Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to decide which units will sustain damage before any Direct Hits are played? Or can you sustain damage with one unit and wait to see what happens before choosing to sustain with more units? I believe it to be the latter...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play it as sustaining individually with each unit. The rules don't appear to provide any implication to choose all the ships that are sustaining before allowing play of Direct Hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey H
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Visit Mount Celeste
badge
You Can Do This!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
I play it as sustaining individually with each unit. The rules don't appear to provide any implication to choose all the ships that are sustaining before allowing play of Direct Hits.

This is how we play it, as well. Each hit gets assigned individually, so Sustain Damage is used to cancel a hit individually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M- M-
msg tools
Hits are produced, sustain damage cancels hits, then hits are assigned. We follow that sustain damage happens as a timing window specifically “[b]efore assigning hits...” per LRR 67.6. Direct hits are then applied immediately after this window, but also before hits are assigned.

We find that this helps to prevent angle-shooting / other unfair information manipulation, as well as arguments about rushing the timings for the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig S.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MXX99 wrote:
Hits are produced, sustain damage cancels hits, then hits are assigned. We follow that sustain damage happens as a timing window specifically “[b]efore assigning hits...” per LRR 67.6. Direct hits are then applied immediately after this window, but also before hits are assigned.

We find that this helps to prevent angle-shooting / other unfair information manipulation, as well as arguments about rushing the timings for the card.

I of course agree that the rules are clear that you cancel hits with Sustain before assigning any remaining hits...but it sounds like you are arguing that all units that will Sustain must be announced before any Direct Hits are played, which I do not agree with. The timing on Direct Hit is "when a unit sustains damage", correct? If all Sustains were meant to happen before any DH's are played, that is piss poor wording, indeed...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
csouth154 wrote:
MXX99 wrote:

I of course agree that the rules are clear that you cancel hits with Sustain before assigning any remaining hits...but it sounds like you are arguing that all units that will Sustain must be announced before any Direct Hits are played, which I do not agree with. The timing on Direct Hit is "when a unit sustains damage", correct? If all Sustains were meant to happen before any DH's are played, that is piss poor wording, indeed...

I agree that the timing is that you play DH right after Sustain Damage is announced for a specific ship. If you wait, you can't go back later and say "Oh, I'll Direct Hit that ship".

For example, I have a War Sun and a Dreadnought. If I use Sustain Damage on the Dreadnought, I can pause to let people decide to use Direct Hit. If people decline, and then I decide NOT to use the War Sun's sustain damage, players cannot go back and say "Oh, well, in that case, I want to Direct Hit the Dreadnought".

That's how I interpret it, at least.

That said, I know sometimes, in the interest of time, a player may just say "I'm using Sustain Damage on ships X, Y, and Z", and if they do, I think that kind of opens the door for other players to play Direct Hit on ANY of those 3 ships (often they'll be 3 of the same ship anyway). In this case, I don't think a player could say "You can't target X and Y, since we are now on Z" - you need to give other players a reasonable chance to react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.