Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks» Forums » General

Subject: An update (of sorts) from GF9! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Hur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GF9 have just posted the promised product update from GAMA.
https://www.gf9.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=6458

Doctor Who is 'mentioned' towards the bottom - pictures of 3 expansions: 5th/10th, 7th/9th and 2nd/6th Doctors.
However, no release date...
(Trek is mentioned immediately below this and the expansions for that are specified as being expected in June.)

The video is the same one from a month ago, so no new info there...
Still, I guess it's at least a confirmation they're coming at some point...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they did this more often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! I was already losing hope and thinking of selling my copy of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will believe it when I see them on the shelves, not before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Nice! I was already losing hope and thinking of selling my copy of the game.

You sell your games because expansions may or may not be released? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:

This would be the first, but if the core set is clearly an incomplete game (and it is), yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon
Germany
Passau
Bavaria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
Telrak wrote:

This would be the first, but if the core set is clearly an incomplete game (and it is), yes.

Why is it incomplete? Is it not playable? It is like saying Star Wars Imperial Assault is not complete because there is no Yoda in the game (not even any expansion).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Harris
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Telrak wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Telrak wrote:

Why is it incomplete? Is it not playable? It is like saying Star Wars Imperial Assault is not complete because there is no Yoda in the game (not even any expansion).

The game feels incomplete, and the instruction manual includes cards that aren't in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
insightfulstrike wrote:
Telrak wrote:
GSReis wrote:
Telrak wrote:

The game feels incomplete, and the instruction manual includes cards that aren't in the game.

Plenty of games include references to cards or components from future expansions, especially thematic games. The manual even says “hey we included some future expansion cards here, so don’t worry that they aren’t in the box.

I don’t think the game feels incomplete. I think people feel it is incomplete because either their favorite doctor/companion/episode is not represented (especially Tennant) or because the game originally had six doctors at MSRP $75 and it was reduced to 4 doctors at $50. The company made the base game more affordable and has other doctors planned. Yes, you can criticize their communication and planning failures (and they ARE failures), but the game doesn't feel incomplete to me. It is certainly playable and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just want more content, especially I want content for the classic early Doctors.

I wasn't sure about feeling incomplete as I never needed more than a couple of Doctors to play solitaire, but the rulebook with cards not in the base game was a shot in the foot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
but the rulebook with cards not in the base game was a shot in the foot.

Did you see the part in the rules where it said they were expansion cards?

Did you like that the game was 1/3 the planned cost?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jundi
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is sentiment that *some* were not interested in committing to the game when they felt it wasn't a complete experience. I've enjoyed our plays of it, but do also feel it wasn't "full". Have been waiting on the expansions; didn't completely distract from playing it, but would like more content before playing it again (have played 4 times).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

Did you see the part in the rules where it said they were expansion cards?

YES. But is it a good rulebook that teaches you to play a games using components not actually available?

Why include examples using cards not in the game you are learning to play? Because the rulebook was designed with 6 Doctors in the box. There is a picture of the David Teninch figure in an example too.

It looks for all the world that after deciding to reduce the number of Doctors GF9 added the above mentioned paragraph rather than rewriting the examples and changing the images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:

YES. I'm happy enough with the game I received but I'd love more content.

I have no idea why you would still single my post as I said okay playing what I bought. Just what were you trying to imply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
It looks for all the world that after deciding to reduce the number of Doctors GF9 added the above mentioned paragraph rather than rewriting the examples and changing the images.

Which is cheaper and faster, and got you the game. For whatever reason, GF9 decided to lower from 6 doctors to 4 and reduce the price. I would not have bought a $75 game, but I would have bought and did buy a $50 game to try it out and will now buy some expansions when they do come out. I prefer that to them spending more time and spending more money (and therefore raising the game’s price) just to remove a couple mentions of expansion content, which again, I have seen several times in other games, especially thematic ones. Flying Frog has done this. I just don’t see how it detracts from playing the game. Really, it adds to it, by building anticipation for the expansions with a sneak preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
downeymb wrote:

YES. I'm happy enough with the game I received but I'd love more content.

I have no idea why you would still single my post as I said okay playing what I bought. Just what were you trying to imply?

I am not singling out your post, or implying anything, I am simply responding to many posts, including yours, to try to understand your perspective on why the rule book thing is a problem and offering my perspective on why it isn’t. Nothing more to these posts than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hur
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was disappointed the base set only contained 4 Doctors, because my group felt the game got a bit stale once we'd played it a dozen or so times.

Part of the problem was also that this was one of the first 'good' DW games we'd played (most of the people I've played this with are long-term fans and a lot of the previous Who games haven't been that great), so we were really keen to get more content.
(Plus everyone wants to be their favourite Doctor - one guy in my group is really wishing we were getting the Jon Pertwee expansion!)

Still, the wait is hopefully almost over (although I suspect it might be into the second half of the year before the new packs arrive here in Australia), so TotD will definitely being seeing some table time in the coming months...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Kerguelen wrote:
Part of the problem was also that this was one of the first 'good' DW games we'd played (most of the people I've played this with are long-term fans and a lot of the previous Who games haven't been that great), so we were really keen to get more content.

I think it's more of it being one of the first DW games with a modern design philosophy. It still doesn't feel like a very good game to me, and I'd like to see GF9 or someone else take a second crack at a design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
I think it's more of it being one of the first DW games with a modern design philosophy. It still doesn't feel like a very good game to me, and I'd like to see GF9 or someone else take a second crack at a design.
I don't think there's anything wrong with the basic design, it's just a bit prone to randomness - it can get very easy to win, it never seems to get very difficult...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
logopolys wrote:
I don't think there's anything wrong with the basic design, it's just a bit prone to randomness - it can get very easy to win, it never seems to get very difficult...

I have two small problems. (1) The dice system isn't very interesting. (2) There's a significant disconnect between theme and mechanics.

This is quite apart from the incompleteness of the game, which I understand expansions would mitigate. I doubt that expansions would fix my first two problems though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
I have two small problems. (1) The dice system isn't very interesting. (2) There's a significant disconnect between theme and mechanics.
I'd dispute the first, I like it. That's just personal taste. But I'll grant you the second. Then again Doctor Who is very much a storytelling series, and the only ways I can think of to really put that in a game are the likes of T.I.M.E Stories or the randomness of games like Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game (which has very similar problems to this one...) Maybe the Buffy/Arkham Horror route would be more fitting, but there are a lot of them around now. At least dice are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
logopolys wrote:
I'd dispute the first, I like it. That's just personal taste. But I'll grant you the second. Then again Doctor Who is very much a storytelling series, and the only ways I can think of to really put that in a game are the likes of T.I.M.E Stories or the randomness of games like Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Board Game (which has very similar problems to this one...) Maybe the Buffy/Arkham Horror route would be more fitting, but there are a lot of them around now. At least dice are different.

Or indeed my Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game (Second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dragoncymru wrote:
Wulf Corbett wrote:
logopolys wrote:

Or indeed my Doctor Who: Solitaire Story Game (Second edition)

That game does well at what it tries to do, but it’s hardly a tabletop board game experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott McGinnis
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a post by GF9 on Facebook which show them at Origins in Columbus, OH and Gen Con and they state:

"We have a lot of to share with attendees this year including new expansions for Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks...".

Appropriately, there is a few comments doubtful of an actual release.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible people feel this is incomplete because "their Doctor" wasn't included in the original box? Tom Baker was the doctor I grew up with and seeing he is in the box, the game very much feels complete.

With that said, I will be picking up the 5th and 10th expansion seeing I am quite familiar with Davidson and Tennant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.