14 Posts

Hellboy: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stunned with One Action Cube rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
Hey everybody,

I was wondering what the ruling is if an agent is stunned with one action cube thanks to wound counters.

The rules state that an agent has to spend two action cubes to stand up, but that's obviously not possible with only one action cube. Is it reasonable to only have to spend one cube? Or is there a ruling that I missed somewhere?

Any help would be great. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burkhard Hannig
Germany
Neritz
flag msg tools
mbmb
TheHolyPilgrim wrote:
Hey everybody,

I was wondering what the ruling is if an agent is stunned with one action cube thanks to wound counters.

The rules state that an agent has to spend two action cubes to stand up, but that's obviously not possible with only one action cube. Is it reasonable to only have to spend one cube? Or is there a ruling that I missed somewhere?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

I would be interested in the answer of this question, too.whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mordimer Madderdin
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they cannot do anything until next rest phase and they need to remove at least one of their wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
The Investigation Phase I can see that.

But what if it's the boss phase and they can't heal? Are they just forced to be stunned until they get knocked out again? Seems kind of weird to have that as a ruling when it seems like the game makes an effort to prevent player elimination, even if it is the boss fight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Draxon Bailo
Australia
Uranquinty
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with just removing the 1 cube as if it was 2. At least untill we hear anything official. Keep the game going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Williams
United Kingdom
Penkridge
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always spend 1 cube a turn until you have spent the 2 required to stand up - but perhaps that is a bit harsh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you're knocked out. Best guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chuck reaume
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
krakengames wrote:
I would say you're knocked out. Best guess.

That’s the route I’d go. If you can’t meet the criteria for being stunned (part of which is the ability to become “unstunned”), you move up to the next level - knocked out.

There’s nothing in the rules that say that, just how I would play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holy Pilgrim
msg tools
Thanks for the replies everybody!

We're gonna try it a different effect each game (either you can spend one or you get knocked out) and find what feels the best until we get an official response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Leber
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've added an idea for a house rule in my other collection thread that might be more fair / give you a chance even with unlucky wounds:
Instead of having to pay 2 to get up again, stunning immediately removes up to two cubes from your agent's board.
Explained like that:
If you are still full of energy (have 3 cubes) you can shake the stun off during your round and do an action (same as if you would pay the two cubes to stand up)
If you are already beaten up (have two or one cube), you need all your energy to shake it off, but if you don't get re-stunned you can at least do something the turn after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
How about you need to take an action cube from another agent to help. It symbolizes that you got knocked out and needed help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Strain
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Oooh, I like that. Might steal it as a house rule lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Aculeus wrote:
How about you need to take an action cube from another agent to help. It symbolizes that you got knocked out and needed help.

Nice idea. It's a better house rule as you still pay 2 cubes so seems more fair.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Connors
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found the following in the FAQ if this is still unresolved.

If a Stunned Agent has fewer than two Action Cubes at the start of the Agent phase
(because of Injuries or other game effects), what happens?

They spend all their available action cubes – even if that’s somehow none! – and stand up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.