Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Crowley
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Received my "much-anticipated" Deluxe Collector's Edition of Mountaineers on Saturday (two days earlier than the FedEx tracking estimate said it would take).

Broke it out of the box, punched it, opened the card packs, etc. I agree with other reviews that the cardboard carabiners need careful handling as several split during the un-punching process. My mountain boards were bowed/warped and required bending back in shape. This seemed to fix the problem.

The mountain sides do not sit deeply in the rotating base. Certainly not deep enough for my taste. During our first game play I noticed that if you pressed the wooden pitons into the holes firmly the mountain became dislodged from its base. If you put them in there lightly to avoid this, then when the mountain was rotated in its base, or god-forbid bumped, the pitons would fall out. I had to carefully readjust the mountain several times during our 3-player, 90-minute session and re-seat it back in the rotating base. We played with a 3-sided mountain; I have not tried it with a 4-sided mountain to see if it is more stable.

There is a downloadable guided play-through packet you can get from the manufacturer's website. However, it tells you the game is packaged to run you through this tutorial. So you only open certain packs of cards, use certain characters, etc. Unfortunately, nothing in the box or rule book (that I saw) informs you of this. So by the time I found this I had already opened the card packs and sorted everything. It seems this could have been a paragraph in the book, or a sticker on the outside of the box if it was an after thought.

Our first game went well. My wife and I enjoyed it enough and my step-son thought it was okay. I felt like I was missing something. I think the game could be served well by a "how its played" video produced by a THIRD PARTY. The reason I say this is the rule book gives a feel to me like it was written by someone who really knows the rules, but isn't explaining all of them because they know them so well. Does that make sense?

I also feel like future print runs of the game, or editions, should have a detailed example of play. Say 2-4 turns. I think that would really help with the understanding.

The game is beautiful. I love the concept. We had a good time. I just need more plays, and some questions answered to determine if I love it.

Some suggestions for those thinking about creating aftermarket accessories:

1. Laser Cut Component trays. The cardboard ones are functional, but will require gluing. I would almost prefer a plastic "binz" holder for the components and a separate card holder than the combo.

2. A pegboard style piton holder so you can sort your pitons in order number side up without digging through the tray when you need a specific one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey L.
United States
Western Burbs of Beantown
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just arrived. I’ll open it up later and post my thoughts on components. I won’t have a chance to play it until the weekend at the earliest. I love the looks of the game and the theme is right up my alley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Koester
United States
Troutdale
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy just arrived as well, and as I unpack it, I concur with the observations on components. This is one of the few times that I was thinking about how I was going to 3D print fixes before even playing the game.

The first thing I did was print a base and spindle for the game and mountain board to site on so I did not have to use the spinner that shipped with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Gunslinger Six wrote:
...the rule book gives a feel to me like it was written by someone who really knows the rules, but isn't explaining all of them because they know them so well. Does that make sense?

Yes, it DOES make sense! I haven't read the Mountaineers rulebook yet, so I'm only responding to the excerpt I quoted above. But I come to that same exact conclusion whenever I read a rulebook for one of Dan Versan's games (published by DVG). Awesome games, but the rulebooks are full of holes, as if the writer knows the rules so well, that he doesn't realize what's being omitted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

apthebold wrote:
The first thing I did was print a base and spindle for the game and mountain board to site on so I did not have to use the spinner that shipped with the game.

Any chance of sharing that stl file?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Koester
United States
Troutdale
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bgm1961 wrote:

apthebold wrote:

Any chance of sharing that stl file?

Absolutely. Stay tuned here and I will post a thingiverse link to what I come up with.

I would send it now, but it is still VERY rough and I am cleaning things up a bit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Awesome. Thx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Wright
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
THanks for the feedback Patrick! We wil definitely take these things into account as we work out bugs from this first version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.