Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Thematic charming euro that plays in around an hour rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jared Matthews
msg tools
Looking for something mid weight and around an hour long that feels a good bit different from my other decently meaty games. Need it around that hour mark cuz too many of my favorite games clock in around 2 hours, and I only have a few options for something mid weight in that time frame.

Please check out my collection to get a feel for my tastes. Looking at Village currently but not for sure on that + more options is better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Walnut Grove comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Roberts
United States
Jonesborough (will trade by mail)
TN
flag msg tools
badge
Is Hawaii a good example of this?
I think it might be hard to find.

Or Egizia / Egizia: Shifting Sands?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toms Leikums
Latvia
Jelgava
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted to suggest Viticulture Essential Edition, but OK... That's why checking Collection is needed indeed.
Village is nice, good pick. I'd also look at Legacy: The Testament of Duke de Crecy, if you can find it. Very underrated gem. And Flamme Rouge for a racing game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate T
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Century: Spice Road might match at least some of what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
john greeb
United States
flag msg tools
mb

Cacao: First game that came to my mind
but it is probably a stretch to call it mid-weight. Maybe with its expansion: Cacao: Chocolatl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Road to Canterbury

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Valladolid
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Papua is pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llyranor Ilfarath
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Glass Road can play in about about 45min for 2p, perhaps over an hour for 3-4p. I think it's charming and colorful. Not sure how thematic you could consider it, but I do enjoy the theme of building glass and bricks from other ressources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith
United States
CO
flag msg tools
Istanbul
La Isla
Elysium
Bruges
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 or Season 2

I think that's a great one to add. Each "episode" will come in around that hour mark and it's a solid thematic cooperative experience.

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game
or Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game

Another solid thematic game that comes in well under the 1 hour mark. It's another co-op game though so I'm not sure if you're looking for that style. (Can be played solo as well if that's a factor).

Mysterium

Another thematic game (and again co-op) that fits in the under 1 hour category. This one is on the lighter side but plays up to 7 and I think it's quite different from what you have now.

Galaxy Trucker

Real-time game that plays in an hour and it's pretty thematic... build ships and watch them get destroyed in space.

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle

Another thematic co-op that plays in ~60 minutes. Helps if you like the books/movies but not a definite prerequisite. A bit on the light side but still an entertaining game... and the expansion ups the difficulty level a little more as well.

Baseball Highlights: 2045

Thematic (even though it combines sports and science fiction). Plays in under an hour. It's a fairly simple game so maybe that's a knock if you are looking for something more complex but I think there's enough meat there to still be entertaining and interesting.

Sentinels of the Multiverse

Another thematic co-op (sort of a trend with many of my suggestions). Plays in about an hour and there is some decent strategy there in the gameplay (similar to Marvel Legendary in weight).

Ghost Stories

Meaty thematic co-op that plays in about an hour. Most complain that it's a little on the "too hard" side so there should be a decent amount of challenge there in the gameplay for you.

Captain Sonar

Very thematic... and plays under an hour. Real time game that's team vs team so you pretty much need 6/8 players to get the best experience with the game which is somewhat limiting.

Space Alert

Another thematic game... co-op real-time game that plays in 30 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Ash
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Galaxy Trucker--so much fun! Also has a fantastic iOS implementation.

+1 La Isla--yes on charming! I love multi-use cards and collecting cute animals!

Also consider Oracle of Delphi, very underrated, and surprisingly thematic for a Feld. It's a racing game, where you're a ship captain, and you're trying to be the first to accomplish twelve feats of bravery and devotion to please the gods.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
World's Fair 1893
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Inquiry
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Isle of Skye sounds like it would do well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Black
United Kingdom
Braintree
Essex
flag msg tools
Tigger playing Agricola. He lost!
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower Plays in a little over an hour. Looking at your collection it would seem to fit. Not sure it is Thematically charming. Would also second Walnut Grove and would recommend Rajas of the Ganges and Homesteaders

I think you might find Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King a bit light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wingspan immediately comes to mind. Very thematic and it plays in an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.