Hide
2 Posts

A House Divided» Forums » Rules

Subject: reinforcement into a fortified city rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
inmado inmado
msg tools
A fortified city (such as Richmond) is attacked. When the defender reinforces the defense from adjacent boxes, will these considered to be entrenched as well, i.e. will these reinforcements also benefit from the -1 defense bonus?

I own a the German copy by Phalanx games which to my understanding uses the 3.1 rules. The above case is not covered in the rules. The rules state that a unit that is moved into a fortified city is automatically entrenched. However, one may formally argue this applies to the movement phase and reinforcing is not moving. You could also say the reinforcement units cannot get into the fortified city, they are instead attacking the attacking on the field. But it doesn't really make sense to reason on this level of detail.

My personal feeling is that reinforcements should not gain the defense bonus of the fortified city. This should be applied to the units that started the battle in the city, only.

Is there an errata that officially clarifies this gap? Or is there a common agreement how to deal with it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hill
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state in 4.2.5 that any piece which moves into one of the fortified cities is automatically entrenched. For simplicity I have always played if any piece moves into one of these spaces either through reinforcement or standard move it is automatically entrenched.

I don't see a problem with playing the way you suggest though as it makes more sense in realistic terms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.