5 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Raiders of the North Sea vs Champions of Midgard rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Besaliel
Indonesia
flag msg tools
before we started let me emphasize that i know this 2 games are compared a lot, but most of the thread doesn't fulfill some of my question

recently I want to buy one of them (mutually exclusive), my main partner for gaming is my SO but occasionally i have some friend come over so i want to know which one of these game that scale up well and still good at 2

maybe these two question that came up in my mind for determining which one to buy
1. Which one better with two?
2. Which one scale better? or are both of them scale well?
3. Which one still good at max player count? (5 for CoM and 6 for RotNS)

bonus question: Personally which one you like?

Thank you for any help you can offer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlene
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't really be of much help cos I like both of them kinda equally. Both are good with 2 as well (it's the only way I've played them). Hopefully someone else can chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me Raiders of the North Sea is more enjoyable. If you want to play 6 players I think you have to get all the expansions. The base game plays up to 4.

I haven't played Champions of Midgard with 2, but I like Raiders at all player counts up to 5. I've never done 6. I think it would probably be too long. I also think 5 player Champions is too long.

For me the theme comes through more in Champions, but the gameplay of Raiders is better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Besaliel
Indonesia
flag msg tools
fortyfive wrote:

For me the theme comes through more in Champions, but the gameplay of Raiders is better.

as for the theme champion definitely "more fun" as you slay monster but i content enough with more grounded theme in raider

thanks for the input

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'm really fond of both and consider them my top 2 favorite worker placement games. Here's my advice:

1. I personally find CoM better with 2 players. Raiders is "okay" at 2 but certainly feels like the weaker option.

2. Both scale well. I think Midgard is best with 4 and Raiders may be best at 3.

3. While both technically still function fine at higher player counts, I personally avoid more than 4 with either. Worker placement games in general drag out the more players you have and I find that both games overstay their welcome ever-so-slightly at 5. I would never dare play Raiders with 6. Way too many.

Here's my additional, parting advice on both:

If you want to go the direction of Raiders, you should know that the game is significantly more fun and interesting with one or both expansions. Ranked by base game alone, I'd call Raiders a "7". Absolutely a good game but not a completely mind-blowing one. Raiders + one expansion I'd rate an "8" and with both expansions, a "9".

With Midgard on the other hand, I personally find that the expansions kind of break the game and I don't personally enjoy playing with either. Yes, they add interesting new content but Dark Mountains removes some of the contention for placing workers (unless playing with 5 players) and Valhalla throws the scoring balance out of whack and definitely adds to the game's length and complexity.

These are just personal opinions, of course. If you're willing to go all-in on expansions, I think Raiders is the better deal. If you want the most solid and interesting base game, I'd say Midgard has it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.