Campaign Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: 3 equal decks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm curious, does it matter much how you divide the deck into 3 "equal" stacks in a 2, 4, or 5-player game since you'll have to divide a deck of cards that's not evenly divisible by 3 (e.g., 80 cards in a 2 or 5-player game and 85 in a 4-player game, assuming you're not playing with the dirty politics cards)?

I realize you draw from the next deck in August and September when the deck empties out until the round is over. And the actual number of rounds in a month might be affected by the number of cards in the stack at the start, by the degree to which players play Politick actions that let them draw extra cards (like Diverse Strategy, Debate Prep, and Campaign Advisor), and whether the Experienced Candidate is in use.

Still, I was wondering how others divide up the deck at the beginning of the game. Do you approximate 3 equal stacks? Do you count the cards and divide by 3 and round down?

While this is a minor point, it seemed odd to me as well that the rulebook doesn't make mention of it. Am I missing something here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cornelius
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is meant to be interpreted as 3 approximately equal decks.

If you want to play around with it, you could make the August deck slightly smaller and the September and October decks the same size. This is due to refreshing your hand after a debate which makes the latter two months have fewer turns than the first month. We experimented (during development) with putting something in the setup section about making the August deck smaller. In the end it was too fiddly and much easier to make the rule "separate into 3 approximately equal decks"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
ondfly123 wrote:

If you want to play around with it, you could make the August deck slightly smaller and the September and October decks the same size. This is due to refreshing your hand after a debate which makes the latter two months have fewer turns than the first month. We experimented (during development) with putting something in the setup section about making the August deck smaller. In the end it was too fiddly and much easier to make the rule "separate into 3 approximately equal decks"

Thank you Jeff. I have to tell you how impressed I am regarding the degree to which you're present here on the forum! It makes a huge difference when trying to understand all the finer points of the rules.

By the way, I'm in the process of putting together a FAQ based on all of the forum posts I've seen. Can I assume you're not already planning that cuz if you were, I'd obviously hold off.
P.S. Jeff, I just saw your most recent post. OMG, I'm so sorry to hear about your concussion! Are you sure you don't want help in organizing the FAQ??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taed Wynnell
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It could be argued that September should be the slightly short one since it has 30 days and the other two 31.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cornelius
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schnel wrote:
Are you sure you don't want help in organizing the FAQ??

I would love some help if you can do it. If you can do the first cut, I can refine and edit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Bigler
United States
Zionsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ondfly123 wrote:

In a recent 6 player game, we didn't have much time so we did not use the Dirty Politics cards AND we also removed the 2 player cards.
Due to refreshing hands after the two debates, we had only about 2 or 3 turns on the last two decks. We all agreed that it would have been better to not remove the 2 player cards - but we did complete the game at exactly our target time.

Later I did think about taking 4 cards from the August deck after the setup and putting 2 each on the later decks. I may give that a try on my next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Schneider
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
ondfly123 wrote:
schnel wrote:
Are you sure you don't want help in organizing the FAQ??

I would love some help if you can do it. If you can do the first cut, I can refine and edit.

I'm starting to collect posts from the forum. Once I have something relatively cleaned up and formatted, I'll message it to you.

Larry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.