Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all the kind words, and the criticisms. I’ve been writing reviews for 40 years, but am still learning.

I hope as you get a chance to play the game you’ll post further comments here to help those looking at this review to help them decide whether it’s worth their trying. After all, that’s what reviews are for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
[q="Shatners_Bassoon"]
I would add that the time per adventure/scenario is much shorter in JiME than in MoM2. For me, that’s a positive. My group stopped playing MoM2 because a single session simply took too long. We don’t have that problem with JiME.

That's good to hear. We tend toward the upper end for player counts for any boardgame we play, so that makes a scenario-based game like MoM2 or Gloomhaven even longer.

I apologize if you've answered this elsewhere, but do you record character advancement choices within the app? Perhaps I should ask the question in more important terms: can you have multiple parties running multiple instances of the campaign or do you lock in a party and advance them both inside and outside the app?

Great review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rykaar wrote:
do you record character advancement choices within the app?

Yes.

Rykaar wrote:
Perhaps I should ask the question in more important terms: can you have multiple parties running multiple instances of the campaign or do you lock in a party and advance them both inside and outside the app?

Yes, the app has 5 saved slots, so you can save up to 5 different ongoing campaigns at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Rykaar wrote:
Perhaps I should ask the question in more important terms: can you have multiple parties running multiple instances of the campaign or do you lock in a party and advance them both inside and outside the app?

Yes, the app has 5 saved slots, so you can save up to 5 different ongoing campaigns at the same time.

and that are just the 5 slots the app provides.
With a bit of file system shuffling you can have as many save games as you like, as the savegame slots are independent folders that you can move around as long as the slot numbering fits.

(may be problematic if you use archived savegames while changing app versions or included expansions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason K
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
Thank you for all the kind words, and the criticisms. I’ve been writing reviews for 40 years, but am still learning.

I hope as you get a chance to play the game you’ll post further comments here to help those looking at this review to help them decide whether it’s worth their trying. After all, that’s what reviews are for.

Sir: No matter what the situation, you always remain a gentleman!

I bought the game yesterday, hesitating, because (while I enjoy Mansions 2e), I’m not usually a big fan of apps due to the need to access something outside the box in order to play.

That being said, the mechanics (as explained) sound interesting - and I often find myself agreeing with you in other matters. I would have liked to discuss the virtues of the app a little more before buying, but also understand the need to avoid flame wars.

In the end, I do love Tolkien and, for the most part, FFG. So, I’m taking the leap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GreatDebate wrote:
SirRoke wrote:

Sir: No matter what the situation, you always remain a gentleman!

I bought the game yesterday, hesitating, because (while I enjoy Mansions 2e), I’m not usually a big fan of apps due to the need to access something outside the box in order to play.

That being said, the mechanics (as explained) sound interesting - and I often find myself agreeing with you in other matters. I would have liked to discuss the virtues of the app a little more before buying, but also understand the need to avoid flame wars.

In the end, I do love Tolkien and, for the most part, FFG. So, I’m taking the leap...

Thank you. I try, fail, and try again.

If folks want to discuss the app more, go for it! I shall refrain from chiming in to let others have their say.

And you might want to check out the several other threads on the app in this game’s forums too.

The app is certainly a major component needed to play this game.

Good luck! And be sure and let us know what you think of the game when you have a chance to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Frantz
United States
State College
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirRoke wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:
I was reading the rules yesterday, but had a question. Is it true that an enemy will attack not only in the shadow phase, but will also immediately attack you if you attack and fail to defeat them?

Yes.

“If an enemy is not defeated, it regains all of its armor and sorcery, and it may be prompted to counterattack.”

You can’t just have all players jump on a group of Orcs and pound them into the ground repeatedly without their ever getting in even a single attack back.

This makes having good defenses really important too.

But does the counterattack exhaust the enemy? Or can they attack again in the shadow phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
tribefan07 wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:
I was reading the rules yesterday, but had a question. Is it true that an enemy will attack not only in the shadow phase, but will also immediately attack you if you attack and fail to defeat them?

Yes.

“If an enemy is not defeated, it regains all of its armor and sorcery, and it may be prompted to counterattack.”

You can’t just have all players jump on a group of Orcs and pound them into the ground repeatedly without their ever getting in even a single attack back.

But does the counterattack exhaust the enemy? Or can they attack again in the shadow phase?

If it counters, it stays exhausted (so, no further attacks during Shadow)
If an unexhausted enemy is provoked, however, it doesn't exhaust after attacking (so, it can attack again)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scarlet Witch wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:
SirRoke wrote:
tribefan07 wrote:

Yes.

If it counters, it stays exhausted (so, no further attacks during Shadow)
If an unexhausted enemy is provoked, however, it doesn't exhaust after attacking (so, it can attack again)

I’ll add “Elite enemy groups can counterattack heroes even if the enemy group is exhausted.“
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice review.

1. If one loves playing MoM2 do you still need this one?
What does it add ?

2. What number of characters do you consider best for solo play?

3. I bet you 10.000 dollars the App - at least in PC format will be available longer than any present day member of BGG will live.
My Avalon Hill computer assist boardgames from 1981 work better than ever on my Surface tablet...
So i have no clue what you mean about limited life. tldr: Apple policy was replaced by emulation mode decades ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Noch gibt es dies Land nur im Geiste, doch stehen wir wachsam bereit. Am Feuer erklingen die Lieder für eine bessere Zeit.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no Rich, but I've played enough of these games to offer my vision on the matter:

Ben_Bos wrote:
1. If one loves playing MoM2 do you still need this one?
What does it add ?

It's certainly an improvement / a variation over MoM for a number of reasons:

a) campaign play implemented and possibility of levelling up characters and items
b) timers are visible while in Mansions are hidden: in Mansions you never really know how much time is missing before it's too late, while here there are specific rules for threat advancement and you see a threat bar telling you how near the end is. Also, on the threat bar there's evidence of threat events, so, you know also when the bad stuff arrives
c) scenarios in JiME are faster (never went above 90 minutes), which imo is a plus over the 3+ hours of some MoM scenarios (I have limited time to play, and in case I can play a second JiME game if wanted)
d) replayability in JiME is higher: the procedural generation of maps works better than in MoM and there's actually greater differences in maps if you repeat the scenario
e) combat is more interesting in JiME because of keywords: enemy units can have some units making them immune, or less incline to, suffering some damage, or they can have some damage boosted (for example a Terrifying enemy will do more Fear damage, and so on)

Quote:
2. What number of characters do you consider best for solo play?

So far we played this game a lot 2p and 3p and with both player counts it works marvels. I haven't tried it at higher player counts

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Julia.

It sure looks very tempting now.

One last question: I love MoM2, but there is one annoying thing that prevents it from being perfect and those are these annoying puzzles that really put me out of the story telling.

I already tweak that with 1 Clue equals 2 trials for the puzzle solving as I find them too annoying and quite frankly it hurts the game overall.

Are there similar puzzles in LotR: Journeys?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauli Vinni
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a chuch, but there Are Deduction scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Pauli said, we have no puzzles at all in JiME, so no worries here. There's a few scenarios where you have to work out through clues (1 that I remember in the core set), but in case you don't want to investigate

Spoiler (click to reveal)
it's just a tougher scenario finale. Further spoiler on win-loss conditions in the game:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
you don't have to win every scenario in order to win the campaign. Sometimes you can cash in a defeat and still move forward - in that case it's worth noticing you'll earn fewer experience points, but that's quite a just rule considering heroes didn't achieve a full victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Julia! Good answers.

I don’t have much more to add. I agree with what was said about MoM2 vs JiME. I just found MoM2 too long and JiME is shorter.

As to solo play, I’ve only played with 2-4 players.

But be aware the app will NOT let you start with just one hero. It requires a minimum of two. So if you’re playing solo, you’ll have to play at least two heroes.

I will say that JiME characters are easier to play multiples of than most. Each onlynhas a small deck and maybe 2-4 items/weapons in play and a max of 4 prepped cards. Compared to some games where you have to manage entire hands of cards or displays of a dozen, this is much easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.