KeyForge: Call of the Archons» Forums » General

Subject: Help Determining How to Play This Deck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Owens
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
New to the game (and this style of game). Have been playing with my son. We've had lots of questions and played at a FLGS the other day. Have gone to a few others that have had KeyForge nights that have been busts.

Some decks I have a feel for what's going on. Have a deck that has Bad Penny and have been reading how to loop it. I read a lot about the cards we have in certain decks and how to accomplish things.

We picked this deck up the other night. It is rated well, but I am not seeing how it should be played. How should I be looking to play these cards? I would gladly appreciate any assistance you can offer.

Thank you.

Baku, Nantbost's Rogue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably need to reap a lot to get enough aember
You have creatures and shadow self, so they live longer, so that should work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a fun deck! Bait and Switch is amazing. And I would stick Charette and Pit Demon near a Shadow Self. That way you can make your opponent do a lot of work to get either of them off the field.

The Logos looks a little week. But you do have Mother, which is great for extra card draw. And the Neutron Shark can really wipe the board most times you use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Mountford
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a quick glance, it looks like a lot of board control ability and stealing.

Also, it's heavy on the archiving. In an ideal world, I would archive Key of Darkness, Magda the Rat, Nerve Blast, and maybe Dodger and Bait and Switch. With all those cards in hand, and maybe playing Effervescent Principle on the previous turn, you should be able to get your opponent down to zero aember on their turn and be able to forge a key for +2. Your math may vary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Kiley
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://decksofkeyforge.com/decks/3a9f7786-ea08-44a9-8f7a-65...

Pretty darn strong deck. FWIW, it's ranked in the top 1% for SAS rating (see the link above).

You have good Aember Control, with Bait & Switch, Effervescent Principle and creatures like Pit Demon and dodger. Use these to stall your opponent and prevent them from forging keys.

Speed Sigil is awesome, but it also benefits your opponent.

Use Shadow Self (you have two of them) to keep your key creatures alive.

Library of damned and babble give you good deck/card cycling.

Last - you have some good neutralizing potential with 2x three fates, hysteria, and snudge.

Pretty solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Penny is a liability in that deck. I would suggest you just discard her unless it's really late in the game and you think she can reap for one extra aember you might need. If you have her in hand with Pawn Sacrifice, play her, sacrifice her to the card, then discard her.

And sometimes it's best to discard Pawn Sacrifice rather than losing one of your creatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Owens
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Appreciate all the comments. Good stuff to get me thinking about things. I appreciate it.

Am interested in any thoughts. Played a game online today but I must be too old for The Crucible as I had a hard time seeing what was going on during the game. I think I am a tactile player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
░░▒▓███ ███▓▒░░
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reading all the comments: Man, you guys look at decks completely differently than me. There are a lot of lines of play in your deck, and I especially like the Library of the Damned + Logos archiving potential. Don't be afraid to set up & use Neutron Shark - it's powerful to remove your opponent's cards by choice. Keep playing your deck! You will learn more each time you use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet Zeshonski
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with pocketroid; there are a LOT of lines in this deck. Just looking at Dis, there are some killer combos, such as "call Dis, use all your Dis creatures, sacrifice previously placed Lifeward, and play Hysteria." If you have Speed Sigil out, this combination can get even crazier. For example:

-Shadow Self, Lifeward, and Speed Sigil on the board
-Ember Imp and Pit Demon flanking Shadow Self
-Call Dis.
-Steal with Pit Demon, reap with Ember Imp, play Hysteria, sacrifice Lifeward, play Pit Demon first, steal with Pit Demon, play Ember Imp.

Hiding Magda behind a Shadow Self is also a great move when you would otherwise end the turn with 4 or 5 aember. You also have a good amount of archiving ability, so you should be able to set aside strong but situational cards for the right moment.

Like pocketroid said: Just keep playing it. You'll see some great combos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Owens
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.