all our backers have been so supportive of the #1 Backed Solo Game of all Time on KS, we have an offer. You are getting this email because you were in the $24.95 camp that only paid roughly $4.95 in shipping, and the incorrect amount for the actual game itself. For U.S. Backers there was a shortage of roughly $20 (as the tax was also not included for some reason) and for International Backers there was a shortage of roughly $35.

However we want to offer you this. With the numbers in front of you, we want you to decide what you feel is fair. We are telling you that our break even point is what it is, and we are not making ANY money on shipping (and are NOT including any handling), let alone the game itself. You can decide what you would like to pay, we of course would appreciate the entire amount that has been incurred but can understand that you may not want to or have the funds, so the choice will ultimately be up to you as a supporter.

Think about it and then just PayPal Marc@GoldenBellStudios.com with whatever you decide you feel is right and fair to you. In good faith offering, any full payments will receive advanced access or tracking, as well as digital print and plays to several of our games free of charge if you haven't gotten any of those already. We once again appreciate your support and hope that you understand how we can SURVIVE!

Remain Unbroken,
Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Si
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to their website (GB) Marc can be reached using Marc@goldenbell.tv not @.com

A shortfall of $35 for international shipping, Hmm that sounds fishy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact Artem if Marc doesn't answer.

Through KS form preferably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Safarov
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Check out Unbroken: solo game of survival and revenge.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To summarize - through an error on our end the BackerKit copies were under-charged for. The pay-what-you-can top-ups to correct it are appreciated but entirely optional for late backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparantly this is for late pledgers and not for regular backers that were in when the KS campaign ended.(per comments by developer on the KS page).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Moorthamer
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
$30 for international shipping seems a bit too much I'd say.
But to answer your question: I'm a backer and I haven't received that email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Mann
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure but I think that is legit, but only applies to late backers. Check the comments on the kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The fact that Artem wrote in this thread definitely makes this legit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got that email too.

Had paid $35 total for international copy. Looks like it should have been $40 + $30 shipping = $70?!

Have offered to accept a full refund - unbroken was one of a few solo games I speculatively backed; don’t want to cause financial issues picking it up, but equally not likely something I would have picked up at even $10 more than what I paid, let alone double!

Hope things work out for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mengui
Uruguay
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BalsaWood wrote:
Not sure but I think that is legit, but only applies to late backers. Check the comments on the kickstarter.

It is legit. Artem Safarov, the creator, just posted here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Davis
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That is a rough error. I don't blame the company for asking for donations to cover the difference but. . . phrasing it as an "offer" is super weird and a little off-putting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Iavicoli
United States
California
flag msg tools
Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia Awareness. Supporting the bleeding disorder community since 2012.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if they are going to appeal for additional funds they should also make sure the email lists the actual price we paid as they are shorting what I paid 10 months ago by $5. I simply cannot justify anymore money for this game considering the $3 I spent to improve the packaging takes my total to $38 already. I offered to accept a refund as I know how damaging this can be but have yet to hear from Golden Bell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Carli
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Quote:
Thanks for such a nice email. You’ll be getting the game regardless, please read it again it said it was optional. If you’re cool with paying the incorrect amount and we’re giving you a free game in happy to give it to you.

Best,
Marc Goldner

Founder & C.E.O.

www.GoldenBellStudios.com

Apparently golden bell seems to think that a game that I paid for I'm somehow getting for free, even though I paid them what they charged me for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Iavicoli
United States
California
flag msg tools
Glanzmann's Thrombasthenia Awareness. Supporting the bleeding disorder community since 2012.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
talonnolan wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for such a nice email. You’ll be getting the game regardless, please read it again it said it was optional. If you’re cool with paying the incorrect amount and we’re giving you a free game in happy to give it to you.

Best,
Marc Goldner

Founder & C.E.O.

Apparently golden bell seems to think that a game that I paid for I'm somehow getting for free, even though I paid them what they charged me for it.

Whoa. That's a bad look right there. I would be interested to see what your email read to elicit such a response but it really doesn't matter in the end. Letting emotions get the better of you is seldom a good avenue when handling PR for a company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Iavicoli
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The $20 option was created for administrative purposes of processing a specific kind of orders that were placed through another system and was not meant to be included in the list of available pledges.

Your best bet to get the game is the $24.95 option - it includes the $5 discount and contains all the materials that the game will come with.

Apologies for any confusion and thanks for your interest in Unbroken.

See now I’m confused. This is straight from Artem the developer of the game in a thread from 7 months ago. That “backerkit mistake” pricing was actually intentionally made by the company. I was curious why I had paid more and now I see why. I’m gonna be honest here. Painting this as a Backerkit mistake when you have a trail of comments that specifically state you set these prices is REALLY shady.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J de K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am not a late backer, but I understand why you are confused. I checked the golden bell website and there still exist pages that say that a late pledge costs 25 dollars. And in their webshop you can currently buy unbroken for 35. So, I have the feeling this was not only a human error in backerkit. I assume there is a good explanation for this, because the Unbroken kickstarter campaign is quite professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why aren't the backers of the original KS campaign not affected by this exactly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Deligne
France
Poitiers
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This answer from CEO is totally unbelievable. I would have been really angry if I would have received it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
Rakor wrote:
That is a rough error. I don't blame the company for asking for donations to cover the difference but. . . phrasing it as an "offer" is super weird and a little off-putting.

I want to make everyone in this thread an offer. You can give me $20 if you want to.

It's a pretty good offer. Think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoopder
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
I'll always pick the archer
badge
I had and have a wholly unsatisfied desire to shoot well with a bow. -J.R.R. Tolkien
mbmbmbmbmb
kakuuuu wrote:
Why aren't the backers of the original KS campaign not affected by this exactly?

The price change/shipping cost issue is only relevant to the late pledges through BackerKit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbethany wrote:
kakuuuu wrote:

The price change/shipping cost issue is only relevant to the late pledges through BackerKit.

Why is that? Why are the shipping costs different between late pledgers and backers of the campaign?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Deligne
France
Poitiers
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I assumme that subsidized shipping was limited to the campaign and then some discount happened with Late Pledge but not like if you pledged during the campaign. This is not really the shocking part here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Newton
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't Backerkit not getting their percentage of the money that was missed by the "mistake"?
Paying directly through paypal and Backerkit not getting their contribution this seems a bit off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gugudwarf wrote:
I assumme that subsidized shipping was limited to the campaign and then some discount happened with Late Pledge but not like if you pledged during the campaign. This is not really the shocking part here.

Of course not, but since I can't find anywhere that the shipping cost given during the KS campaign were reduced for primo backers, I was surprised to not receive an email myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stonemark
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
talonnolan wrote:
Quote:

Best,
Marc Goldner

Founder & C.E.O.

I am not a late backer, but my response to Golden Bell would be that while in their self interest, they consider it to be giving a game for free, that I STILL PAID FOR IT, thus mot making it FREE to ME!

Nothing is ever truly FREE of cost in life or anything else. Somebody, somewhere pays for it.

The fact that they wind up "giving a game for free" due to their mistake(s) is on them, not us.

It should be a lesson learned by them, not made a lesson to be learned by the people(late pledgers) who did not make the mistake.

As I said, I am not a late backer, I am a KS participant, but to be honest, this situation is very off-putting and makes me question my participation in the first place.

Unfortunately this is a bad look and has diminished my enthusiasm for this game, even though it does not effect me directly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [28] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.