Popular Tags: [View All]
Flawed Hero
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our 5th playtest of SoT. I as the US player had drawn Attack on Tripoli and Treaty Signed pretty early in the game, and managed to hold them to the end.

Once 1805 rolled around, the only thing keeping the Treaty from being signed was a lone frigate in Tripoli harbor. My intention was to try and win via Treaty, but I'd just conquered Derne so I wanted the military option kept open just in case. I held the cards Eaton attacks Benghazi, Treaty Signed, Attack on Tripoli, Send in Marines, and some other basic ones.

Fall of 1805: there are 6 Tripolitan troops in Benghazi. There are 4 corsairs and that lone frigate in Tripoli, as well as a few troops.
US plays Thomas Jefferson in order to attack Tripoli, hoping to exterminate that single Tripolitan frigate so the Treaty can be signed. 6 US ships are sent in and the opposing frigate is successfully sunk. Then the Tripolitan player pulls out a surprise - Signal Books Overboard, forcing a US discard. Eaton attacks Benghazi is drawn and discarded, effectively stranding the US army in Derne and ensuring at least a draw. With the military option off the table, the fate of the game is up to the Tripolitan player's next move. They attempt a pirate raid, evading my blockade and gaining 2 coins to give them a total of 8. But it proves to be a moot point as the US then plays Treaty Signed and takes the game!

The endgame tension was welcome and fresh. The Tripolitan player had flirted with victory a few times during the game, once gaining 10 coins but losing a few after. And by 1805 they had sunk 3 US frigates, needing one more for the win.

Fun game; hoping for some more card variety to come, but so far we are loving the playtesting!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.