Call to Adventure» Forums » General

Subject: Are some background cards more powerful? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bart Walczak
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played this game quite a few times already, and I find the background cards which gain 1 experience when a certain rune symbol is cast more powerful than the ones that require you to spend experience. Given that there are not that many ways to gain experience, and that it tends to be a pretty useful resource, the character which can generate xp "on a side" seems to have an advantage over those that can't.

Thoughts? Or am I doing something wrong? Of course I am only gaining one XP per successful cast of a particular symbol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. F. Lewis
United States
flag msg tools
badge
This is Bloodmane (as depicted by Todd Lockwood) from my novel Grudgebearer.
mbmbmbmbmb
They definitely seem stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Raw
United States
flag msg tools
This is something I really want to look into as I've found sometimes I get great synergies from my starting 3 cards and sometimes it's all over the place. I've found that you basically have to have 1 XP generating card or you'll never have enough XP to do what you want. That can be either a motivation or background.

From the backgrounds you either have "get 2 XP from failing one of two rune challenges" or the aforementioned "get 1 XP from casting a double success on one of two rune types". I find myself actively avoiding failing challenges so I usually only fail 1 challenge a game for 2 XP total. Whereas with the other one I immediately try to get at least two of each of those two runes. I usually cast those runes in 4 challenges which means 4 challenges x 2 runes per challenge x .5 chance of casting the symbol = 4 XP per game. So it mathematically seems better.

It also feels better because you get something while succeeding whereas the other XP generating background is more of a consolation prize when you fail a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.