Subject: Heroes tied for preferred target? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
patrick drago
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like I've read over the book half a dozen times looking for this particular rule, but I cannot seem to find it. If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

If an enemy's preferred target is, for example, most health, and there are two heroes in their same space with the same amount of health, who would the enemy target? We were trying to play by the rule of doing what was most beneficial for the enemy, but I wanted to check and make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
defdrago wrote:
I feel like I've read over the book half a dozen times looking for this particular rule, but I cannot seem to find it. If anyone could help out, I'd appreciate it.

If an enemy's preferred target is, for example, most health, and there are two heroes in their same space with the same amount of health, who would the enemy target? We were trying to play by the rule of doing what was most beneficial for the enemy, but I wanted to check and make sure.

If there's a tie for preferred target, pick the hero with the most wounds, then if there's still a tie, it's hero with the least (total) HP. Not sure what you do if there's still a tie at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Filla
United States
Hales Corners
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's definitely in the rules (which I do not have in front of me, but it's the same section that explains all the different symbols which tell you who the monster targets first).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Unlimited Power
msg tools
mbmbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
defdrago wrote:

If there's a tie for preferred target, pick the hero with the most wounds, then if there's still a tie, it's hero with the least (total) HP. Not sure what you do if there's still a tie at that point.

This is correct - if still a tie, then the heroes can choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caio Assad
Brazil
flag msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick drago
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CaioAssad wrote:

Thank you very much. I must have glossed over that section a bunch of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That third point always confuses me. Or maybe I'm just mixing up my Galaxy Defenders rules with this game.

But I always played that you check for the closest hero within LOS (using the [+] if none are in LOS) and then do the appropriate AI for that distance. If that's the case how would the tied heroes ever be at different distances?

...Unless, in the tie-breaker it means closest as in closest legal movement path? I guess that would be a very niche case though and its something that actually never occurred to me until just now. Is that what it means? Or have I been playing this all wrong and you check for the closest preferred target first ignoring all non/less-preferred targets even if they are closer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bredon
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero_guy wrote:
That third point always confuses me. Or maybe I'm just mixing up my Galaxy Defenders rules with this game.

But I always played that you check for the closest hero within LOS (using the [+] if none are in LOS) and then do the appropriate AI for that distance. If that's the case how would the tied heroes ever be at different distances?

Sometimes the AI line is {0}{1}{2} - in that case, valid targets for that AI line can be at multiple ranges, and the primary target calculation is based on all valid hero targets at those ranges. In those cases, the primary target is sometimes not the closest.

In S&S, you go line by line down the AI until you find a line with a valid target or reach the {+} line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hero Guy
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah...I actually got that just now when reading another thread on this forum. And now it makes perfect sense.

Its not:
Who's the closest possible target?

but rather:
Are there any targets within the first (set of) range(s)? If no, check the next set or ranges below etc until the answer is yes or until you hit the [+], whichever comes first.
Then within that (set of) range(s) we check for preferred target and then go to tie-breakers if necessary.

tl: dr - yes, I have been playing it wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.