Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never played an 18xx, and am pretty interested in this.

My main concern is the "Beginners" tag. The maximum length we like to play a game is 2-3 hours, so unless this game style bites hard we would probably not venture into any of the more complex 18xx games. Assuming we enjoy it, would this game have enough variability and strategy to offer multiple replays?

As a note, we currently play medium to medium-heavy Euros such as Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail but have never ventured into Steam or the like. So possibly 18Chesapeake would be heavier and deeper than our current games, and the "beginners" tag is relative?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murr Rockstroh
United States
Fleming Island
Florida
flag msg tools
Pugs are like little people in fur coats.
badge
If it's not a Pug, it's just a dog.
mbmbmbmbmb
1846 also has a beginner's tag, and there are people in those forums that say they have 100+ plays of that game. I think you'll be fine with this one. And if you don't like it, you'll very likely be able to recover most if not all of the cost of it on the secondary market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno B
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say just pick up a relatively cheap copy of the excellent and beginner friendly 1846.

On replay-ability, I don't know 18Chesapeake as well, but I know the "beginner" titles in 18xx - 1846, 1889, 1830 to a certain extent - have a ton of replay-ability. 18xx is different from eurogames in that there is much less a cult of the new, as the games are so deep you can play them over and over without getting bored. Just my two cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbo wrote:
As a note, we currently play medium to medium-heavy Euros such as Terraforming Mars and Great Western Trail but have never ventured into Steam or the like. So possibly 18Chesapeake would be heavier and deeper than our current games, and the "beginners" tag is relative?

Rules wise, this game is much lighter than either game you mentioned. Thebdepth comes from the gameplay and interaction.

I wouldn’t try to play this game with a 7 year old, or someone who can’t do basic mental math, but anyone who can play a game like Great Western Train or Agricola can easily learn this as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perry
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am no expert, so perhaps others will be along to provide their more valuable opinion.

That being said, this game is primarily based on the classic 1830, but with some parts tweaked, sharp corners "sanded off". It should be playable in the 3 hr range so that should work for your group.

As for heaviness or depth, the rules overhead for this and indeed for 1830 on which it is based are not really all that complex. Many Euro rules are much more complicated. The depth of these games comes from their opacity: It is rather easy to determine what is allowed, it can be much more difficult to decide what you "should" do.

People have been playing 1830 for over 30 years - this too will provide plenty of variability, strategy, and replay-ability, if your group finds the game interesting and fun.

Perhaps try to find some streamed plays of other 18xx games (1830, 1889, etc.) on Youtube etc. to see if the style of game is for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it’s a great intro into the genre - even if you never get another 18xx game you can get a lot of play. i’m still sub 5 plays on Chesapeake atm (with more to come!) but 1889 I have 17 plays of (and each game is totally different).

In fact, many (though I’m flighty and play a variety of titles) choose to focus one or two titles. Eric has played like a million games of ‘46 and still loves it.

What you are playing now is prob right around where we were pre 18xx actually:-)

Totally for what ppl are saying abt watching a stream - in fact I believe the creator is planning on one (a live stream) sometime during the campaign:-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Wojtkielewicz
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
He who comes too late is punished by life.
mbmbmbmbmb
i have a playtest copy and have played a half dozen times, the rules set is simple like 1830 and 1889, but found the game takes at least 4 hours. 1889 is a lot quicker with beginners, 18ches has no such beginner rules, also the tileset and route building is more complex than 1889 which is the best beginner game, next to steam over holland, but alas is hard to find and expensive. in regards to kickstarter stretch goals, 18xx is not a genre that lends itself to these type of things. it is supposed to be minimalist. I think the genre in itself is unlike the modern board game in this respect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your feedback, that was just what I was hoping to hear.

Very excited to finally try an 18xx!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schacht
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
wojtkielewicz67 wrote:
i have a playtest copy and have played a half dozen times, the rules set is simple like 1830 and 1889, but found the game takes at least 4 hours.

With how many players? Our games with 3 or 4 are usually around 150 minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.