Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Foy
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A male transsexual student posts a picture of himself using the Men's room.

A group of boys decide to 'protest' by taking a picture in the girls room.

A girl knees one of the boys as they try to enter the girls room.

The boys retreat.

The girl is expelled.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/04/15/boys-storme...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lola Granola
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What bullshit. Sounds like self defense to me, how would she know he wasn't one of those bathroom predators we're supposed to be worried about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wish my fellow cis-men would stop being the reason we can't have nice things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I smell an easy lawsuit by the girl's parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh, from the title, I thought this was going to be a thread about crime in multy-storey car-parks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
I smell an easy lawsuit by the girl's parents.

I believe that scent is actually called "Large Cash Settlement No. 5"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LolaGranola wrote:
What bullshit. Sounds like self defense to me, how would she know he wasn't one of those bathroom predators we're supposed to be worried about.

He had a peach frozen to his shoulder?

(Probably to cover up the chip...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
North Pole, Alaska! That’s koldfoot’s stomping grounds. Wonder what he and the locals had to say about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
I am kind of surprised that everyone thinks the girl was in the right here.

The boys should not have stormed into the girls' room. That was inappropriate (and they were punished for it). But if all they did was walk in to "protest," but were not being threatening, or taking pictures of the girls or anything like that, then how is it okay for a girl to initiate a physical assault? From reading the article, it's implied that she just kneed the first guy who came through the door. How is that okay? Of course she got suspended/expelled for assaulting another student.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
I am kind of surprised that everyone thinks the girl was in the right here.

The boys should not have stormed into the girls' room. That was inappropriate (and they were punished for it). But if all they did was walk in to "protest," but were not being threatening, or taking pictures of the girls or anything like that, then how is it okay for a girl to initiate a physical assault? From reading the article, it's implied that she just kneed the first guy who came through the door. How is that okay? Of course she got suspended/expelled for assaulting another student.

A gang of guys rushing into a bathroom - she might have felt threatened. Could have been a knee-jerk response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm going to go ahead and put bathroom photographers in the same punchable category as neo-nazis. It's technically illegal, but totally justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
A gang of guys rushing into a bathroom - she might have felt threatened. Could have been a knee-jerk response.

Maybe. I guess the specifics matter. But I'm a little skeptical of the "self-defense" claim, and I can't help thinking there is a bit of that old trope, where it's funny/justified when a woman kicks a guy in the balls (because he's a jerk, because he's rude, because he said something sexist, because she caught him cheating, etc.) but it wouldn't be okay if it was reversed.

Clearly, they shouldn't have been in there and I am glad they were disciplined too. I just don't understand why people think it's unjust that she was also disciplined for physically assaulting someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Jester
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
Seven boys charged/tried to charge into a room where girls are routinely in a vulnerable position and often in a state of partial undress.

Without knowing more than that, the majority of scenarios I can construct have the girl damned well justified in feeling threatened.

Hell, the boys' stated intent was to take pictures of themselves in the girls' bathroom. Did they have their phones out when they tried to push their way in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

Maybe. I guess the specifics matter. But I'm a little skeptical of the "self-defense" claim, and I can't help thinking there is a bit of that old trope, where it's funny/justified when a woman kicks a guy in the balls (because he's a jerk, because he's rude, because he said something sexist, because she caught him cheating, etc.) but it wouldn't be okay if it was reversed.

Clearly, they shouldn't have been in there and I am glad they were disciplined too. I just don't understand why people think it's unjust that she was also disciplined for physically assaulting someone.

This is America, a group of trained officers can be in 'justified' fear of their lives from a sleeping man, but a girl faced by a group of boys piling into the bathroom door is supposed to play it cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's something most folks would (hopefully)not be aware of. A proper knee to the groin isn't some first-wave preemptove assault. To actually achieve anything many levels of personal space have to already have been breached and the knee-er needs to have fairly solid footing. Even then it's hit and miss.

That's why 'knee to the groun' is in comedy sketches and not really ever in self-defense classes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadrach wrote:
Here's something most folks would (hopefully)not be aware of. A proper knee to the groin isn't some first-wave preemptove assault. To actually achieve anything many levels of personal space have to already have been breached and the knee-er needs to have fairly solid footing. Even then it's hit and miss.

That's why 'knee to the groun' is in comedy sketches and not really ever in self-defense classes.

Yeah, I know that. Which is why I think the specifics matter. In the article, she claimed she was being "blocked" - may or may not be true. If they were pointing cameras at girls, that changes the situation somewhat. If they were physically getting into her space, that changes the situation a lot.

But my knee-jerk (sorry) reaction was to the knee-jerk reaction a lot of people seem to be having, which is that it's totally cool to knee a guy for being obnoxious because OMG how dare they be in there? And yeah, they should not be in there, but kneeing someone in the groin is not trivial either. It's a level of escalation well above a shove or even a slap. So I think the "self defense" justification needs to be more substantial than "She was outraged that boys were entering the girls' bathroom."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elias Någonsson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

A group of people who don't belong there storm into your bathroom, you're absolutely right to feel threatened. If this was girls storming into the boys bathroom and a boy there felt threatened and did the same thing, I'd say the same thing.

However, *in addition to that*, if I'm to speculate a bit given what we know of the boys (that they're transphobic asshats who would storm into the girl's bathroom unannounced), I think there's a high likelihood they weren't exactly known as being respectful to women, and the girl might very well be familiar with them. Add in that (if US stats somewhat resemble Swedish stats) bathrooms the most common place in a school for rapists to assault their victims, and you have another layer of reason for her to be afraid.

And, lastly, add in the comment by the school that (paraphrasing as I can't access the article anymore) "violence isn't an acceptable means to security" and it seems clear that her act was defensive; she was expelled for defending herself even by the schools admission, if one is to take that quote into account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just still trying to get over the taking-a-picture-of-himself-in-a-bathroom portion of things. It doesn't justify the overreaction of the gang of invaders, but I really hope we don't get some #SeeHowIPee movement. But society today...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
sajberhippien wrote:
A group of people who don't belong there storm into your bathroom, you're absolutely right to feel threatened. If this was girls storming into the boys bathroom and a boy there felt threatened and did the same thing, I'd say the same thing.

I wouldn't. I'd say he'd better justify feeling "threatened" beyond "They shouldn't have been in there."

Quote:
However, *in addition to that*, if I'm to speculate a bit given what we know of the boys (that they're transphobic asshats who would storm into the girl's bathroom unannounced), I think there's a high likelihood they weren't exactly known as being respectful to women, and the girl might very well be familiar with them.

Well, that's a lot of speculation. They were being assholes because they didn't like a transguy taking pictures in the mens' room. Their reaction was inappropriate. Going straight to "Therefore they're all terrible people who very likely might have been rapists" is quite a leap.

Quote:
And, lastly, add in the comment by the school that (paraphrasing as I can't access the article anymore) "violence isn't an acceptable means to security" and it seems clear that her act was defensive; she was expelled for defending herself even by the schools admission, if one is to take that quote into account.

I don't see how that quote establishes that she was actually defending herself against threat of violence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:

Quote:
However, *in addition to that*, if I'm to speculate a bit given what we know of the boys (that they're transphobic asshats who would storm into the girl's bathroom unannounced), I think there's a high likelihood they weren't exactly known as being respectful to women, and the girl might very well be familiar with them.

Well, that's a lot of speculation. They were being assholes because they didn't like a transguy taking pictures in the mens' room. Their reaction was inappropriate. Going straight to "Therefore they're all terrible people who very likely might have been rapists" is quite a leap.

Unless there was some lengthy and public campaign about what was going to happen*, the girls in the bathroom at the time would have had no idea or understanding that they were there to protest something entirely unrelated to them. They would have just seen a gang of guys helping themselves into their bathroom. They would have had no context to this except for that.

* Even if there had been, that doesn't justify what they chose to do. I've said it in other instances, so I'll be consistent and say it here... find a better way to protest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
I'm just still trying to get over the taking-a-picture-of-himself-in-a-bathroom portion of things. It doesn't justify the overreaction of the gang of invaders, but I really hope we don't get some #SeeHowIPee movement. But society today...

For the transmale it makes sense because it is a milestone. Also bathroom selfies are a thing because bathrooms normally have bright/good lighting. For the dudes it was ignorant bullshittery since they were trying to draw a parallel between cis/trans actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Professional Agitation Consultant... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
mbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
sajberhippien wrote:

I wouldn't. I'd say he'd better justify feeling "threatened" beyond "They shouldn't have been in there."

Quote:

Quote:

I don't see how that quote establishes that she was actually defending herself against threat of violence.

Depends on the law, in some parts of the world - you can claim self defense if you merely feel threatened.

of course then it's up to a jury to decide if they then find that claim reasonable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
wifwendell wrote:

There isn't irony in the fact that the bathroom warriors are all about protecting women in the bathroom so to protest a transgender student they rush a women's bathroom to take pictures?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Boardgame Aesthete
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
There isn't irony in the fact that the bathroom warriors are all about protecting women in the bathroom so to protest a transgender student they rush a women's bathroom to take pictures?

I don't think "protecting women in the bathroom" was their motive. They were assholes and they should be punished. But so does someone who throws punches (or knees).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
AmadanNaBriona wrote:
dkearns wrote:

I don't think "protecting women in the bathroom" was their motive. They were assholes and they should be punished. But so does someone who throws punches (or knees).

I thought protecting women was the whole narrative for bathroom regulations against transgendered people in general.

Women can protect themselves. Again this is probably a case where she would have gotten in less trouble if she just shot one of them in self-defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.