Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody know what's in the campaign book? Is there any narrative depth, perhaps with choose your own adventure choice points, or is it merely a mechanical roadmap for the various scenarios?

I've backed the game, but I'm uncertain whether I'll maintain my pledge. The real draws are the theme (vampires), scope (700 years!), and the dopamine hit of the new (Legacy!!), but I'd be remiss to say the actual gameplay shown in the videos doesn't look that engaging at all.

Is the game really just card drafting, set collecting and area control? Can this be fun for a table of two that doesn't really get a rush out of take-that dominance?

No offense to the creators, I wish the title the best, but I'm on the fence for whether it's for me.

Anybody else feeling this uncertainty? Maybe we can help each other past it...
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You hit the nail on the head for some of my concerns, and why I'll likely be passing on this.

The way I'm seeing the game, I'd be drafting a card based on battlegrounds and other stats that will go up and down, and that might generate some type of story after the fact(the Ventrue just embraced an impoverished person with some theiving ability), but the decision to draft the card wont be because of a narrative decision. The crux of the game seems to be deciding what hits in what stats/battlegrounds I'm willing to take in order to advance in others (spreadsheet manipulation).

I don't have a regular group to play with, so I'd never get to enjoy much of the Legacy aspects. And, while it can be played as one-offs and that kind of gameplay can be fun, I can't see it worth that price point if I'm just playing one-offs.

~V
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I I
United States
flag msg tools
Maybe wait a few more days to get more information rather than to speculate when there isn't enough information revealed yet...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sirPuppyIV wrote:
Maybe wait a few more days to get more information rather than to speculate when there isn't enough information revealed yet...


You are aware the game is currently live on Kickstarter, yes? What is changing in the next few days compared to the information on both the campaign page and the preview videos we have on offer today?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like what I would want is Jihad (the CCG) as a LCG with a legacy component. Something like a blind draft plus some campaign/story elements. I have not really investigated the ks.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
You are aware the game is currently live on Kickstarter, yes? What is changing in the next few days compared to the information on both the campaign page and the preview videos we have on offer today?

It isn't uncommon for review/playthrough videos to surface over the course of the campaign. In addition, the developers may start addressing questions. So yes, there *may* (or may not) be additional information forthcoming.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
I feel like what I would want is Jihad (the CCG) as a LCG with a legacy component. Something like a blind draft plus some campaign/story elements. I have not really investigated the ks.

This game is not remotely the same as Jihad, with the exception that vampires are involved and some of the same "game historical" elements are present.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:
I feel like what I would want is Jihad (the CCG) as a LCG with a legacy component. Something like a blind draft plus some campaign/story elements. I have not really investigated the ks.

This game is not remotely the same as Jihad, with the exception that vampires are involved and some of the same "game historical" elements are present.


Yeah I know, that's why I haven't really bothered with the KS. I'm not quite invested enough in the IP to buy another tableau builder. The art is nice though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
Becq wrote:
rebuscarnival wrote:
I feel like what I would want is Jihad (the CCG) as a LCG with a legacy component. Something like a blind draft plus some campaign/story elements. I have not really investigated the ks.

This game is not remotely the same as Jihad, with the exception that vampires are involved and some of the same "game historical" elements are present.


Yeah I know, that's why I haven't really bothered with the KS. I'm not quite invested enough in the IP to buy another tableau builder. The art is nice though.

Note that just because it *isn't* Jihad doesn't mean it's a bad game, but if you're expecting a new edition of Jihad with legacy elements, you're likely to be disappointed!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
United States
Boston
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

It isn't uncommon for review/playthrough videos to surface over the course of the campaign. In addition, the developers may start addressing questions. So yes, there *may* (or may not) be additional information forthcoming.


The OP is asking for more info in one particular aspect...and you are telling him/her to just wait? Until when can he/she wait? Until the KS is over and then the decision is "final"? Or should concerns be raised during the KS so that the question can be answered and backers have an informed decision?

The OP is doing exactly what anyone with a question should do
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blayne Miley
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hesitant about the level of take that as well. Not that it's inherently bad, just that I don't think it'd be a great fit for my group.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
You are aware the game is currently live on Kickstarter, yes? What is changing in the next few days compared to the information on both the campaign page and the preview videos we have on offer today?

It isn't uncommon for review/playthrough videos to surface over the course of the campaign. In addition, the developers may start addressing questions. So yes, there *may* (or may not) be additional information forthcoming.


Given the legacy nature of this game, what we've seen likely corresponds with all that is revealed at the campaign's start. I do not doubt some hidden gems exist to titillate or surprise, but we're unlikely to have those spoiled by official pre-release press.

Further, my opening curiosity, about the inherent narrative bent of the game, shouldn't need second or third wave press to reveal. A cursory glance at the components on the campaign page shows only one possible place this narrative depth could be hidden: the campaign book (hence my question).



3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Given the legacy nature of this game, what we've seen likely corresponds with all that is revealed at the campaign's start. I do not doubt some hidden gems exist to titillate or surprise, but we're unlikely to have those spoiled by official pre-release press.

Further, my opening curiosity, about the inherent narrative bent of the game, shouldn't need second or third wave press to reveal. A cursory glance at the components on the campaign page shows only one possible place this narrative depth could be hidden: the campaign book (hence my question).

Agreed; I don't think they will spoil any of the envelopes, for example. But there may well be a playthrough that shows more than the several player turns that Rahdo included in his playthrough. Without the extended playthrough, I didn't feel like I got much of a feel for gameplay, so I'm hoping to see more.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Wetterling
Germany
Magdeburg
Sachsen-Anhalt
flag msg tools
It really bugs me that they use Legacy format? At least if its anything like Risk or Pandemic legacy (one campaign only)

I would hate that. cause I would like to play this more than once.

They should have done a campaign more in the style of Imperial Assault/Descent. Meaning you copy a sheet where you note everything and then can reset it after your done.

Especially since they Advertise Addons? What if I only wanna play base game and then introduce addons in a second playthrough?

Its more simple game design isnt too much of a turn off for me. I like the mechanics. Plus me and my boyfriend are competetive players so we can be mean to each other in games and still enjoy it. devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shelby Babb
United States
Springdale
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pheon0802 wrote:
It really bugs me that they use Legacy format? At least if its anything like Risk or Pandemic legacy (one campaign only)

I would hate that. cause I would like to play this more than once.


There's some talk of resetting options in Update 7, but they don't know what they're doing exactly yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They said that they would (at least) do one of the following:
(a) use reusable stickers
(b) make a recharge pack available as an add-on

In the (b) option, the price was fairly reasonable at around $8, including a full set of character cards and stickers to reset the campaign. Note that this also means you'd end up with two complete sets of character cards to play generic chapters with... (Or more, if you bought several recharge packs).

Also regarding option (b), you should probably buy them with your copy, if you think you'll want them. I'd expect them to sell for at least double at retail (if not more).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
They said that they would (at least) do one of the following:
(a) use reusable stickers
(b) make a recharge pack available as an add-on

In the (b) option, the price was fairly reasonable at around $8, including a full set of character cards and stickers to reset the campaign. Note that this also means you'd end up with two complete sets of character cards to play generic chapters with... (Or more, if you bought several recharge packs).

Also regarding option (b), you should probably buy them with your copy, if you think you'll want them. I'd expect them to sell for at least double at retail (if not more).


(b) could also be blank stickers to cover stickers already placed on cards, as well as a fresh sticker sheet. Then they wouldn't have to produce cards.

I think something along those lines are a lot more likely then a full set of unstickered cards.

~V
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veero wrote:
(b) could also be blank stickers to cover stickers already placed on cards, as well as a fresh sticker sheet. Then they wouldn't have to produce cards.

I think something along those lines are a lot more likely then a full set of unstickered cards.

~V

Stickering over was not one of the options they gave, and would be problematic because it could result in really thick stacks of stickers on cards beyond a single replay.

They did say they were pursuing *removable* stickers, which is close but far superior solution than stickering over.

I'd prefer the recharge pack, since it would result in having two sets of cards, allowing more variation in generic games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Veen
United States
Columbia Heights
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rebuscarnival wrote:
I feel like what I would want is Jihad (the CCG) as a LCG with a legacy component. Something like a blind draft plus some campaign/story elements. I have not really investigated the ks.


I would buy that.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.