Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading a lot about Korchnoi lately as there have been a number of articles and books published since his passing a few years back.

One of the more interesting observations that I have come across I thought I would share...

I always wondered why the Soviet Government hated Korchnoi so much and thought most of it was tied to how out spoken he was but one author put forward this interesting idea.

The Soviets hated him so much because they could not just expunge him from their consciousness because he was a chess player. other famous defectors such as authors, scientists, or artists could be ignored but Korchnoi, because he was a chess player and the results of major chess tournaments were reported in all the Soviet media, he was always "in their face". And this inability to just ignore him fueled the anger and hatred of the communist leadership.

One can see how this would be totally galling: it would be like going to your place of work each day and seeing posters, etc... of your worst enemy plastered everywhere. That would be extremely annoying to put it mildly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I have been reading a lot about Korchnoi lately as there have been a number of articles and books published since his passing a few years back.

I'd love to see a list of your favorite books/links on the subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an excellent article in New in Chess after his passing (Can't remember what issue off the top of my head).

The book Evildoer was very interesting especially from a personal stand point.

Of course his autobiography Chess is My Life is good (even if some critical parts of missing).

There is also a brand new book by Soltis that just came out called Tal, Spassky, Petrosian, and Korchnoi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reuven Fischer
United States
Bala Cynwyd
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim.... We need to play. Another Fischer-Korchnoi game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gruven_reuven wrote:
Tim.... We need to play. Another Fischer-Korchnoi game :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.