Pulsar 2849» Forums » General

Subject: Strange question, but indulge me... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played this game 3 times in a row on Saturday and it's a great game. Trouble is, I won all 3 times and hubby is getting discouraged. I'm not sure what I'm doing that makes me come out ahead. We both like to do loads of flying to claim the 50 point bonus for 13 planets, if we can. I did notice that he tends to go for points grabs on the transmitter tiles, whereas I might choose just a few that generate every production phase. I also plan ahead so that I'll have cubes to buy more points upon completing a goal. Maybe it's just those little extra bits of attention. I told him the next time we play, I will try to play as he does, grabbing one-off points and spending all my cubes for a red die, and see if it makes a big difference to my score, but I'm afraid if I win anyway, he'll get disgusted and not want to play it anymore!

These may not even be the reason I'm winning, I'm not sure why I come out ahead. We are definitely playing and scoring correctly.

Any tips for him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Kayati
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The name of the game is Pulsar. Have him try building some. Early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Valdez
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a good leading question to ask is, what's the point difference between y'all?

In general, it's definitely all about efficiency and adaptability, especially considering you only have somewhere between 14-20 actions per game. A big determinant on what will be a winning strategy is what tech is out and what end goals are out. Transmitters may not do much good if there aren't tech or goals that support that strategy. As mentioned in several threads, each strategy is viable under the right circumstances. I've personally seen wins from each strategy (gyrodynes, transmitters, flying around, HQ board, tech, combinations) but I find that honing in on one main strategy and having one or two backups when you don't get the dice you need really helps. This is all imo, of course!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The differential is about 20 points per game, but sometimes it's very close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree with Jeff that early Pulsars a huge point generators. If one player is doing this and another is not, it can be hard climb back up. My experience with the game has also been that engineering cubes are generally best saved for end game scoring, but it really depends on what goals are in the game. Three cubes for seven points is hard to beat, but four cubes for five points is something that is can often be matched with a red die purchase.

I think Pulsar has a quality of many other games in that staying focused is the key to good scoring. You typically only want to be pursuing two lines of point scoring and then maximizing the output with careful tech selection. It sounds like you both are doing the flying around thing, which is fine, but what are you doing with your other actions? If you're trying to do a little bit of everything else, then your scoring is going to be a bit random, likely based on whatever "random" bonuses you collect from your flying. But if you have a focused goal, you can start planning your flights around landing on face up systems where the rewards feed your goal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I never even thought about landing on face up systems that feed the goal! I better not start trying that right away or else I will never get to play the game again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Solanum wrote:
Any tips for him?

Introduce full rules and the game change. Headquarter: complete the pyramid and unlock gate run is the real challenge, 5 gates for 5 points each is 20 points produce only by the last gate run.
Or you can use HQ projects when you have spare die. It's up to you.
The game start with the setup, tech boards suggest what is better to do but Gate Run are powerful if well planned
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't really like the HQ boards and consider them like an expansion. We might use them at some point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexei Ivanovitch
Portugal
Coimbra
flag msg tools
In my opinion, if you want to make sure that they get a legit "handicap" and you continue to enjoy the game, I would suggest choosing final objectives/tech tree that don't favor "flying" and that favor transmitters.

This will also force you to maybe pursue a different strategy and learn more about the game.

Hope it helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carla
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
He beat me last night so crisis averted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.