Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Designer of Tournament Fishing
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Anglers!

This May, I'll be hosting the very first Tournament Fishing Tournament (say that 3 times fast!) where anyone with access to the game may participate in a friendly competition of Angling skill and determination!

This thread will serve as the sounding board for what will eventually be a Geeklist where the full rules will be found along with a place to add your entries to the list.

So here are my initial ideas for the event:

1.) Core game only (no expansions for this first one) - I want to start off simple.

2.) 3 Solo games played in succession in order to enter, simulating a 3 day Tournament.

3.) During each game, the AI is not scored, only your final score is recorded. However you still remove and catch for the AI as normal.

4.) Each day must include the full set of fish you caught, not just the total. i.e. "Day 1: 9,5,3,3,1 - 21 Total"

5.) Only the top 5 Fish in your Livewell are counted for each day. This is an official scoring variant and is also the way in which a lot of real fishing tournaments function.

6.) You may only include one entry on the geeklist (but obviously you can run practice tournaments to get better, and record the best 3-run spree that you had).

7.) Pictures of your final lake state (weigh in) for each day grant 5 points on your score. For example, if you scored 34 and provided a picture, it would count as 39. You can do this for each day.

8.) The winner will receive their choice of: TF: Playmat, TF: Deck Box with dividers, or TF: Locations + TF: Weather.

9.) Set up: To make it more about skill and less about luck factor, Remove all events from the Lake Deck (the first 4 Lake spots will have 7 cards and the the last spot will have 6 after doing so) and all 3 Pop cards from the Fight Deck.

10.) You must use the full memory rules in order to participate (i.e. you may not use the No Memory variant). Also no other variants (or house rules) may be used except the ones stated in the rules.

I am welcome to any other thoughts and ideas that you may have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Robinson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
“10). Must use full memory rules.”

#Home Alone kid meme
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiji Kobayashi
Japan
flag msg tools
tyk567 wrote:
5.) Only the top 5 Fish in your Livewell are counted for each day. This is an official scoring variant and is also the way in which a lot of real fishing tournaments function.

Does this mean the top 5 scoring fish, or the 5 cards on top of the stack? I'm fairly sure it's the former, but my inner pedant insisted I ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Top 5 highest point fish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United States
flag msg tools
Dino DNA!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is awesome Greg!

For #6: "You may only include one entry on the geeklist (but obviously you can run practice tournaments to get better, and record the best 3-run spree that you had)."

So, in other words play until we get 3 decent hauls in a row and report those, right?

That's still not going to be easy for me! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Andy!

Yeah, the main thing is that it has to be 3 games in a row, but you could play as many as you want and then record the best 3 that were back to back from one another.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Am I the only one who will have an "issue" with #10?

I play the "no memory" variant as if that's the way the game is supposed to be played! Am looking forward to the tournament, but am asking for a handicap system for those of us with crappy memories!

(Just joking).

Not really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Mahler
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

Am I the only one who will have an "issue" with #10?

I play the "no memory" variant as if that's the way the game is supposed to be played! Am looking forward to the tournament, but am asking for a handicap system for those of us with crappy memories!

(Just joking).

Not really.

Perhaps this will be countered by #9? Without having any snags and pops to worry about, and also not trying to beat the AI (just your score), hopefully the memory component won't be as bad. Plus you always have ways around it like the multiple color lures and just casting out there to see test your luck.

With that said, if more people will participate if the no memory is used, we will surely add it in the rules!

Oh and I am going to participate too, except with the handicap that I play the hardest rules, leaving all the bad stuff in there (and with the memory element, which is my favorite part).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.