Subject: Not sure about the Labyrinth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
I played this using the Labyrinth side with two other experienced DF players. This module looked the most interesting of the two.

I have to say that our experience wasn't great. The big problem was that it just slowed down things way too much due to all the extra buys, celestial dice, etc. The problem was that on any given roll, you potentially had all three people having to do stuff. The active player would need get a Labyrinth movement, which would then get them a celestial die roll, which might also let them copy someone else's die, which gives them another movement. And oh yeah, they actually got two celestial die rolls before so now they need to do the next one. Now they're doing a buy. But they can't actually put the faces on because someone else might need to copy them, because they're about to get celestial rolls. And then eventually, it gets back around to the buy phase. In which the active player buys a +2 movement card.

Rinse. Repeat.

Our game wound up taking at least double the time of a normal DF game. We would have probably shaved maybe 10 minutes off with the rules questions we had to look up. It takes what is typically a quicker turn - everyone rolls, non-active players collect their earnings and wait, active player buys and applies any immediate card effects - into something much more plodding. Everyone needs to make sure they don't touch their dice due to the copying, and take things in turns because even if you're not the active player, you may need to make a Forge purchase (and before the active player).

I'd like to try the Titans side, but I probably wouldn't buy Rebellion if I thought only half of it was good.

We tossed around the idea of only allowing a celestial die roll when you had the matching die faces, and replacing that reward on the path with something else. Not sure if it'd just neuter the game too much, though. There'd still be a lot of the other issues but it wouldn't elevate it to the level where my friend stated, "This is ridiculous." He wasn't smiling when he said that, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.