Gaia Project» Forums » General

Subject: Is there any background concept what is Gaia and Transdim planets? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
László Szalai
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
Is there any background concept what is Gaia and Transdim planets? There is not so much text about the universe of the game. Do anybody have some idea what these conceptions should means? Gaia may can be "paradise" worlds? Transdim plantes are in a parallel universe?

Or just there isnt backstory.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Baker
msg tools
I like big games and I cannot lie
mbmbmbmbmb
I think games can't get more soulless euro then this game but I can be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis C
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
szalasz87 wrote:
Is there any background concept what is Gaia and Transdim planets? There is not so much text about the universe of the game. Do anybody have some idea what these conceptions should means? Gaia may can be "paradise" worlds? Transdim plantes are in a parallel universe?

Thanks

My headcanon is that Gaia planets are, as you say, paradise worlds. Transdim planets are premature Gaia planets. The Gaia formers speed up the lifetime of the planet until its hospitable. Thus the QIC cubes are a time travel technology that let you habitate the Gaia planet in exactly the right spot in the planets life cycle for your species. That also explains how the QIC cubes can extend your range via FTL (thus time travel) travel through spacetime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
there is (sadly) no real background for the game and its races.
but so far as I have understood, Gaia planets are such that are easily accessible for any race, so that it only need some technology to make it habitable

Tridimensional means that they are in some other dimension, but can be brought in ours with the use of Gaiaformers (you can see this process on the cover of the box). It takes some time, but you they are then transformed into Gaia Planets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
Tridimensional means that they are in some other dimension, but can be brought in ours with the use of Gaiaformers (you can see this process on the cover of the box). It takes some time, but you they are then transformed into Gaia Planets
Amusingly, I don't think the rules actually ever use the phrase "transdimensional", just "transdim".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bach Le
msg tools
None of the races even have background story or world building. What the hell is even a "brainstone"? Why does it give 3 energy? What the hell is even a quantum intelligence cube?

This game is one of my favourites but I hope they could at least pretend to care and hand-wave in some theme.

I just like to believe that those planets are super toxic and unsuitable for any races. So you put the "gaia former" there to suck away all the toxic waste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jackson Potter
msg tools
szalasz87 wrote:

Thanks

Yes, transdim planets exist partially in another dimension and need to be brought into ours before they are able to be colonized. See this response from one of the designers here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/28630468#28630468
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bach Le
msg tools
Quote:
No place in the rules

Just put 1 page for background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
IMO "Transdim" should have been nebulae, and the Gaia Project about condensing a new planetary system out of interstellar gases rather than phasing one in from another dimension.

But that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ErsatzDragon wrote:
IMO "Transdim" should have been nebulae, and the Gaia Project about condensing a new planetary system out of interstellar gases rather than phasing one in from another dimension.

But that's just me.

I do like that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Thesixtdoctor wrote:
I think games can't get more soulless euro then this game but I can be wrong.

I think Gaia Project provides just enough context for some people to make up their own theme. At least in Gaia Project the factions have a certain feel to them. And there's a presence on the board that's definitely 'you'. You could call that soul. I think there are games where the resource conversion is more pointless, and the sense of self is less defined.

But I won't recommend GP for its story arc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K O
msg tools
I see GP mainly as a complex system of interconnected mechanics and I am actually happy that the designers focused on bringing this machine of a game to perfection, instead of wasting time and resources with unecessary fluff.
In think that in a mechanics driven game like GP, in comparison to story driven games, the fluff should be cut down to its bare functionality, namely piggy backing on known concepts to help you understand and memorize the abstract mechanics. In that sense, it seems to me that being sad about the fact that there are no background stories about the factions is like being sad about the fact that there are no background stories to the chess pieces. I also think that it is more honest to decide to have no world building, rather than bullshitting down a bad one on one page.

It also gives you the freedom to create your own stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Morton
msg tools
bullno1 wrote:
None of the races even have background story or world building. What the hell is even a "brainstone"? Why does it give 3 energy? What the hell is even a quantum intelligence cube?

The brainstone is, like, a perfect example of minmalistic storytelling. Just the fact that it's named "the brainstone" and there's only one of it, you get a pretty good idea of how this race probably works. You may not have certainty, and there might be multiple interpretations that fit the same description, but at the least it seems safe to assume that (a) the brainstone is something important to the Taklons, because there's only one of it, and (b) it has something to do with thinking. My guess, their insectoid appearance makes it seem likely that it's a hive-mind, maybe with a three-fates shared-eyeball thing going on. I don't need three paragraphs explaining what level of individuality and cognition a solo Taklon has or whether they have any rivalries with the other races. Just the existence of The Brainstone makes the Taklons already one of the most memorable races.

I do wish the other races had one or two descriptive elements like the brainstone, though. Ivits/Bescods being named "The Swarm" and "Mad Androids" in German is a similar thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bach Le
msg tools
Chrondeath wrote:
bullno1 wrote:

The brainstone is, like, a perfect example of minmalistic storytelling. Just the fact that it's named "the brainstone" and there's only one of it, you get a pretty good idea of how this race probably works. You may not have certainty, and there might be multiple interpretations that fit the same description, but at the least it seems safe to assume that (a) the brainstone is something important to the Taklons, because there's only one of it, and (b) it has something to do with thinking. My guess, their insectoid appearance makes it seem likely that it's a hive-mind, maybe with a three-fates shared-eyeball thing going on. I don't need three paragraphs explaining what level of individuality and cognition a solo Taklon has or whether they have any rivalries with the other races. Just the existence of The Brainstone makes the Taklons already one of the most memorable races.

I do wish the other races had one or two descriptive elements like the brainstone, though. Ivits/Bescods being named "The Swarm" and "Mad Androids" in German is a similar thing.

When I put the German name into google image, I got Thanos. So I guess it's the mind gem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Weber

Southboro
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bullno1 wrote:

This game is one of my favourites but I hope they could at least pretend to care and hand-wave in some theme.

I just like to believe that those planets are super toxic and unsuitable for any races. So you put the "gaia former" there to suck away all the toxic waste.

What's all this grousin' about? Why aren't we running a contest for the best back story? It would kind of be like George Lucas' attempt to make interesting prequels for Star Wars -- the elements are all there; they just need to be threaded together a bit. Oh, wait ... that explanation of The Force totally killed my Star Wars buzz, maybe this is a bad idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.