Dj Style
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mb
Last week I've been playing my first game of Holland '44 and boy do I love this game. However, there were some questions that came up during play and I was hoping some of you could clarify!

1. Combining REM+Bd units
While using my engineers to ferry an armored unit over a river, I used a Bd unit to do so. The 2-step armor on the other side got attacked and was reduced to a remnant. Is it ok to combine this remnant with the breakdown unit to recreate the 2-step armor unit? I couldn't find anything on combining REM+Bd units in the rules.

2. River assault on EZOC
An (engineer) ferry cannot be used if there is an EZOC on the other side of the river. My opponent made good use out of this rule by putting all his units just one hex back from the river. EZOC everywhere! I wanted to use a river assault to get over the river, but in the rules it wasn't clear if you could use a river assault on an enemy EZOC. Is this ok?

3. Overstacked defence
When overstacked defending units (which have a defence of 0) are in a desperation defence, do they get the chance to roll? Or are they destroyed when the units that got there defence value counted are gone? It seems like a very sneaky way to increase defence a lot to overstack (especially in city hexes).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug DeMoss
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DjStyle wrote:
Last week I've been playing my first game of Holland '44 and boy do I love this game. However, there were some questions that came up during play and I was hoping some of you could clarify!

1. Combining REM+Bd units
While using my engineers to ferry an armored unit over a river, I used a Bd unit to do so. The 2-step armor on the other side got attacked and was reduced to a remnant. Is it ok to combine this remnant with the breakdown unit to recreate the 2-step armor unit? I couldn't find anything on combining REM+Bd units in the rules.

2. River assault on EZOC
An (engineer) ferry cannot be used if there is an EZOC on the other side of the river. My opponent made good use out of this rule by putting all his units just one hex back from the river. EZOC everywhere! I wanted to use a river assault to get over the river, but in the rules it wasn't clear if you could use a river assault on an enemy EZOC. Is this ok?

3. Overstacked defence
When overstacked defending units (which have a defence of 0) are in a desperation defence, do they get the chance to roll? Or are they destroyed when the units that got there defence value counted are gone? It seems like a very sneaky way to increase defence a lot to overstack (especially in city hexes).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

1. Yes. If you break down a reduced 3-step unit (so it currently has 2 steps), you get a Rem and a BD. You're just reversing the process.

2. Yes, there's errata to this effect. You can ferry into those hexes.

3. Yes. 6.4.2 specifically allows them to be used in a Determined Defense, and Desperation Defense is a form of Determined Defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dj Style
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the quick and clear answers! This will hopefully give me a bit more edge for the last rounds of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.