Core Space» Forums » Variants

Subject: Firefly Weapons for Core Space rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Malin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Looking to set up a Custom Crew using Gale Force 9's Firefly miniatures.
Working on trying to have fun, yet balanced weapons for the crew.
These would be something you would have to buy after you save up some Universal Assets (UA) or could possibly be seeded into crates as a random Rare Item and are definately on the high end of the range of weapon stats.

Jayne's Gun - Vera (Ver 1) : Burst Fire +2, Reliable and Silent

UA Buy 16 → Sell 8

Jayne's Gun - Vera (Ver 2) : Full Clip Shot, Reliable and Silent

Ok, I know the symbol is actually for Full Charge shot which is used for the Energy Weapons, but this may be more suited since it forces you to use more ammo for the extra Combat Dice. 4-5 Ammo for a +2 Combat Dice or 6-7 Ammo for +3 Combat Dice.

UA Buy 16 → Sell 8

Jayne's Gun - Vera (Ver 3) : Effortless Action Reload, Full Clip Shot and Reliable

UA Buy 16 → Sell 8

Mal's Pistol - Burst Fire +1 and Reliable

UA Buy 10 → Sell 5

Zoe's Rifle - Burst Fire +1 and Reliable

UA Buy 8 → 4

Any constructive criticism is welcomed. devil

I am fully aware I am taking liberties with some of the skills, as I am working from the PDF files while waiting for the KS delivery in the US.

Note as mentioned above: I do consider these to be End Game weapons.
I would NOT be starting my crew with these weapons.
These would get seeded as a random Rare chance or purchased with UA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolch Jokke
msg tools
Your weapons are way to strong!
Do you actually have the game?

Beside of this your artwork is great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Malin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools

As I mentioned I am still waiting for Kickstarter delivery in the US.

In addition, these would not be the starting weapons for the crew. They would need to save UA to purchase or find them in a mission. I plan on making custom tokens for them.

These are based on items from the game.

Example Mal's Pistol cost break down.

Military Pistol Enhanced 2\1\1 with Burst Fire +1 is UA Buy 9 → Sell 4

Now an Outland Energy Rifle with Burst Fire +1 is UA Buy 5 → Sell 2
An Outland Energy Rifle Enhanced with Burst Fire +1 and Reliable is UA Buy 6 → Sell 3

So the Reliable stat is effectively UA Buy +1 → Sell +1

Which is how I came up with this:

Mal's Pistol - Burst Fire +1 and Reliable

UA Buy 10 → Sell 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noshrok Grimskull
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Wreckers don't call for backup, they call for cleanup!
mbmbmbmb
Vera isn't Silent.
The only reason you didn't hear her was because the only time we saw her being fired was in a vaccuum. Plus, she's armor-piercing, which isn't really something you can easily get with sub-sonic / silenced weapon. My take is that she's loud as heck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Malin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Corran Horn wrote:
Vera isn't Silent.
The only reason you didn't hear her was because the only time we saw her being fired was in a vaccuum. Plus, she's armor-piercing, which isn't really something you can easily get with sub-sonic / silenced weapon. My take is that she's loud as heck.

I do recall the episode.

No gun is truly silenced, but suppressed.
Since Vera has a suppressor I thought it could be interesting to give it the "silent" effect so that no shot fired from Vera could increase threat level. I guess it could just be a flash suppressor.

Just goes to show props guys often just slap things on because it looks cool, not fully taking into account how it works in real life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Malin
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Dolchjokke wrote:
Your weapons are way to strong!
Do you actually have the game?

Beside of this your artwork is great

Note: I do consider these to be End Game weapons.
I would NOT be starting my crew with these weapons.
These would get seeded as a random Rare chance or purchased with UA.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill corlett
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think these are too strong and for a start would remove the burst ability from both Mal and Zoe's weapons, but keep reliable as both are veterans and their weapons will be in top notch condition

Mal's gun is effectively a handgun, so perhaps a stat line of 2 1 0, while Zoe uses a cut down Winchester (a nod to Steve McQueen Dead or Alive)and so maybe 1 2 0?

Vera is more problematic but really is just an assault rifle so perhaps 1 2 2 but retain Burst +1?

My view is that for Core Space the key to designing the characters from Firefly (or any other fave TV shows) will lie in the skills they are given, whereas weaponry will tend to be more generic.

A great example for Firefly would be the design for the River Tam charcter, who would excel at close combat and so be given the full range, but little else. My initial thought was to treat her almost as a Merg, especially using the Charge and Disconnect skills.

Rather than end game weapons , it is better to consider end game charcters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P K
msg tools
I haven't played Core Space enough yet to comment on the weapon designs, but how do the miniatures compare to those of Core Space? Are they close in style and scale? Maybe you could even post a picture with some figures from CS and Firefly side by side?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
badge
I have Overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
ZeusBTY wrote:
I haven't played Core Space enough yet to comment on the weapon designs, but how do the miniatures compare to those of Core Space? Are they close in style and scale? Maybe you could even post a picture with some figures from CS and Firefly side by side?

The minis work pretty well together. Given the variation in human height (6’ 6” vs 5’2” for example). The firefly bases are maybe 10% larger but not a deal breaker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.