Subject: Stoners and squares a like will love Dopeman. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rebecca Antonucci
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I love this stinking game. Admittedly, I know the creator. HOWEVER, I can confidently say as a board game enthusiast, that I throughly enjoy playing Dopeman. Not only that, I enjoy watching other people play this game. It cracks me up to see the personas that friends take on when suddenly becoming drug dealers.

The game is fairly simple to learn. I would describe it as Monopoly meets Settlers of Catan meets... well drugs. Even when you're luck is less than ideal, there are ways to stay involved in the game that keep it fun. You constantly need to negotiate with other players in order to make moves and money, which keeps it social and interesting. Every time I play, I find myself trying out a new strategy.

There are so many fun details as well such as the Text Messages you receive on a burner phone, the excitement (or disappointment) of robbing your friends, bribing the cops to get out of jail, etc.

I also think the design of the game is super cool. The detail of the buildings on the board, the life-sized weapons, and especially the little plastic baggies for the drugs make the design of Dopeman very unique.

There's something about the juxtaposition of dealing drugs and a board game that makes Dopeman so much fun. Stoners and squares a like will love Dopeman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Jones
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Their KS promo video is well-made and cheeky. I like it. Looking at the board though, it looks like a roll and move game straight out of the 1950's. The concept is interesting and I'm sure it's fun, but as a hobbyist I'm not convinced this is a game that design-wise can stand up to other games in my collection. Theme is important but it can only take a bland design so far.

It also doesn't really help that the only quotes they have are from people associated with the project, and the two games they mention in comparison are Monopoly and CAH. I'd love to be proven wrong about this one because it seems really silly, but again, it's roll and move. Roll and move! I'm obviously not the target demographic here. Good luck to them on the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zerth
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
It is I.
badge
The blade will not exist if it is taken from me.
mbmbmbmbmb
No LSD???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hard pass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
ranton20 wrote:
HOWEVER, I can confidently say as a board game enthusiast,

You created an account, posted a single post ever - this review - and didn't log back into BGG for at least 2 weeks at this time.

Yeah, that's so legit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:
ranton20 wrote:
HOWEVER, I can confidently say as a board game enthusiast,

You created an account, posted a single post ever - this review - and didn't log back into BGG for at least 2 weeks at this time.

Yeah, that's so legit.

To be fair, she did say "confidently" and not "truthfully". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebus Carnival
United States
Da Burbz
DC METRO
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Oh, you can stand it alright.
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope you didn't blow all that trust fund on this piece of shit. It's gonna be tough to move upstate when your liver finally gives out if you don't got no money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.