Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: CRUISE_CONTROL_FOR_COOL [+] [View All]
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Friends, you may have seen a Kickstarter update (#15), where Patrick mentioned a *fan-driven expansion*...

And you may have seen a thread last year about a “Big A$$ Snake” faction being designed by a group of fans in Brooklyn, called B*ROOT*LYN:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2086085/root-w-big-snake/pa...

Well, with the support of Leder Gamers, Brooklyn Game Lab is working to bring *FANGUS KHAN* to the Woodland!

The details of when/how this and other fan-factions will/may be released is still being worked out.

In the meantime, we’re opening our design process to the public, sharing the latest build and asking for *your* help getting Khan ready for public consumption (see what I did there?).

-------------------------------

Here is the high-res printable player board (and tokens):

FOR REFERENCE ONLY:

VERSION BM

PLAYER BOARD:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Hw8bUj4bueTHXc4C0dse1UjTcO...

FACTION COMPONENTS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HY9GKEhQr1h27-sfifql6BKaeO8...

VERSION BN

PLAYER BOARD:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r7l6LqcFmrDHyoMmlMeg6uKKoAV...

FACTION COMPONENTS:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1S_fGxawUy2bsQJKkj9QKc9GrQo...

CURRENT VERSION:

VERSION BO

PLAYER BOARD:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=17lLGj7JBXLQDJJG1AYd8v2Zw6u...

FACTION COMPONENTS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Tg1bNoM0Zd1VYbed_3lb87vH0Qt...

PLAYTEST SCORECARD:

JOIN US as we take the new, improved Khan and test it in all sorts of faction/map combos!
If you do end up playing Khan, record and share your results in this thread to help us hone the faction!
All Khan play-testers who comment and submit regular test feedback will get a shout-out in the rulebook!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zNTnnj_2B0I85sKPSpr6pzmtNk...

• [+] Dice rolls
Felix Lastname
Germany
Konstanz
flag msg tools
designer
Pomboo. Si samaki, si mnyama. Si mzee, si kijana.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OFFICIAL THIRD EXPANSION
Congrats, what a marvellous development!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I can't wait to play the new iteration. It's looking good!

One quick clarification though for others following along. As we've said in the past, we are hoping hoping to officially support some fan content for Root. Right now we are still in the early stages of planning what that looks like. We are also looking for other ways (contests?) to solicit and evaluate additional content.

We'll be sure to share details as soon as we have them. Right now though we are all busy getting Root: The Underworld Expansion ready for production.

Though, in any case, best of luck to Bob and the Brooklyn Game Lab on the continued development of the Khan!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fanghus Khan is a name I never knew I'd love so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yessssss! Asmodeeeeuuus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eira Følling
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: OFFICIAL FAN FACTIONS
This really feels more like a red Vast character than a Root faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Againsto wrote:
Congrats, what a marvellous development!

Thanks for the support, Felix and thanks for the ideas on the old "Big A$$ Snake" thread.

Huntreth!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
Fanghus Khan is a name I never knew I'd love so much.

Jim, thanks for the love! Wait till you play against it and it melts your heart - in its digestive juices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that it's official, may I add this to my Tabletop Simulator mod? Do you have any artwork for a Fenghis Khan meeple?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
McChew wrote:
Now that it's official, may I add this to my Tabletop Simulator mod? Do you have any artwork for a Fenghis Khan meeple?

We'd LOVE to help you with this! I'd recommend doing an analog playtest with the faction to see if you have any questions about how it works - we're here to answer any questions!

As far as the meeple, we've been using these Sea Serpents from Survive Escape From Atlantis:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cole Wehrle wrote:
Man, I can't wait to play the new iteration. It's looking good!

One quick clarification though for others following along. As we've said in the past, we are hoping hoping to officially support some fan content for Root. Right now we are still in the early stages of planning what that product looks like and when/how it will be released. We are also looking for other ways (contests?) to solicit and evaluate additional content.

We'll be sure to share details as soon as we have them. Right now though we are all busy getting Root: The Underworld Expansion ready for production.

Though, in any case, best of luck to Bob and the Brooklyn Game Lab on the continued development of the Khan!

Cole, thanks as always for supporting our efforts - we're so pumped for the future of fan factions and their potential to expand the ROOT universe in awesome ways!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Bertsen
msg tools
Great news!

May I be the Discord’s ambassador and say: It would be really good if Khan could eat Ruins.

Think on it. Sleep on it. Gnaw on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guerric Samples
United States
flag msg tools
Very excited to see the new semi-official snake. I've been waiting with bated breath ever since the Kickstarter update tease.

Even more exciting, you incorporated my snake den idea! The delayed defensive capabilities is a very smart way to balance it.

Ignoring presence is another very welcome change. Increasing the number of nests per clearing is a better growth option.

The nests track looks better balanced. Victory points on the third nest is much less punishing than on the fourth nest. And tract advancement is more interesting than card draw. Card draw fits better as a growth option than hand size anyway.

Changing Eat to the opponent's choice is a fascinating change. Probably the most interesting change. Really alters the feel of the Snake. Ultimately feels like a very good change. Brings eating more in line with combat. Gives some more decision space to the snakes' opponents.

I'm so, so excited to try out the new version. Sadly I won't have an opportunity for a while as I'm in the midst of a move, but I'll start playtesting as soon as I'm able!

My one big question: can this new version of the snake purchase services from the Riverfolk Company? Does it still return nests to do so?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meowayne wrote:
Great news!

May I be the Discord’s ambassador and say: It would be really good if Khan could eat Ruins.

So in the previous version he COULD. And it was cool. The only issue is that it messes with the amount of build-able spots. And now that his nests are TOKENS (that don't take up those spaces) it feels like it opens up the board too much for the Cats.

It also complicates things a tad on when he eats. Can he eat the item under the Ruin? And if he eats the Ruin does the item remain? Does he eat both?

Ultimately we backtracked to "opponents' pieces" because it also allowed us to implicitly say "hey, Khan can't eat its own nests" too.

But in general I'm totally open to exploring this!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guerric Samples
United States
flag msg tools
Meowayne wrote:
Great news!

Oh yeah! I forgot to talk about the Snake eating ruins! That was one of my favorite aspects of earlier versions of the snake, and I definitely miss it on this current version.

My group is of the feeling that the Vagabond is in need of some competition for resources, so much so that we no longer allow the Vagabond unless a second Vagabond is in the game. I liked that the Snake could put some pressure on the Vagabond by eating ruins and their treasures before the Vagabond could reach them. Did your testing find the Snake was better off only eating opponent's pieces?

Edit: feel free to ignore, you ninja'd me with your reply
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegasSquared wrote:
Very excited to see the new semi-official snake. I've been waiting with bated breath ever since the Kickstarter update tease.

Even more exciting, you incorporated my snake den idea! The delayed defensive capabilities is a very smart way to balance it.

Ignoring presence is another very welcome change. Increasing the number of nests per clearing is a better growth option.

The nests track looks better balanced. Victory points on the third nest is much less punishing than on the fourth nest. And tract advancement is more interesting than card draw. Card draw fits better as a growth option than hand size anyway.

Changing Eat to the opponent's choice is a fascinating change. Probably the most interesting change. Really alters the feel of the Snake. Ultimately feels like a very good change. Brings eating more in line with combat. Gives some more decision space to the snakes' opponents.

I'm so, so excited to try out the new version. Sadly I won't have an opportunity for a while as I'm in the midst of a move, but I'll start playtesting as soon as I'm able!

My one big question: can this new version of the snake purchase services from the Riverfolk Company? Does it still return nests to do so?

You nailed it!

And THANK YOU for all the awesome feedback before (we're listening!). You were right about dens / ignoring rule. And yeah - we were so pumped when we found a way to make Nests defenseless... for a moment... then self-protecting.

We are starting our testing of Vagabond and Riverfolk this Thursday. Thematically we want Khan to regurgitate warriors and pay him - but we kind of already know the cost is too high. I'll keep you posted on our approach as the week progresses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So hyped to have another single warrior faction to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Jozef
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Wow, beautiful art! Looks like a fascinating faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Bertsen
msg tools
Brooklyn Game Lab wrote:
Meowayne wrote:
Great news!

So in the previous version he COULD. And it was cool. The only issue is that it messes with the amount of build-able spots. And now that his nests are TOKENS (that don't take up those spaces) it feels like it opens up the board too much for the Cats.

It also complicates things a tad on when he eats. Can he eat the item under the Ruin? And if he eats the Ruin does the item remain? Does he eat both?

Ultimately we backtracked to "opponents' pieces" because it also allowed us to implicitly say "hey, Khan can't eat its own nests" too.

I mean, sometimes you gotta decide between what is right and what is easy. Y’know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hewitt
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meowayne wrote:
Brooklyn Game Lab wrote:
Meowayne wrote:
Great news!

I mean, sometimes you gotta decide between what is right and what is easy. Y’know.

Challenge accepted!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Really excited to explore Khan more. Playtests of earlier versions were really tense and cool - this snake is a real ticking clock that builds as a threat in a really neat way, sort of like the Alliance's explosive potential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oli ver
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
This looks amazing. I'm keen to play test it soon.

How do frogs work? I can't find any rules except they start in the mouth. Can they only be used for points (discarding from bowels)? If discarded, do they come back to you and, if so, where do they go (supply/mouth)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Pacheco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Brooklyn Game Lab wrote:
Meowayne wrote:
Great news!

I mean, the cats still need all the help they can get....its definitely one of the weaker factions in Root. This isn't going to be the thing that unbalances them as even in Vagabond games where they open the ruins its not like cats run away with the victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I want Fangus to eat a Vagabond, then the Vagabond fights their way out from the inside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [12] |