6 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Playmat recommendations for 3 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc R
msg tools
mbmbmb
Relatively new player here, but I'm already in deep with all the Sagas plus a bunch of APs. I'm looking for playmat recommendations to enhance the thematic experience, and to make it easier to grab those shadow cards off the table.

I mostly play 3 handed with my two sons, in a "U" shape at the end of a 40inch wide table. We play open handed, so each of us has three rows of cards: First row (closest to the edge) is our hand, then allies, and then heroes. Staging area is in the middle.

I'm skeptical that the official FFG "Fellowship 1-4 Player Gamemat" accommodates 3-4 players. People that use it: is 26"x26" enough to hold more than the staging area and maybe engaged enemies? It looks like there's a lot of wasted space at the top where the card outlines are...does it feel that way in practice?

I'm considering buying the 3'x3' one made for Journeys in Middle-Earth instead. Has anyone tried that one? (Maybe it hasn't shipped yet...what about mats of similar size?)

What about non-FFG mats? Anyone have any experience with one that fits 3 players?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unlimited Power
msg tools
mbmbmb
If you want it all to fit, the 3'x'3 option is the better choice by far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Chalfont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently was stuck in bed and tried to play the LOTR LCG on a standard sized playmat one handed and it did not work very well.

You should get by with a standard sized playmat for a single player area. I mostly play one handed and use one playmat for the player and another for the scenario and staging areas. Probably three standard if you want separate areas for two players and the scenario.

I don't see how the 4 playermat could handle more than 2. I personally don't get the need to have defined areas to place cards defined on a playmat as either it is so few places defined it is useless (like the 1-4 playermat) or the player defined areas eventually too restrictive as new cycles can change how cards are laid out.

I ordered the 36x36 for both Journeys and the LCG mainly due to the map (and simple no box design). I can't imagine it not being enough space.

It is nice to have a playmat to pull cards off of. You can get big playmats with generic graphics or just a background color that are nice if you want to play different games and not deal with eventually owning a dozen playmats, plus tubes to store them in, because playing Arkham Horror on Middle Earth doesn't feel right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
If you are only playing at home, you can do what I did and order a 51" x 83" sheet of neoprene from this place. It was only about $60. I cut it down to fit my entire gaming table. Main downside is it takes up a lot more space storing it. I think it feels and looks nice though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark D
United States
San Fernando Valley
California
flag msg tools
mb
I bought a dining table pad from this place; Berger's Table Pads.

https://www.tablepads.com/

They do cost more than neoprene mats & game mats, but they are beautifully made and can stay on the table all the time. (No need to store them).

Measure your tabletop and they can custom make it for you. One side, the top, is slick and sleek which is great for some games, like just playing poker or something.
The other side is velvet which is perfect for LoTR and such games making it very easy to pick the cards off the table.

They have 3 grades. I went with the mid-grade which can stand up to 350F (for hot food if dining) and 15 year warranty. They also have magnalocs to keep the 2 halves together. (Although mine just folds in the middle).

They have all kinds of grades and colors but whats nice is it doesnt look like a gaming mat when you're done and wifey may like it too. Excellent craftsmanship.

Good Luck

(PS.. It did cost $165, bought it 4/7/2018. I have a big table that it covers, 51.5" by 35". I got Mocha Leathertone Top/ Brown Dura-Velvet Bottom).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc R
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies & recommendations, sounds like bigger = better. I'm intrigued by the idea of getting a reversible one with a themed side and a generic side custom fit for my table. I may need to save up some cash first though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.