BattleCON: Devastation of Indines» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game fairly easy to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Kees
United States
California
flag msg tools
Stumbled onto this game while reading about Flash Duel.
Flash Duel looks easy, fun, solo-able, light. But perhaps too light? So anyways, if BattleCon is a good, fairly easy to learn game, next question is, WHICH BattleCon game would be a place to start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kees
United States
California
flag msg tools
Ok so far, Devistation is the only Battlecon game I’ve read about that has a SOLO mode. Exactly what I’m looking for BUT what do you all think? Are there other solo-able Battlecon games? It looks complicated but I know looks can be deceiving.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Wong
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules-wise, Battlecon is easy to learn. However it is quite hard to master even a single character, and in order to play well you need to remember the moves of your opponent's as well as your character.
If you want something more approachable, I will suggest EXCEED Fighting System, and the best among them would be from the seventh cross e.g. EXCEED: Seventh Cross – Guardians vs. Myths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan C
United Kingdom
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flash Duel is light in terms of rules, but it has a surprising amount of depth.

BattleCon is easy to learn, hard to master. Learning just 1 character and playing them well will take you many games.

I wouldn't recommend buying Devastation just for the solo mode. Nothing wrong with it, it is a nice addition, but not something I would buy the game for.

I would also recommend taking a look at Exceed. Slightly easier and faster to jump into than BC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Poitier
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BattleCON is akin to chess: you know all your possible moves, you know all of the opponent's moves, it's a matter of strategy and outthinking/outmaneuvering/outsmarting your opponent.

Exceed is akin to poker: you know your options, and you have an idea of the opponent's options, but you're gambling on having a better hand than your opponent most of the time.

Both are great, both feel different, both are easy to start playing but will take dedication to truly master (kind of like fighting games in the video game world )

Everyone can pick Ryu and throw Hadoukens, but practice will make you able to know when to throw that Hadouken and when to bait.

For BattleCON, 2 possibilities:
- BattleCON Online is an official free-to-play version of the game on Steam, but it is faster paced (you have like 1 minute each round to decide your attack pair). Can be overwhelming if you don't know the mechanics and flow of a round already, but you can play for free and see if you like the mechanics without an upfront investment.
- BattleCON War of Indines is my preferred entry point if you want to buy the boardgame version. It doesn't have all the extra modes and stuff of Devastation, but it was the first set for the game and it tends to have a smaller (but as diverse) spread of archetypes/characters. You can always buy the other sets afterwards (though no need to buy Light&Shadow, Strikers or Armory unless you REALLY love the game and NEED customization options).

For Exceed, definitely go for either the Seventh Cross set or the Street Fighter set. Red Horizon is not bad, but Seventh Cross and Street Fighter add new mechanics specific to their set that add interesting options (Red Horizon feels like just base Exceed). Note that all sets are compatible with each other though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Queen Creek
Arizona
flag msg tools
Magnus summed it up well, I've only messed around with Exceed a little but it's a bit more approachable. Definitely the game to go for if you don't like the idea of relatively perfect info brain burner, as opposed to games with potential for things to swing on a lucky draw.

But I wouldn't go for either as just a solo option, just like I wouldn't recommend most fighting games to someone as a single-player video game. There are lots of games significantly better as solitaire, where you don't lose 90% of the meta.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.