Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse Edelstein
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If Caesar is attacked with Ambush, Romans on a roll of 4-6 (5-6 vs Belgae) get to counterattack and randomly absorb losses to Legions & Caesar, as if no Ambush had occurred. Obviously this could turn an opportune Ambush into a rout as Legions counterattack a group of Warbands.

So, do the Gallic bots take Caesar's anti-Ambush ability into account when deciding whether to Battle? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schroeder

Dubuque
Iowa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there a special rule regarding starting a battle against Caesar for most of the bots? Like double the units at the start? I think this rule was meant to mitigate what you're referring to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmedelstein wrote:
If Caesar is attacked with Ambush, Romans on a roll of 4-6 (5-6 vs Belgae) get to counterattack and randomly absorb losses to Legions & Caesar, as if no Ambush had occurred. Obviously this could turn an opportune Ambush into a rout as Legions counterattack a group of Warbands.

So, do the Gallic bots take Caesar's anti-Ambush ability into account when deciding whether to Battle? I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find it.
The bot rules do take this into account. Generally this is worded similar to "taking into account any possible Loss rolls, Special Ability, and so on" in the evaluations.
E.g. Arverni battle includes "They do so only in Regions where they will either force at least one Loss (roll or removal) on a Legion, or will inflict more than 0 Losses and at least as many Losses on the enemy (3.3.4) as they will suffer, taking into account any possible Loss rolls, Special Ability, and so on"
Meaning you have to assume that Caesar will negate the ambush when you evaluate whether Arverni will inflict as many losses as they will suffer.

Of course they'll still gladly send warbands to their death to take out even a single Legion, but that's what the Arverni have to do to win...

Reimius wrote:
Isn't there a special rule regarding starting a battle against Caesar for most of the bots? Like double the units at the start? I think this rule was meant to mitigate what you're referring to.
Correct, though it's specifically for protecting Leaders: "First, the Arverni Battle with Vercingetorix against Romans. If Vercingetorix is with Caesar, he Battles only if the Arverni have more than twice as many mobile pieces (Warbands plus Vercingetorix) in the Region as do the Romans (Legions plus Auxilia plus Caesar) there."

The Belgae bot has basically the same instructions, but it won't suicide charge into Legions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.