Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
cedric bartoli
France
Lille
Hauts-de-France
flag msg tools
Hi gamers,

I'm Cedric and I'm here to talk to you about Planet of the Apes.
As you may know, we're from northern France, and as real fan of POTA, we bought the licence from 20th century Fox to create this game.

The game is now on KS, and, I confess, is just funded. We hoped to have more success, and that's why i'm here..
I'd like to share the game experiment, and I'd like to try to invite to finance the game.

POTA is not an expensive game. The al-in game is only 260$ for the all-in, and we still have dozens of miniatures to show in SG.

The link on Kickstarter is here :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/109786817/planet-of-the...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best of luck with the campaign to you.

I personally will not back though. I hope that my comment will not hurt your campaign, but rather provides at least some feedback on why I didn't back, or what I'd improve.

Why I didn't back:
- I got limited shelf space, so I've to be very picky regarding big games.
- I like painting miniatures, but I like painting very diverse miniatures, and the theme of POTA of course has here limits.
- I just backed one expensive game (Shadows of Brimstone) and it seems that another one (Cthulhu Wars: Final Onslaught) is coming up.
- I don't have a strong connection to the setting.

What I'd improve regarding the campaign:
- Get impressive voice acting for the video.
- The first thing I see, when scrolling through the campaign page, is "260$". That might already scare some people away.
- My first impression was, that the game is a 1vs1 strategy game, apes vs human. But it says it's cooperative. That is unintuitive for me. How is it cooperative? Are you playing humans and fighting against the apes? Or the other way round? Or both against something else? I couldn't get that from the intro video (I found that in the text, but the video should really say that in my opinion).
- When I scroll down, I see the origins part, but it doesn't instantly explain me what it is. What are the differences exactly? At first I thought it's an expansion, but it seems to be another version of the game. Is it very different, or just a reskin? I can't get that from the campaign part that shows me all the pretty origin pictures.
- And then I scroll further down, and there it says, at the reforestation pledge, "4new foliages". Why new? Were they stretch goals? I don't get it.
- Then there are some black X marks on some images. What does it mean? Is that a stretch goal that's not unlocked? Or just artwork?
- And regarding the gameplay: how is the coop game played with four players? Do you just split up the tasks or are there some mechanics at play?
- With so many questions, I was searching for a playthrough video, but that was quite hidden to me.
- Also, you don't seem to have "social" stretch goals. Like "share the game 100 times on Facebook", or "give it 50 likes on BGG" or anything like that. I don't know how effective those are, but apart from spreading the word, they give the current backers more to look out for, than just the money-dependent stretch goals.
- Apart from a gameplay video where you explain the game to somebody who has never played it before, I think a gameplay video would be great where everybody who plays it would know it very well, as that would give a better impression on the games fluidity and duration.
- For me very important for coop games: how is the difficulty? Is it easily adjusted? I'm sure it's said somewhere on the campaign page, but the entire page is a bit confusing to me.
- When I go on your website, it says nothing about your campaign except a link to a website that doesn't work at this point.
- In the one gameplay video you got, the game already looks very polished according to the components. However, you often zoom on dice, and they look quite cheap to me. The dice shown on the campaign page are very tiny on the images and I can't make them out well, so that makes me worry whether they look better in the final game.

But then again, maybe I'm just a bit slow in comprehension.

Also, I think that knowing that you expected a more successful campaign, I think you have to ensure to give the backers you have the feeling, that they're not getting just half a game regarding the probably not reached stretch goals.
And I haven't heard of your company before. It seems that Planet of the Apes is your second board game (at least your second campaign and I couldn't find any more information on your website). So getting such a big license is quite a risk for such a new company, isn't it? As such, even though the funding is not as high as you hoped, I guess completing this campaign and providing a good game, even if to a smaller than hoped for audience, is a good step towards the future of your company.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The KS page is unnecessarily confusing. Ive backed many games and each game the pledge level packages were clear. I had to spend a bit of time figuring out the expansions. For example some of the working had me wondering if one of the expansions was in fact stand-alone.

Last you might not want to use language like "only $260". Thats a chunk of change. I dont doubt its a good value but thats still $260 which could easily let a gamer fund 3-6 smaller games.

Im glad youre funded and good luck with the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ils ont raison. C’est malheureusement trop confus. Jeu de figs? Coop? Impossible de répondre intuitivement en survolant la page d’accueil. Trop de concurrence sur le même terrain par ailleurs, et probablement pas le meilleur timing non plus.

I’ll follow but won’t pledge either. And indeed, as they said, it’s not only 260$, but it’s a real, fat and solid 260$ I currently have not.

Good luck guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another issue is the $260 prices in the stretch goals. If they are not all hit it starts to not be worth the $260, and since we've seen the figures held back as stretch goals (at least several of them) not getting them is going to cause folks to back out, which ends up being pretty bad for the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dukelow
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've loved planet of the apes since I was a kid; watching the old Charlton Heston movies, and now I love the new ones too.
I was excited when I came across this kickstarter a week or two ago. But once I saw the campaign page, I immediately knew it wasn't something I would be backing.

$260 is too much for me, the most I've spent on a kickstarter was around $150 and I was getting all the gameplay elements. I am turned off by kickstarter exclusive games that have a bunch of gameplay add ons. There's something about it, that makes me feel like I'll only have a partial experience if I don't buy everything, so it makes me decide to save my money for another experience, where I can get the majority of the content, or I can buy a core box and expansions later.

I too, was confused by the presentation. Looking at it again, I'm still not clear. What's the core box? Are origins and war both core boxes, and you can decide which one you want? What about reforestation? Why does that have it's own pledge level? What I'm used to is a campaign that presents itself to me like, here's the core pledge:$$. Oh, you want to add expansions? Here:$$$.

One last thing, and I'll admit, this is just me, but miniatures are not really my thing. I want a really well crafted game with good gameplay, that tells me a story. If that comes with miniatures, cool, and if I really like the minis, even better, but it's not a selling point for me as it is for a lot of people. If your game and the story it tells are good, I'd be just as happy playing through it with cardboard standees, and that could even bring it down to my price point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawedu wrote:

One last thing, and I'll admit, this is just me, but miniatures are not really my thing. I want a really well crafted game with good gameplay, that tells me a story. If that comes with miniatures, cool, and if I really like the minis, even better, but it's not a selling point for me as it is for a lot of people. If your game and the story it tells are good, I'd be just as happy playing through it with cardboard standees, and that could even bring it down to my price point

The Kickstarter page is 90% about miniatures and is very sparse on gameplay. That is the biggest turnoff to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
cedric bartoli
France
Lille
Hauts-de-France
flag msg tools
Thanks for your advices.
A Kickstarter campaign is a project made with the backers, and other people who won't back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I took a look at the campaign when it went live, the only part that really interested me is the POTA Origins box, I came over to BGG to see if there's an entry for it and found nothing.

I took a look at the rules when they were posted and they're all in french.

POTA Origins kickstarter exclusive?

Hard pass on this one.

And $260 isn't inexpensive to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of the original movie and just interested in the ORIGINS game. But seems most of the development is going into the WAR new movie game.

Would be cool to have those minis, just wondering how solid the game is. They've certainly spent a lot of time on the minis and art elements. Need to study the KS page more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.